main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA EVENT: WONDERCON 2010 - April 2 - 4

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I just got the deadline dates for our additional form submissions.

The first set of forms is due to be in hand at WonderCon Feb 17th (which means faxing by Feb 16th.) I think ideally it would be good for the club to come to a decision some time at the beginning of Feb. Worst case scenario I think you can cancel by March 3rd, but to me it makes no sense to have someone fill out all the forms (go to the trouble) only to cancel last minute.

I hope that we will have a meeting before then to discuss this, or at least set up a separate poll here for members to chime in about what they want to do with a table.

2. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    If we have a table , no power drop. Let's save monies

3. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    The very latest we can say no for a table is March 1st. As for no power, we'd need to find a way to show people what we're about, what we do, etc. without the aid of something like a digital frame, or something similar.

4. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    We could always do some collage of pictures and post them. Additional issue of the digitel frame would be leaving it since we are starting to lean toward a table that needs minimal supervision.

5. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yup, that's why I have the foam core board I've brought to some smaller cons to promote RL. SFFF could put something similar together (though I am not volunteering. I think I have enough to prep for RL's table.) And when feeling brave, I've left our costume binder on the table. SFFF could have a regular photo album but has to be prepared if it's stolen or trashed somehow not to worry about it.

6. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    Since it seems like there will be several people who will only be at wondercon on Saturday, I would like to propose having a Fan Force dinner that night. It seems like a good time for everyone to catch up. Not sure where yet. If you have suggestions let me know.

7. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    That's an idea. The only problem is, people who have a priority to watch the masquerade usually have to line up early. I remember last year I literally went and waited in line for take-out from the Metreon food court while Cassandra waited in line for the Masquerade. I then brought our food to the con and we had to eat it after we entered the ballroom since they started letting in the line as soon as I got back.

So, you may or may not have a great turn out for the dinner depending on how people feel about the masquerade.

8. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I really like the idea of a FF dinner, and I think Rachel is right about Sat being the best night. I know it's a conflict with the costume contest, but if a lot of people are going to be at the con only on Sat, it might be unavoidable.

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for places to eat; I'm just not familiar enough with the restaurants in the area.

9. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I usually check out the Masquerade as well, especially if I have friends competing in it. And if there are people from out of town, I may have to catch up with them too. A FF dinner/club night is always possible on Thursday still, after set-up.

10. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    Gale actually is the one who first mentioned having dinner and I personally have no plans to watch the masquarade. I wanted to mention it here in case there was anyone who wanted to join us. I know in a group this large that we will not get everyone but I wanted it to be an option for those who are interested. Where we go might depend on how big a group it is. If it looks like a small group we can just do a consenses.

11. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    I know I am posting this a little late but for anyone who has not bought their wondercon badge, we have the option to purchase two additional exhibitor badges at a cost of $40 a piece. If anyone is interested, either pm me or email me and I can give you the details. We would like to offer this to long standing members first.

12. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    As far as dinner goes, we could do both! Like last year, we could invite anyone who wants to join us for dinner (RL or SFFF) after table set up to go out some place. Maybe California Pizza kitchen again? Then maybe Cat Club if we don't have too much 'home work' to get done before the con starts ;)

We could also have a more formal SFFF convention dinner Saturday night - whoever can make it makes it.

13. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    That's a good idea. Having group get-togethers for dinner both Thurs and Sat night might be the way to go. That way the people who wish to see the costume contest Sat night still have the option of Thurs, while people who will not be there on Thurs have the option of Sat.

14. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, it's been a tradition ever year for us to have dinner together after set-up on Thurs. It's like, as long as some of us have driven all the way out to help set-up we might as well eat together afterward.

15. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    The Marriott is planning on having nighttime gaming and a hospitality suite for badge holders to hang out, have snacks, etc. Details coming soon.

16. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Oh, joy. Well, guess what, folks. Due to a sudden increase in the co-pay on my meds (it doubled & since I get two from the specialty pharmacy, that really cuts into my fun money) I won't be able to attend WonderCon this year!! :_|

Sounds like this year will be really fun, too.

17. krissy1kenobi

krissy1kenobi Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2010
    Ok, does it cost $40 to go to this event?? I want to volunteer to be at the table for an hour or two on Saturday but I did not buy any tickets yet, as I wasn't sure what the time frames were. I also do not have $40 to be there for one day. Is there a more inexpensive option, and is help even needed on Saturday? It looks like that is when most people are free, and we may be over-saturated with bodies at the table.

18. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Krissy,

It will not cost you 40 dollars to get in unless you wait until Friday at the convention to buy a 3 day badge (or, if someone wanted an exhibitor's badge. Some of us need them to get in in the morning to set up the table before the doors open).

They have pre-registration available now on the WonderCon web site:

http://www.comic-con.org/wc/wc_reg.shtml

ADVANCE
    MEMBERSHIP PRICING

(Purchased online before the convention starts and picked up when you check in at the convention)
    DATE Adults JR/SR*
    3-DAY $30 $15*
    --------------------
    1-DAY
    (FRI/SAT)$12 $6*
    --------------------
    1-DAY
    (SUN) $10 $5*
    --------------------

ONSITE
    MEMBERSHIP PRICING

DATE Adults JR/SR*
    3-DAY $40 $20*
    -----------------------
    1-DAY
    (FRI/SAT)$15 $8*
    -----------------------
    1-DAY
    (SUN) $10 $5*
    -----------------------

So, if you are attending all 3 days, you can purchase a badge in advance online for $30.00. If you are just attending Friday or Saturday, the badge price is $12.00 per day. Sundays is discounted to $10.00.

You do not need to have an "Exhibitor's Badge" to help us with the table. :D A regular badge is fine. If you sign up for a morning/opening shift one of the members with an "Exhibitors Badge" would be responsible for meeting up with you to get you an early entry sticker so you can bypass the lines in the morning to get into the exhibit hall. The lines can be pretty crazy on Saturday.

We always need help at the table! Sometimes Saturday is one of our most difficult days to find people because they are too busy with photo shoots for the other costume clubs they belong to (lol!) and there are often panels that draw people away from the table.

19. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    haha, sometimes the hospitality suites are not too extravagant. I don't think this will make or break my decision on where to stay.

20. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    *Edit* I brought up the topic of table shift sign ups. But moved it to the WonderCon table thread: http://boards.theforce.net/san_francisco_ca/b10448/30753641/r30800975/

Again, not a mandatory 100% staffed every hour sign up. But we should think of starting a thread soon just to get an idea of who is willing to stop by the table at given times during the day. It shouldn't be abandoned all day long. And we do need to know who is doing set up and tear down each day and at what time.

21. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    PROGRAMMING SCHEDULE is up:

http://www.comic-con.org/wc/wc10_prog_fri.php

http://www.comic-con.org/wc/wc10_prog_sat.php

http://www.comic-con.org/wc/wc10_prog_sun.php

22. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    We are trying to get an idea about scheduling for the table. So please post what days you are planning to be at the con. I am asking that everyone try do spend an hour at the table every day they are at the con. I am not going to do formal shifts but we need to at least have an idea of what hours there is going to be someone there.
    I know there are several people planning to only be there on Saturday, including Alison, Robert, Gale, Sharon and possibly Eva.
    Make sure you look at the schedule so you will know when you will have free time. Thanks.

Also, Kathy was nice enough print out a whole bunch of pictures for our club photo album so if everyone could give her a few dollars towards the cost of the paper, that would be great. If anyone has pictures they would like to donate, let me know.

23. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I will be there Fri, Sat, Sun. But I have to do a lot of Rebel Legion table coverage. So I might just have to try to watch both tables when I'm at the RL table since I don't want to spend my entire con behind a table.

I would also like to ask if there is anyone who can help watch the Rebel Legion table (it is right next to the Fan Force Table) while we are doing our photo shoot on Saturday
    ? We need coverage from about 11:05 - 12:05. You don't have to know a lot about the Rebel Legion at all, we just want to make sure people are not stealing items from the booth or damaging anything we have out there on display. There are fliers and business cards you can direct people to pick up, and just suggest they come back to our booth in an hour if they want to speak to a Rebel Legion member :)

24. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    CPK sounds like a good place for dinner on Saturday nite. It's affordable and walking distance :)

25. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Rachel, I wonder if this would be easier to keep track of in it's own thread - or the WonderCon Table thread? And one thing I really would like clarity on is who is going to set up the table at the convention opening, and who is going to shut it down. It's not a huge production, but we usually tuck any binders, fliers, display items, etc under the table in the evening just to keep it safe, then pull it out again in the morning at opening. It's not very time consuming, but it will just help to know who is doing it each day, and at what time. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.