main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Eventual Blu-ray Release

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by adamclark83, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    I know its way too early to talk about the Blu-ray release of this movie, but I'd like to say I hope Disney does not produce any of the bonus material. One of the great things about having these movies on DVD/Blu-ray is the reputation of having hours of extras (Documentaries, featurettes, photo gallery, trailers, TV spots etc) and considering how Disney treats the VAM of live-action productions, for Episode VII we'd probably only get 30 minutes of material.

cwustudent and Death Wizard like this.
  2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm pretty sure that once the ST is done we'll get a sizeable "Collector's Box Set" or something with tons and tons of material. And then for the 20 year Anniversary we'll get a few new documentaries and then another Box Set 10 years later and so on... not to worry, we'll get tons of Bonus Content, done by all sorts of people.

3. themuzikman

themuzikman Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2013
    I think I am just as anxious to see the behind the scenes featurettes as much as the movie haha. I'd love to know what they've been doing so far without us knowing. It'll be cool to go back and watch the behind the scenes videos of all the top-secret stuff they've been working on. Even Episode 1 had a pretty good and long behind the scenes featurette and obviously that production was under tight wraps, as well.

What kind of behind the scenes stuff are people most excited to see? For the prequels, there was a feature on nearly every aspect of the production. I like watching the CGI be done since I do a lot of graphic design and game design stuff, so it's always interesting to see their techniques.

Death Wizard likes this.
  4. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I'm still holding onto my pipe dream of getting a George Lucas commentary on some future release of the ST films. I'd love to hear him break it all down through the lens of his vision.

5. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    I love documentaries that delve into the production from scripting to premiere.

6. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    If they could bring Charles de Lauzirika (he usually does the big making of documentaries for Ridley Scott movies) that would be awesome. I would like to see a big documentary talking about the whole disney sale, getting JJ, Michael Arndt, the cast, all that period before EPVII started shooting. And of course plenty of features.

JJ's Star Trek movies had plenty of feauturettes, he also provides commentaries for his films, I believe he will do also for EPVII. For me, if the total runtime of all the extras is less than a hour/ 90 mins, I'll be very disappointed.

Bob Octa and Darth Malgus like this.
  7. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    One of my favorite reads was the making of the empire strikes back from back in the day. It was really interesting knowing about the logisitics such as the claw in the carbon freezing room or the coldness of norway. Im almost more interested in the making of books than the bonus content of the films themselves. I dont own any star wars film...save a digital version of ANH. Once upon a time it took forever to air on cable and now they play it every month- back then it seemed like i had to have it. Growing up with a very limited amount of star wars sure makes you want more...but theres a glut coming....a glut of SW films....i dont feel like i need to have it anymore- Theres another one coming out a year later...back then we had no idea when or what was going to happen.
    Disney tho, they are really weird about how they release in short periods their classic films. It might be available one moment and then the next its gone until some special occaison 5 years later.The last dvd set i bought was the LOTR extended...while it was nice, i hate the fact they repackage it with some new stuff making you buy it all over again....i hate that kind of marketing. I want everything they have on the first release and then after that they release just the film with no bonus content....this forces everyone to want the first edition. Releasing normal versions and then releasing blue rays down the way is just infuriating to me.

so largely because of how they conduct that business - i rather get the making of diary or something.

8. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, I watch "The Beginning" all the time. It's really enjoyable for me to see how the film comes together.

cwustudent likes this.
  9. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    This topic is moot for me 'cause I don't buy blu-rays...but thanks for reading. :)

Seriously though, I'd be amused to see a Lucas commentary on his vision for the ST--considering the fact that his intentions for the PT (particularly with Anakin for AOTC) didn't translate very well in the actual movies themselves...

thejeditraitor likes this.
  10. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I really hope they're documenting the making of this film well. Even if the movie itself turns out to be bad (fingers crossed that it won't), I'll still enjoy seeing a well-made documentary about how it was made, and from what little we do know about the behind-the-scenes drama, it sounds like there's a compelling story to be told. From the first meetings between Lucas and Hamill/Fisher, to the negotiations with Disney, to why Arndt was let go, to casting decisions, etc, etc, I really want to know the details. And I'd love to see comparisons between Lucas' treatments and the finished product.
    If it isn't done in video format, then I hope we at least get some great behind-the-scenes books.

Oh, and agree with a few others in this thread: It would be pretty awesome to get a Lucas commentary track on the BluRay! I know it's not at all likely to happen, but I would be genuinely interested in hearing his honest thoughts on how Episode 7 came out: Which elements stuck to his original vision? Which ones deviated from it? Were those deviations improvements, or does he think they weakened the saga? Does he agree with the designs of ships, creatures, costues, etc?
    Again, I know we absolutely will NOT get that, but it would be interesting if we did.

11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Definitely agreed. I realize it won't happen, but in a perfect world I'd love to be able to hear Lucas lay out how he would've done the ST if he were writing and directing. And that's not a slam against Abrams and company. I love Alien 3 how it is, for instance, but likewise I also loved how for the box set they got Vincent Ward to detail his original "Wooden Planet" concept of the film.

12. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    I think it's a given. They'd be fools not to.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "Should we...?"

"Let's conserve our resources. Nobody cares about any of this..."

14. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Hey, you never know... they might decide it's better to invest in a new Herbie movie instead.

15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I'll be getting the 3D Blu-ray & I would hope a good behind the scenes making of EP VII would be on it......

16. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    I don't think Disney will let Lucas any where near that Blu Ray release, whether to tell his vision or not.

cwustudent and CoolyFett like this.
  17. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    miasma as long as Lindsay Lohan is in it, I'm game. Herbie 2 the shaggin' wagon XXX starring Lindsay Lohan. The demise of Disney.

I kid, I kid.

18. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I just hope that any technical commentary is kept separate from the creative commentary. I remember wanting to hear more from Lucas on the OT commentaries on particular scenes but they'd always cut Ben Burtt or someone else in to talk sound design or visual effects. I like that stuff but I'd prefer that it was on a separate commentary track.

As for general bonus content, deleted scenes are a must, as is a secret blooper reel (it's usually secret on the Star Wars extras discs as part of the credits). A central documentary about the making of the film from preproduction right up to release, just like "The Beginning" would be great. Will there be any webisodes? Probably not since, unlike the prequels, this is completely new and unknown territory so there should be a series of featurettes covering what webisodes generally cover; costumes and props, BTS on the shoot, sword training, the music etc.

Speaking of music, I'd also like an isolated music track for the movie. I'd also like to see some kind of featurette or documentary on the mythology. One of my favourite featurettes on the Saga Blu Ray set is Lucas sitting down with the Clone Wars crew to explain the nature of the Dark Side. More of that would be awesome. Concept art and closer looks at the props, costumes etc. Then there's the obligatory promotional material; posters, trailers etc.

Finally, just for kicks, an Aurubesh subtitle track. :p

Valairy Scot and Death Wizard like this.
  19. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

Marvel produces the bonus features on their Blu-Rays (such as the One Shot shorts) so I don't see why Lucasfilm wouldn't do the special features on the Star Wars Blu-Rays.

20. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    George Lucas: [sighs] "None of this is what I would have done"
    Fan stops the Blu-ray, immediately destroys it

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    10 documentaries on Lucas buying flannel shirts.

Granek, JediRocks74, TK327 and 2 others like this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Great, so all I need to do is live forever.

23. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    They better be creating some documentaries and bonus content.

The majority of Blu-ay and DVD extras are a waste. The worthwhile ones are a rare treasure.

Episodes I to 3 DVDs are among the rarities. I haven;t bought the BluRay box set yet.

What is it really like? (I'd rather fan opinion than "reviews")

Sounds like something from a 007 song ;)

cwustudent and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  24. Curjax Rebo

Curjax Rebo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 28, 2014
    Just think... By then movies will be released in native 4k resolution. Gonna have to buy a new tv.

Lando Swarm and danmcken like this.
  25. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    Will try to hold out for the 4k boxset

Who am i kidding ill be getting the bluray day of release extras or no extras

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.