main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Everest

Discussion in 'Community' started by Leoluca Randisi, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I read this book, The book was really good. Hopefully the Movie Lives up to the Book. It was written by the same guy that Wrote Into The Wild, Jon Krakauer....

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    It kind of looks like a (much) better version of Vertical Limit.

3. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    It looks Spectacular, And It Is based on a true story, Like I said I read the Book and The Book was a Great Read!

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've read the book as well. Might consider seeing this if the reviews are decent when it comes out..

5. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The book is decent. The made for tv movie not so much.

The trailer already suggests lots of dramatic embellishments. Most of this story is about people already moving very slowly moving even more slowly because some of the people they're with are unqualified to be doing what they're doing. They keep moving very slowly until they can't any more due to the exhaustion that comes with altitude sickness. Then they stop to rest and freeze to death. Or they lose their feet and/or hands and/or noses to frostbite.

Watch The Summit on Netflix. That will help get you in the mood for Everest.

6. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I believe they actually filmed most of it In the Swiss Alps but some at Everest Base Camp.

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Here's the only Everest movie you need.

8. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Krakauer's "Everest" was an excellent book. It was also an IMAX film in the 90's which was great too....at least I think the book and film chronicled the same expedition. It's been a while.

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The IMAX film expedition was on the mountain at the same time as the people who died.

10. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I saw the I-Max film you speak of I don't remember if the I-Max film chronicled the same Expedition, you may be Correct?

11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    That's a pretty low bar if memory serves.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Bet it won't have Tem Morrison in it though. I liked him in Vertical Limit.

Managed to find my 1998 paperback edition of Into Thin Air (and if you knew how many books I have that's an achievement. I don't know how many books I have). Going for a re-read next week.
    For those who don't have the book, I did notice that Amazon UK had an updated version listed that came out in 2011.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Does everyone die in this?

14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
  15. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    My whole house is filled with books which is making the move to Florida harder because I have to decide which books to keep and which ones to chuck, my closing is the 18 of June:cool:

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That's easy. Keep all of them. :p

17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    well I kept most of them but some had to go, most are boxed up but I still have a few in the Living Room Bookshelf and boxes and boxes of Photo Albums, only two weeks to go:( I make the sad face because so much to do so little time, And it Is my birthday today, I am 34 years old !!!!!!!!!!!

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I had to do a book (and other stuff) clearout when I moved from the US to the UK. It was hard. Needless to say I now have a lot more than when I moved here.

And Happy Birthday!

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    happy Birthday To you Leolucy Grandioso!!!!!!!!!!!!