main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Event! - Saturday, May 21st Southaven Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by TK_1427, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Hasbro has asked me if I could get as many people in costume as possible for something they are doing at the Southaven Wal-Mart on the above date for the release of ROTS. Let me know if you would like to attend so I can tell them yay or nay. We trooped this Wal-Mart on Sunday during the 48 Hours Of The Force event. The Manager was awesome and totally bent over backward for us. The Hasbro rep was also awesome. I'd bet we posed for well over 1000 pictures in four hours that day and I believe we had the best turnout of costumers out of all 400 Wal-Marts that got the tents. Anyway, this will be a blast if we attend so let me know. And yes, I'll actually show up for this one :p

2. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Ooh! Me! Count me in!! :)

3. Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    i'm in... well, if having someone wearing a semi-decent jedi costume is costume is a costume you're interested in :p

4. kellrob

kellrob Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2004
    If Rob and I don't have anything come up between now and then, we can be there in our costumes.

Kelly

5. Schmootika

Schmootika Jedi Master star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    What time do we need to gather??

6. TK_1427

Oct 12, 2003
    I'm not sure on the times yet. If there is enough interest to attend, I'll find out the details. By the way Schmootika, welcome!

7. Schmootika

Schmootika Jedi Master star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    Thank you.....I hope to have my outfit ready by the midnight showing of EPIII and should be available to go to the Wal-Mart but my "man servant" works on Saturday afternoon and I don't think I could handle an outing and the little one. Just let me know when.

8. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Count me in- now that I know where ALL the parts to my costume are at!

9. TK_1427

Oct 12, 2003
    Well, it looks like there is enough interest to do this. Anyone else wanna attend???

10. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    I'd like to go, but I don't have my Sith outfit completed. As a matter of fact, I haven't even started on it yet...

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Chuck: I'll most likely be there. What time are they doing this? Also, I need to make sure it won't conflict with anything that 94.1 The Buzz isn't trying to get us to do.

12. TK_1427

Oct 12, 2003
    So far, it is tenatively noon to 4pm but I should get a final answer tommorow. Kevin, just show up anyway and maybe bring Muley with you too.

13. Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    any more details about this event? what exactly will we be doing and what will be going on?

14. blackdogotaku

blackdogotaku Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    if i am in town i will come

EDIT: nevermind, im outta town
    so u guys can have fun without, like normal

15. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    Hey, where can I find a cheap Jedi costume for like a 2 year old for Muley?

I'm hoping to start working this weekend on my Sith outfit.

16. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Shame this isn't closer to Halloween we could get one from the Spirits shop.

A youth karate gi and some leg wrappings, obi and you've got yourself a Luke Mulewalker!

BTW- does anyone want to try and do a family day ROTS movie matinee after it, or the next day/Sunday? I know a lot of the events we're doing are going to be pretty late for the kiddies. I may try and see if I can get my nephew to hang out with me for one afternoon to go see it.

17. TK_1427

Oct 12, 2003
    I still haven't heard anything new about times yet. So I say it will be noon to 4pm unless I hear different. We will basically be there for atmosphere for customers and pose for a crap load of pics for customers also. That's about it.

18. TK_1427

Oct 12, 2003
    Kevin, check out ebay for youth jedi costumes. That's all I can think of unless you make it yourself. I think there is a pattern you can get at Hancock.

19. TK_1427

Oct 12, 2003
    The new requirement of dues will prevent us from being able to participate. So you guys can show up or cancel this.

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    No. I do want you to keep this up and going, Chuck. Please see my post in the Dues thread.

Anyway, this isn't really an SMT event. It's being ran by Walmart.

21. MisterBlunt

MisterBlunt Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    Chuck, get a grip, man. What did you do, copy and paste to every thread we have that has anything to do with getting together?

This is your event. In fact, I assumed, since they asked YOU, that it was a 501st event, and we were just invited as guests.

The Dues Tim set up have very specific rules and if you can't take the time to read them and understand them, STOP BITCHING!

So, come to game night, come to Free Comic Book Day. In fact, come to everything before May 14th. Dues aren't technically in effect yet.

Bottom line is: Don't get your underarmor in a bind, trooper!

Sincerely,
    Jacob
    Your friendly dark lord of tactlessness.

22. TK_1427

Oct 12, 2003
    Jacob, I'm not an idiot. I have been able to read since kindigarten. I have read and understand the dues thing. If you go back and actually read and understand what I posted you wouldn't start attacking me like that. But to save you the trouble, I cannot afford a single penny, literally!!!!!!!!!!! Not in full, not in payments, not at all!!!!!!!!!!! So, I will not be participating with this club until I can afford to just give away $35. It's not fair to everyone if I show up to things and am the only one who didn't pay dues. And I am not going to show up for things and be constantly hounded with a donation jar in my face that I cannot put anything into. It's my decision to back off until I can participate equally(Actually, it probably is Tim's). I'm not bitching about anything. I clearly stated that I agree with the implementation of dues. And the Wal-Mart thing was not a 501st event. It was to be a SMT event that the 501st was invited to. In fact, none of them, outside the local ones, even know about it. I was doing this for us not them. When I found out that some of the upcoming events are not SMT sponsered events, I actually decided to go since I do not have to worry about the dues thing. But if everyone is going to start being so negative tward me, then screw it. I'm done.

23. MisterBlunt

Apr 6, 2005
    Honestly, I don't know you that well, Chuck, but my appraisal of you thus far was thus: No, you are not an idiot. I never said you were.

But, you clearly missed the point of my post, which was to not get your panties in a bind.

Tim isn't starting dues to single anyone out. The club is just doing what should have been done long ago--that is to say, organizing the club into an infrastructure that will support itself in order release Tim from an unnecessary, personal, financial burden.

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    First of all, a quick apology to my fellow SMT members for taking this thread so far off topic.

Chuck: First of all, the decision for you to back out of everything has been yours, not mine. I cannot keep you from coming to public SMT events, nor do I want to. I want you to be able to participate. And our asking for donations is no different than when you visit a church, so I don't feel bad about us doing that. I understand that you're unemployed and broke. I wish I could change that for you, but I cannot. I know that you're uncomfortable with not being able to contribute. However, just like church, donations are only suggested, not mandatory.

However, you say you support the collection of dues, then you go and say that the decision of your not participating was probably mine. It sounds to me like you really do mind the dues. But, to be honest, and to a certain extent, I do mind the large amount of money I shelled out for 2 1/2 years to keep the club going and keep everyone entertained and happy. Did anyone ask me to do it? No. Did it hurt me financially? Yes. Did I do it because I loved the club? Absolutely. So, with that bit of honestly out of the way, it really makes me think that everything was fine as long as there was a free ride involved, but the moment we pull over to fill up the tank to keep the club moving, then some folks have a problem passing some cash up to the driver.

I honestly feel that I've done all that I can to make it affordable. $3.50 a month is cheaper than one pack of cigarettes or a burger from McDonalds. While I completely understand financial problems, (having been there myself more than once), I do want to ask you this: Given your current financial situation, how were you going to react to situations where you were asked to bring money to chip in for pizza and snacks, or where you were asked to bring food or drinks? With or without dues, those things would still happen within club functions. Were you going to exclude yourself from those functions because you couldn't afford it?

The whole reasoning behind dues was to make the club self-financed instead of relying on certain members to foot the bill. Members leave, and they take their money with them. As long as the club is dependent on a few people, then it is in danger of falling apart at the loss of certain members.

While I wish I could afford to continue to finance the club, the sad reality is that I am not a rich man. I'm not even remotely well-off. If I had said "screw this" and stepped down two years ago, there probably wouldn't be an SMT right now (and I have been told this by several of our members). So, before I hear any more whining about the dues not being fair, or the dues excluding people, ask yourself this: Was it fair to me to foot a good portion of the bill for two years of partying for the entire club? Was it fair to me to build a $2000 outdoor theater that everyone enjoyed (and still seems to enjoy) immensely, but that very few even bothered offering to pitch in on the cost? If I were still footing the bill and had never brought up dues, would you be telling me right now that you're not coming because you can't afford to bring a bag of buns and some chips (while I'm buying $150 worth of plates, cups, meat, etc)?

Frankly, I think we offer enough to make $35 a year seem cheap. I originally started off thinking $50 a year, but I dropped that amount in hopes of getting more paid memberships. I apologize if you feel this new policy excludes you from participating when it certainly does not. However, I will not apologize for asking the members of this organization to start contributing financially to keep this club in existence.

25. MisterBlunt

Apr 6, 2005
    If you go back and actually read and understand what I posted... I'm not bitching about anything...

If you go back and read what you posted, you will realize that you posted the same complaint in a bunch of threads that it didn't apply to, like this one.

And I am not going to show up for things and be constantly hounded with a donation jar in my face that I cannot put anything into.

You think people are going to be shaking a tin in your face? That donation is completely voluntary and is for things like food and supplementary expenses for club activities and club-related activities.
    We will probably have the container out in plain sight and announce that it is there and that is it.

But if everyone is going to start being so negative tward me, then screw it. I'm done.

Don't mistake frankness for negativity. The violins you started playing for yourself in every thread on the other hand...

Mister Blunt is here so that everyone who reads what he says will understand that he is only being honest--not trying to start anything, just say what needs being said.

So, I repeat, don't get your dander up, trooper. Participate in what you can and support us when you are able, and we will continue to send good thoughts (and prayers from those of us who do) your way so y'all can get back on your feet.

BTW, what kind of work are you looking for? Maybe someone here will be able to point you in the right direction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.