main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Event that is Most Damaging to Your Perception of the Star Wars Universe

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MidKnighT, Jan 7, 2016.

?

Which Event is the Most Damaging To Your View of the Star World Universe?

1. Darth Vader / Anakin portrayal in the PT (happy go lucky kid then annoying teenager)

16 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Jar Jar Binks (the character in general) in the PT

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Prequel Trilogy Ruining Other Characters (Boba Fett, C-3PO built by Ani ,Flying R2-D2, Yoda)

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Midichlorians (TPM)

14 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. Anakin and Padme's cheesy love story in the PT

9 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Ewoks Beating Storm Troopers in ROTJ

8 vote(s)
    7.4%
  7. Special Edition Changes (Greedo shooting first, cheesy Jabba Palace musical, Hayden ghost, CGI...)

7 vote(s)
    6.5%
  8. Kylo Ren being an annoying and wimpy Vader fanboy

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  9. Finn dueling with a light saber with no force experience, Rey being a Mary Sue

11 vote(s)
    10.2%
  10. Other

33 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    When I witnessed The Force Awakens.

2. TheSlave1

TheSlave1 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2015
    Starkiller killing every iconic character I know and love.

3. PTdefender3

PTdefender3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2015
    anakinfan edit : Nope. Discuss the films, not the fans.

4. TheSlave1

TheSlave1 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2015
    Why do some people not like TFA? I really want an in depth reason, no saying "Rey is a Mary Sue", or Kylo Ren is Emo", or "its too similar too A New Hope". Those are overused and more nit picky than real problems, the acting is good, the editing, the practical effects, the Characters are epic, I just don't see how you cant like it beside your hatred for Disney owning it.

5. borgrel

borgrel Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2016
    TheSlave1

Sure the acting is good and the special effects are fine but i'll disagree that the characters are epic.

The problems with TFA have to do with the Starwars Universe not the movie itself.
    The fact that that Disney takes a massive dump on the entire fandom isn't great but it could be ignored if they actually did 20 minutes of research and made a movie that is a good Starwars Movie rather than just a good movie. TFA might be a good movie but if you wish to call it a Starwars movie its crap.

The events that happen in TFA make the events in all the previous movies ludicrous because it doesn't respect the lore (even if you ignore the extended universe and only pull examples from the 6 original movies and the animated series as Disney claims is all that matters) there are so many contradictions that nothing makes sense.
    1) Jumping to hyperspace from inside a hanger ...... *WTF* *WTF* *WTF* ..... how many times would this have been useful in the previous movies?? the fact that it was never done before infers that its a physical impossibility, if it could be done it WOULD have been done before. It was made ABSOLUTELY clear that a hyperspace jump requires MINUTES of calculations, not seconds ... not to mention that the falcon hyperspace drive was malfunctioning making it LESS effective not more. Which Han and Rey had a very long conversation about to make sure everyone could understand. And then poof if does something impossible faster than it possibly can if its running perfectly.
    2) Jumping through a forcefield ..... I can't even put enough *WTF*'s here to express how incomprehensible this is. The forcefield is a piece of military tech SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to prevent such an obvious weakness. And if the falcon could jump why couldn't the X-wings? They are jump capable. Why do they even NEED to lower the forcefield if this is possible. It makes the entire forcefield expedition forced, nonsensical and pointless. Why didn't they use this tactic on the death star?
    3) Jumping into (or out of) a gravity field ... this is an EXPLICITLY impossible occurrence (rather than implicitly as with the previous two examples) I do believe there is an Interdictor in one of the movies , if not there definitely is one in the animated series. Besides if jumping from anywhere to anywhere is possible how to you explain concepts like a blockade (which can, based on TFA, just be jumped past) or statements in the previous movies like "they are moving their ships into a position to prevent us from fleeing"
    4) Han Solo ....... I cant believe this even has to be explained, he is characterized as the epitome of a survivor, he always has a plan, he can always escape. TFA reinforces this with the scene where *TWO* criminal organizations hunt him down and corner his and he escapes. The movie makes it clear that for the entire 30 years since the previous movie he has been living exactly like prior to the original trilogy, fast and loose always running always chased always surviving. And then after characterizing him this way, how does the story continue .... Han acts like Jar Jar "I have no plan, I have no idea, I have no angle ..... I'm just going to push all sorts of buttons and hope it works" It made me nauseous to watch. And then he confronts the bad guy without a plan or trick and dies like an extra in Jurassic Park, it made no sense AT ALL. Han in the original trilogy probably could have captured that punk in about 3 dozen different ways and drag him off world for a chat in a controlled environment but in TFA .... ??? *WTF*

TFA does not have a story line: Its just a montage of all the coolest scenes from the previous movies chewing-gummed together with some illogical dialogue and the minimal amount of forced plot to reach the next epic scene. But it is true that the acting is good.

(FYI, i have said all this before and i have never said something like "Rey is a Mary Sue"
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/anyone-prefer-the-force-awakens.50039242/page-2#post-53326782
    in this thread even .......
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...r-wars-universe.50037442/page-3#post-53313429
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-point-where-you-said-hmmm.50039123/#post-53312274)

Ezon Pin likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  7. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    borgrel it's approximately thirty years after Return Of The Jedi, technology could've advanced to wear it doesn't take as long to jump into hyperspace. Also, maybe no one tried to jump to hyperspace from a hanger before because it wasn't possible before technological advancements. I know this could be viewed as a huge excuse(trust me, I get your point and have a few complaints about TFA myself) but the Falcon escaping the gang how it did, didn't bother me.

Falcon jumped through the forcefield because of a refresher that could not prevent ships at lightspeed from entering. Entering at light speed is practically suicidal so realistically The Falcon should've crashed into the ground but I'll let it pass just because Han Solo is a great pilot.

I am somewhat disappointed with how they handled Han Solo in TFA. Seemed more cowardly than ever. I'm fine with him going back to smuggling though. TFA makes him just seem like a loser

I agree that there are too many scenes that copy the original films. It's like an OT remix/mash-up with new visual effects. It does have a storyline though(even if it did copy too much).

I'm not astounded by TFA but I'm not disappointed. Overall it's okay and I hope they improve with Episode 8

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. borgrel

borgrel Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2016
    That would only make sense if the falcon had not been mothballed on a dead-end planet in the care of a thief with incompetent technical skills.
    If it had a new ship or a prototype, you might have a point but you don't.

I am not sure what you mean by refresher, I notice how you don't respond to the impossibility of jumping inside a gravity field.

9. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    borgrel Apparently the Falcon had been stolen multiple times between ROTJ and TFA so who knows what modifications were made on it.

And the shield around Starkiller Base had a fractional refresh rate that is necessary for a shield of it's size, which was a flaw that allowed a ship to break through if the ship exited hyperspace in time. That was the explanation in the film for how the Falcon could make it through.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    ObiWanKnowsMe wrote

And the shield around Starkiller Base had a fractional refresh rate that is necessary for a shield of it's size, which was a flaw that allowed a ship to break through if the ship exited hyperspace in time. That was the explanation in the film for how the Falcon could make it through.

Considering that Starkiller Base can move and probably isn't on the official star charts, it's an astonishing accomplishment to pinpoint its actual location in space at a certain moment in time... ;)

Valiowk and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

o·pin·ion
    əˈpinyən/
    noun
    plural noun: opinions
    1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Padmes_love_slave24 likes this.
  12. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Re: how come the X-Wings can't just fly through Starkiller's shields at lightspeed like the Falcon, the answer to that is simple. It's because the Falcon has Han Solo, the most daring, most reckless, most skilled, most nutsy, most galdarned lucky pilot in the whole galaxy at the controls. It simply wouldn't have worked for anyone else.

This is a terribly depressing thread.

Sarge likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  14. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    You missed one OP, TCW bringing Maul, a clearly dead character back to life with no explanation. That is why I voted other, Maul's resurrection.

Davak24, Italian Ackbar and Sarge like this.
  15. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    The most damaging event in SW? Easily when that one creature farts during the flag parade and Jar Jar's reaction to it in TPM. That does not belong in any SW movie at all, but it would be right at home in an Adam Sandler film.

16. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Slicer87, borgrel and darskpine10 like this.
  17. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    I agree that Maul surviving is pretty farfetched, even by Star Wars standards. However by bringing him back they were actually able to bring some life to an otherwise blank character. They gave him a new motivation, backstory, and relationships (not to mention some great action scenes). I don't see how this is damaging really. Still, to each his own.

What really makes me hate that moment is that it ruins one of my favorite scenes in that movie. I'm busy admiring the great looking podracers and amazing sound design as epic music comes up signaling the start of the race - and then they ruin it by inserting a lame, nasty fart joke. This completely ruins the mood of the scene.

18. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015

lol The whole movie? You must be fun to be around.

19. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    If Clone Wars/Rebels count then the survival of Maul. If he can survive, then who's to say Qui-Gon really died? Maybe it was a fake out? What about Windu? He should be alive. If someone can survive being cut in half, then surely someone can survive being thrown out a window via lightning?

It really throws off the suspension of disbelief

DarthCricketer, Valiowk and Sarge like this.
  20. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013

Expanding a backstory or giving new motivation isn't always a good thing, sometimes by expanding a character you can decay him or her. Sometimes less is more which I believe is the case for Maul, IMO he doesn't really need a backstory, and every Sith's motivation is power. Being a Sith himself, he wants to fulfill Sid's plans to raise their order into power. Also by bringing Maul back, it greatly diminishes Obi-Wan's character since he didn't kill a Sith, the reason he was granted knighthood, so to me it is a double whammy. Those TCW episodes of Maul aren't good enough to justify diminishing TPM over.

How about in ROTJ where that creature burbs in front of Jabba's palace? Or in TESB where a creature eats and throws up R2D2, and then he is shown covered in vomit and expels vomit from one of his panels?

21. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    Personally, I don't think the resurrection of Maul hurts Obi-Wan's character. He's still the first Jedi in a millennium to come into contact with a Sith and live. He still defeated him, and he did it when he was a padawan, which only makes his achievement greater.

With those scenes, however, they are only a few seconds long (although I don't particularly care for the creature in ROTJ). The scene with Jar Jar completely kills an otherwise awesome scene. Not only does the creature fart, but then we see Jar Jar react and say probably the dumbest line in the whole movie, if not the whole series.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  22. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    The R2 covered in vomit scene lasts longer than a few seconds. Later when R2 is peeking into Yoda's hut, he is still covered in vomit the poor droid, probably ruin his finish.

23. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I never had a problem with that scene despite the vomitting allusions. On the contrary, it illustrated why Artoo was so vocal about complaining that they had gotten to Dagobah in the first place ("This planet makes me sick" or something along these lines).

24. Rapeliina

Rapeliina Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2016
    I agree with the resurrection of Maul. Bringing him back from the dead took away a lot of his charming mysteriousness that he had in TPM. And hey, the guy got cut in half! But his scenes in Rebels are ok, and now I have hope that we might see Obi-Wan in the series to finally finish him off. This time for good. *fingers crossed*

But anyway, I actually voted for cheesy love story between Anakin and Padme. I personally find Anakin very annoying whiny little bitch, but I understand it. It's important, storywise. What I don't like is the dialogue and interaction between Anakin and Padme. Phrase that I see in this forum a lot "I don't like sand..." is just one of them. "No, that's because I'm so in love with you!" or the freaking floating pear!

25. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    "No. I am your father."

WTF is this? Ben told Luke his father was betrayed and murdered by Darth Vader. This single event caused me to never take Star Wars seriously again. Obviously the writers have no idea where this story is going. What next? Leia is Luke's sister? That would just be horrendous. And what if she admitted knew the whole time? This isn't Game of Thrones! At least I thought it wasn't.

I mean, really? Just for fun, here's one more: What if Obi-Wan was only trained by Yoda for a short time, then was trained by someone else for most of his life. Yeesh. That seems just about as dumb as Luke's father being essential in the creation of one of the droids. Or the Empire making a second Death Star. No, worse! A third Death Star that is actually built into a planet that can suck up and sun and destroy multiple planets with one blast!

Okay, I am not taking this thread seriously at all. Obviously. Not saying other have no reason to feel differently, just no event has ever damaged my perception of Star Wars.

Darth__Lobot and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.