main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA EVENT: WONDERCON 2010 - April 2 - 4

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Mark your calendars:

http://www.comic-con.org/wc/

RSA EDIT: Stickied

2. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    wow April? that's further into the year than it's previously been...

3. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Actually, when Dale and I started going to WC back in the 90's when it was in Oakland, it was held in April, up until the first year it was moved to SF in 2003.

4. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Interesting...

5. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I guess I will have to make sure I am caught up on all my tax returns by then. Hopefully my mom won't kill me when I tell her I have to take a couple of days off at the begining of april.

6. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Death by taxes... the two things you supposedly can't avoid combined into one... mildly frightening... [face_worried]

7. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Table application sent today.

"It's away!"

8. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Let's hope it doesn't impact on the surface. :p

No rush or anything yet but eventually we should narrow down what we need to present the club while having a "skeleton crew" as this will be a barebones minimum of a table. No need to sign up the volunteers for certain times like previously but keeping an eye on it would be good. That shouldn't be too hard because of the way they set up the bigger autographs last time and if that's the case they usually don't deviate from the format too much. Thus our people should be floating around regardless. Not to mention we're usually placed with the RL so I'm sure those who are "tri-mems" of all the clubs will keep a partial lookout.

Here's a partial list:
    Banner
    FAQ
    flyers
    buttons (optional)
    stickers (optional)
    business cards
    Picture Album from previous events.
    Candy (optional) Then again it's usually us that snack away on those the most. lol...

9. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    "Negative...egative."

;)

10. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Sorry, they have a policy that says no sticker give-aways. We keep forgetting it too, and luckily we never got caught :( If a kid sticks a sticker some place in the con and they track it back to our table it could be some kind of a fine... I don't remember for sure. I'd have to read the entire contract/rules again.

11. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    It seems like we've forgotten that "no sticker" policy more than once.

[face_worried] [face_whistling]

12. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    lol... didn't even know there was a rule about that... :oops:

13. ARASHI

ARASHI Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    Noooooooooooooooooooo!!! Why in April? :( :(
    I'm planning to visit SF in February so I thought I could go to
    the twilight Convention & Wondercom in the same month..
    I'm depress now :( :(

14. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Looks like you're just gonna have to stay till April. :D

15. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Working on the RL/501st dinner on April 4th at Jillian's. SFFF members are welcome to attend as guests of an RL or 501st member.

16. MyBlasterGoesPewPew

MyBlasterGoesPewPew Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2009
    Bad timing since it is the week of the kids school spring vacation and alot of folks go out of town, not sure if I will attend due to that. Did not get a table this year but if I dont go on a vacation than I will probably attend on Saturday. plan to help out with the tables when I am there. Will have to let you know closer it gets to the event.

17. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Blaster - is that you Angelica or Eva logging in under your name? (mention of not having a table this year... sounds like that would be Eva right?)

18. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    I will go on Saturday with my brothers.

19. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    Given recent events, we need to decide what to do about the table we signed up for at wondercon. We need to decide whether to keep it or not. What say you all?

20. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Hopefully Matt will make a post soon in the forums with elections coming up and a need for a 2010 + WonderCon planning meeting. We have a lot of club business to discuss.

We might need to set up a poll and make an announcement in the Yahoo Group to get solid input from our members about desire/expectations for a table this year. In my opinion, it should be a group decision, since it requires the group to be part of table set-ups, tear downs, watching the table - etc.

I'm OK with having a SFFF table so long as the expectation isn't that "RL will watch it for us and we can go off and do what we want with no table duty assignments". I can say that Rebel Legion is more than happy to watch the table for a half hour or hour or so in emergency cases (like, someone couldn't get into the con, someone needs to get food or use a restroom). We are happy to team up with SFFF and return that favor since it's often a SFFF member who watches the table for us during the Saturday photo-shoot. But please do not plan on having Rebel Legion as default fallback for watching the SFFF table if you are all wanting to just come and go as you please without strict table assignments (we are not your table guards).

That's not to say a bare bones, not 100% manned SFFF table can't work. I think it can :) It just probably should not be as elaborate as previous years with actual items on display that need 'watching' since RL really is not there to do that for SFFF.

So if the thinking is to have only a semi-manned table (a table that SFFF members can stop off at when they have spare time) I'd just really ask the club to consider not having anything of value on display that you'd worry about being lost, stolen, or damaged. And please, at least have a crew assigned for a set up in the morning, and close down in the afternoon (either before the last big panel of the day, or at actual con closing) :)

21. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    Kathy I agree that we are not expecting RL to look after our table. This is why I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what we should do since several of the people who normally provide a majority of the table coverage might have decided they want to do other things this year. If we don't have enough people who want to help cover it, then we should think about maybe giving it up, assuming its not too late.

22. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    No worries Rachel - I just remembered the idea came up in our last formal meeting at Tanforan that RL would be there to watch the table if SFFF decided not to have dedicated shifts. I just wanted to clarify that I think it's totally OK to have a SFFF table without dedicated shifts, but RL shouldn't be depended on to watch expensive personal items used to decorate the table. :) I've set up bare bones RL/SFFF tables at smaller cons with only fliers and trading cards + our banner so that people could stop buy and pick up the info to check us out online.

I guess we'll wait and see if others feel they want a table, even a bare bones table - and if we have someone willing to set up the banner, get the fliers printed, all that kind of stuff. We still have time to decide. I'll be looking into the deadline for submitting our additional info for tables soon... we'll have to have a yes or no from the club by the deadline for filling out all of the various forms required for the table.

23. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Since Matt appears to still be on sabbatical from the club...

I logged into the exhibitors section of the Wonder Con site, and they do not yet have up the usual forms we have to fill out before setting up for the con. (We sent in our applications, they were approved. That's it. But there are a bunch of other legal forms that come next). No dates given yet as to when they will be there, so we still have time to figure out if we want to keep the table or not.

24. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    One more bit of info about a WonderCon table,

A fan force member suggested that maybe we shouldn't have a table due to the cost. I want everyone to know that our fan table is free. The only reason we had a payment in the last 2-3 years of roughly $110 was because we opted to have a TV which required electricity.

We could still have a minimal table, no TV, no electricity to pay for. We'd just have to chip in for the price of any xerox for fliers or business cards to hand out if we've run out of those. That's pretty minimal. :) In the end we'll have to ask for a show of hands soon to see if the club as a whole is in favor of a table this year or not.

25. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I vote for the table and I will volunteer for a couple of shifts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.