main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA *** EVENT: RENAISSANCE FAIRE - SAT 4th APRIL, 2009 ***

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AboutaSith, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    WHAT: Day Trip to the Renn Faire
    WHEN: Saturday, April 4th, TIME TBA
    WHERE: Santa Fe Dam, Irwindale
    EVENT & TICKET INFO: http://renfair.com/socal/

Thread started to link to updated website. :-B

2. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    Ouch...

If I have any hope at all of going to the Disneyland Fan Day, this is out. [face_tired]

3. Darth_Cookie_Monster

Darth_Cookie_Monster Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2008
    Glad to see that a tread has already been started on this, but I?d like to give some insiders info to those of you going. It?s a big post, but it has some good info in it.

First: on the renfair.com/socal page look for the coupon section. Adult tickets on opening weekend are on a 2fer deal. So instead of $25, you and a buddy can get in for $12.50 each. Kids (5-12) tickets are still $15.

Second: come prepared. It will be HOT! (Since its first weekend it may not be that dusty). But it will be a HOT environment. Wear appropriate clothing to keep cool and bring your own shade (hats, umbrella, etc.) wear comfy walking shoes; it is 1 mile from the front gate to the back. And you may be doing a lot of back and forth for shows, food, games, etc.

Third: WATER. DRINK WATER. DRINK LOTS OF WATER! I can?t tell you how many customers I see/hear about going down for heat related problems. There is a heat/first aid station set up at the faire site, but there are better things to see while you are there. Bring a gallon (or two) of water in the car and bring in smaller bottles of water to carry with you. There are fountains at the faire site but their quality/ operational status may be in question. You can get a hand stamp to return to your car to refill the bottles. (Yes you can buy water at the ale stands, but it?s pricey, save your $$$ for other things).

Also remember, water hydrates you (a good thing), stuff like caffeine, sugar, and alcohol de-hydrates you (a bad thing when done a lot). Most of the time when people are thirsty (slightly dehydrated) they will drink a cola and think they are fine. But in truth their thirst is only smothered by the caffeine and sugar now rushing thru their system. And then they want another soda 20 minuets later. A good rule of thumb is for every glass/cup of non-water that you drink, you should drink 2 glasses/cups of water. One cup to replace what you lost in drinking the non-water, and another cup to replace what you lost naturally (sweating). Gatorade is the exception; HOWEVER, you should not be drinking straight Gatorade all the time. When you sweat, you loose water and other stuffs that you body needs to function (electrolytes). Gatorade has the electrolytes and some water, but not all the water you need. So it?s OK to drink the Gatorade, but drink water too. So once again WATER. DRINK LOTS OF WATER!

Fourth: Costumes. Costumes are encouraged, from any era/ time period/ movie/ video games/ whatever. It really changes your Faire going experience coming in costume as opposed to ?normal? clothes. And besides, it?s another chance to dress up, always fun for everyone.

Fifth: take a break. Like Disneyland running around without taking a break will leave everyone tired and crabby and may end the day prematurely. Sit in the benches for a bit. Take in a stage show and enjoy the shade. Get off your feet and enjoy what?s around you. There is A LOT of things to see at the Faire, and if you wait quite a few of them will come to you.

And Lastly: BATTLE PAGENT. If you like sword fights, blood and glory (and who doesn?t?) they you?ll want to see the battle pageant. But here?s the trick, it?s not listed on the flyers or schedules. It takes place in the horse tournament arena in the tail end of the faire at around about noon. That means that you really need to get to the Faire as early as possible and make a bee line to the end of the faire to make the show time. This is hard because they will be lots of other interesting distractions along the way. I would highly recommend watching it, (and I?m not just saying that because I?m in it). But it is a very well put together bit of stage fighting between two armies consisting of the English and the Scottish/Irish side (about 200 people altogether). Lots of fun. Go see it!!!

If you have any other questions just ask. And I?ll see you at the faire!!

4. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    Hm...a twofer, you say? [face_thinking] I'd take my sister but she's already got commitments that weekend.

Well, if I had a way to get there, sounds like fun. I'd LOVE to dress up, but I doubt I could scavenge enough material to make an overskirt in time. I've still got the rest of my costume from the last time I went (LOL about five years ago!), though.

5. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I'm sorry to say, but I'm not going to be able to make it the Ren Fair. Money is just too tight.

6. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Aw, bummer!!

7. jangosmom

jangosmom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2005
    I'm really sad to say that I'm not going to be able to make this either... for several reasons. I'm really sorry!!!

8. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Is anyone else planning on going?

9. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    Won't be able to attend :)

10. jedi_onasi

jedi_onasi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    I can't. I really wanted to though. :_| Maybe next time.

11. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Hmm, if no one else is going we might not go either. It also happens to be the same day that my church is holding the Easter egg hunt.

12. Darth_Cookie_Monster

Darth_Cookie_Monster Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2008
    did ANY body go? I mean aside those of us who work there?

13. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Sorry Kevin, as I mentioned, we didn't go since no one else was going.

14. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Sorry Kevin, but money is really tight. I just couldn't afford it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.