main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Every Sword Needs a Shield--Viggie--Jag, Zekk and Jaina (from Jag's POV) **Sacrifice Spoilers**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Flowerlady, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    [image=http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/Flowerlady_23/everysword.jpg]

Title: Every Sword Needs a Shield
    Author: Flowerlady
    Timeframe: LotF
    Characters: Jag, Zekk, Jaina (from Jag?s POV)
    Warning: ***Sacrifice spoilers***
    Genre: General, Vignette
    Disclaimer: Not mine? SW belongs to GL.
    Summary: Jag and Zekk considers what they really are to Jaina.

~~ Every Sword Needs a Shield ~~

I watched her from my position near the non-Jedi and willed my strength to her. She stood with her family?her uncle, cousin and parents?who arrived not caring about the warrant for their arrest. The only one missing was Jacen. We all wondered where he was, but he was busy?maneuvering himself into power of the GA.

I could tell that she was trying not to break; she was being strong for Ben and Master Skywalker. I have to admit, in all the years I had known the Jedi Grand Master, I never saw him look so haggard, even during the worst days of the Vong War.

I only half-heartedly listened to the eulogies being said for Mara Jade Skywalker. I felt somewhat guilty for my inattention, but I knew Master Skywalker wouldn?t have wanted this kind of fuss to begin with, and I was all but a stranger to her.

My attention was fully on the beautiful woman standing with her arm around her younger but taller cousin. I felt someone staring at me and I glanced around to find Zekk watching me. As soon as my eyes met his he looked away; no doubt his mind was on the same thing mine was?Jaina?s earlier revelation.

We, Zekk and I, arrived at Ossus for the funeral together and found Jaina. To my great displeasure, Zekk found her first and I was forced to tag behind. Jaina was surprised to see us together and being almost friendly toward each other outside of our relentless search for Alema Rar; we even arrived in the same shuttle. Despite our competition over Jaina, in the many months that we have been working together, he and I had formed some sort of?something. I wouldn?t go so far as saying we were friends, but we weren?t enemies either. I trusted Zekk and I know he trusted me as far as facing combat went. We were on the same side of the war this time and as such we formed a soldier?s trust between us. I, however, didn?t trust him one iota with Jaina, but then I knew he felt the same for me.

Well, I suppose after yesterday?s discussion it doesn?t matter; Jaina isn?t interested in either one of us. That hurt more than I thought that it ever would. When she and Zekk were first assigned to help with me I was livid. I hadn?t a clue as to how I was going to stand working with them. I blamed Jaina for a lot of what happened to me and to my family. And I don?t even want to get into my issues with her ex-Joiner boyfriend. My whole pursuit of Alema Rar was done in hopes of someday gaining favor again with the Chiss and to regain my family?s honor. However, as days turned into weeks and we began to find a rhythm, I noticed just how jealous Zekk was of me, which got me to wondering if Jaina still felt anything for me. I kept telling myself that I didn?t care one way or another because we were through the moment she shot at me over Tenupe, despite what she had told me before she fired. But soon I did care and I wanted to spend more time with her. What started out as my pretending to nudge in on her and Zekk soon became me really wanting to push Zekk out of the picture. I did it once before, so I figured if Jaina really had any feelings for me, it wouldn?t be too hard to do so again. Of course, unlike the last time, he was doing the same, and like two adolescent, hormone-happy schoolboys, we competed for her attention.

It all came to an end yesterday when she commed both of us asking us to meet her at her quarters. She sounded sad, broken; I wanted nothing more than to run to her and scoop her up into my arms, and take her pain away. However, when I got there at the appointed time, Zekk met me before her door.

?What are you doing here?? he asked as

2. GeithJiseo2

GeithJiseo2 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 21, 2004
    Ooooo, NICE!!! You have a very engaging writing style! =D=

3. saber_death

saber_death Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    this exactly how i'd imagine thing will go if Jag does end up with Jaina. Jaina tries to shut both of them out, but Jag and Zekk both realize that she will still need both of them as friends and one of them as more. and Zekk's 'Han isn't the one you need to fear' line was great. now that Anakin's gone and Jacen's a Sith, Zekk will take the role of protective big brother who knows how to use a lightsaber. nice story, and very well written.

4. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Great job. Just really great. I can really see this happening. It seems very, very canon to me. I'm impressed. =D= Amd the Zeltron gigolo line was great [face_laugh].

5. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    I think this was beautiful and very much an unwritten moment that fits right into the LOTF series. =D=

Perfect thought:

I trusted Zekk and I know he trusted me as far as facing combat went. We were on the same side of the war this time and as such we had formed a soldier?s trust between us. I, however, didn?t trust him one iota with Jaina, but then I knew he felt the same for me.

You've got Jag down well. I can never get a handle on his "Chiss-ness". ;)

I kept telling myself that I didn?t care one way or another because we were through the moment she fired at me over Tenupe, despite what she had told me before she fired.

How does someone get over that? He has every right to not let it go. That's Skywalker level forgiving to forgive what Leia and Jaina did.

reminded me way too much of the time she had that silly ?picnic? with Kyp Durron and me on Borleias. And somehow I knew from that experience that things weren?t going to be good.

Yes, but the younger guy gets the girl...isn't Jag younger than Zekk? [face_thinking]

I didn?t need to be a Jedi to understand him completely, and I felt a blush and then anger. I stood and moved away, not wanting to look at this man who probably seen, through Jaina?s memories, every personal and incredibly intimate moment that she remembered of our time together.

Exactly, that has to really creep Jag out!!! I loved this!!! I loved hearing Jag's thoughts. Here he is the outsider in many ways, but he is always so brave. You're making me like him and making me think J/J ! Weird, but good I suppose. :)

6. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    Ah see I know the boys could be adult about the situation. Great viggie I liked the male rivalry and the heart in this fic

7. Lyne

Lyne Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2006
    Great viggie.

8. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    GeithJiseo2
    Ooooo, NICE!!! You have a very engaging writing style! =D=
    Thank you!!!

saber_death
    this exactly how i'd imagine thing will go if Jag does end up with Jaina. Jaina tries to shut both of them out, but Jag and Zekk both realize that she will still need both of them as friends and one of them as more. and Zekk's 'Han isn't the one you need to fear' line was great. now that Anakin's gone and Jacen's a Sith, Zekk will take the role of protective big brother who knows how to use a lightsaber. nice story, and very well written.
    I've been toying with this idea since Sacrifice. I'm still not convinced Zekk won't be killed in LotF, but a discussion over in the Kyp Durron Fan Club got me to thinking...What if Zekk doesn't fall on Darth Wannabe's lightsaber? Zekk could play the part of the future Empress's brother very well. Amazing how that idea come from someone suggesting Antares Draco could be descended from Zekk...8-}
    Thanks for reading...

SakuraTsukikage
    Great job. Just really great. I can really see this happening. It seems very, very canon to me. I'm impressed. =D= Amd the Zeltron gigolo line was great [face_laugh].
    Thank you!!! [face_blush] So can I, I'm not sure it fits with a spoiler for the next book that I've read, but I could see this happening during LotF sometime. Besides if you read my response from above, I like the idea that Antares being descended from Zekk.
    Well, they are acting like gigoloes....;)

iamobiwan1970
    I think this was beautiful and very much an unwritten moment that fits right into the LOTF series. =D=
    Thank you!!! [face_blush]
    Perfect thought:

I trusted Zekk and I know he trusted me as far as facing combat went. We were on the same side of the war this time and as such we had formed a soldier?s trust between us. I, however, didn?t trust him one iota with Jaina, but then I knew he felt the same for me.

You've got Jag down well. I can never get a handle on his "Chiss-ness". ;)
    Actually, I model a lot of Jag's stiffness from my own hubby...And I like the Chiss so I can understand where he came from. But thank you for the complement on my characterization...Since I've started writing fan fic, he has become one of my favorite characters to explore...
    I kept telling myself that I didn?t care one way or another because we were through the moment she fired at me over Tenupe, despite what she had told me before she fired.

How does someone get over that? He has every right to not let it go. That's Skywalker level forgiving to forgive what Leia and Jaina did.

I agree. But recently I read another explaination to Jag's "forgiveness" of Jaina and particularly Leia--He understands that they were only doing what they precieved as being their duty. And the fact that he was prepared to do the same thing for the same reason. I like this reasoning too and it actually is more in fitting with Jag's character than holding a grudge against them.
    reminded me way too much of the time she had that silly ?picnic? with Kyp Durron and me on Borleias. And somehow I knew from that experience that things weren?t going to be good.

Yes, but the younger guy gets the girl...isn't Jag younger than Zekk? [face_thinking]
    Again!!! Yeah, Jag is younger...Zekk being born in 7 and Jag in 8. ;)
    I didn?t need to be a Jedi to understand him completely, and I felt a blush and then anger. I stood and moved away, not wanting to look at this man who probably seen, through Jaina?s memories, every personal and incredibly intimate moment that she remembered of our time together.

Exactly, that has to really creep Jag out!!! I loved this!!! I loved hearing Jag's

9. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    shameless bump.....

10. Meshugenah

Meshugenah Jedi Master star 1

Apr 17, 2007
    Oh.. Jag and Zekk!

We were on the same side of the war this time and as such we had formed a soldier?s trust between us. I, however, didn?t trust him one iota with Jaina, but then I knew he felt the same for me.
    *falls over laughing* That's Jag, to a "t."

?Just don?t ever hurt her. Because, Han isn?t the one you need to fear,? his eyes narrowed threateningly and I simply nodded.

I then held out my hand which he took and I said, ?For Jaina, then.?

He smiled and firmly shook my hand and said, ?For Jaina. Every sword needs a good shield. Together we will be that shield.?

This is so bittersweet and mature (gasp! They're not being crazy hormonal teenage boys [face_dancing]) of them both -- and I could see this as a plausible outcome, too.

Awesome viggie!

11. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    Lovely job, Flowerlady! :D This fits in extremely well with what's going on in canon at the moment, and you've captured the J/J/Z dynamic very well. Everyone's very in-character here, and their motivations are believable. Jag's POV is always interesting, and I could defintely see Zekk stepping aside if he thought it would make Jaina happy. I like the three of them as a team, no matter who Jaina ends up with, and if canon does decide to go J/J, I hope this is how it happens. :)

12. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    Meshugenah
    Oh.. Jag and Zekk!
    :D
    We were on the same side of the war this time and as such we had formed a soldier?s trust between us. I, however, didn?t trust him one iota with Jaina, but then I knew he felt the same for me.
    *falls over laughing* That's Jag, to a "t."
    Thanks..I love Jag's character...
    ?Just don?t ever hurt her. Because, Han isn?t the one you need to fear,? his eyes narrowed threateningly and I simply nodded.

He smiled and firmly shook my hand and said, ?For Jaina. Every sword needs a good shield. Together we will be that shield.?

This is so bittersweet and mature (gasp! They're not being crazy hormonal teenage boys [face_dancing]) of them both -- and I could see this as a plausible outcome, too.
    It was bittersweet and very mature. I would actually like to see this as an outcome too. Because the other one that I've considered is sad for all the Zekk fans out there....[face_worried]
    Awesome viggie!
    Thanks for reading!!! [:D]

Emerald_Lady
    Lovely job, Flowerlady! :D This fits in extremely well with what's going on in canon at the moment, and you've captured the J/J/Z dynamic very well. Everyone's very in-character here, and their motivations are believable. Jag's POV is always interesting, and I could defintely see Zekk stepping aside if he thought it would make Jaina happy. I like the three of them as a team, no matter who Jaina ends up with, and if canon does decide to go J/J, I hope this is how it happens. :)
    Thank you!!! [face_blush] I really like the J/J/Z dynamic. I think they could make a very good trio. If Zekk would step back and take on the big brother role in Jaina's life and given better characteration to bring out more of his sense of humor; if Jag remains the "outsider" because of he's not a Jedi but still can keep up with them (like Han but not like Han in character per se), and of course the two of them are always having to save Jaina from doing something crazy, until the day Jag finds himself as being the Emperor. But we all know it won't happen, this is profic we're talking about...[face_frustrated]
    Thanks so much for reading...[:D]

FL @};-

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Despite our competition over Jaina, in the many months that we have been working together, he and I had formed some sort of?something.

I really like this line. Made me pause and chuckle at it's truth.

This means, I have absolutely no time for romance, nor do I really want one. So, I?m only telling you two once, stop the Zeltron gigolo behavior now, because, quite frankly, it is very unbecoming!?

At last. And good for her that she admits liking the attention.

That is truly beautiful. [face_love]

14. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Of course, unlike the last time, he was doing the same and like two adolescent, hormone happy school boys, we competed for her attention.

[face_laugh] Yes, that sounds EXACTLY like them

I?m sorry that I told Jaina you weren?t a good enough pilot but there was no way I could have taken both you and Durron in our squadron, dealing with Durron?s infatuation was frustrating enough.

Yeah, I'll bet it was. even though he's not Force sensitive, he'd probably have been driven insane

?You know, you and me aren?t really that different.?

I raised my scarred brow and said, ?We aren?t that similar either.?

Zekk shrugged and deadpanned, ?Black hair, green eyes, pilots, stubborn, a bit on the mysterious side??

Zekk for the win. Hooray for black haired, green eyed pilots ;)

That was amazing! I could definitely see this happening

15. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    Healer_Leona
    Despite our competition over Jaina, in the many months that we have been working together, he and I had formed some sort of?something.

I really like this line. Made me pause and chuckle at it's truth.
    I've worked in heathcare for 10 years and I know nurses and/or doctors who can't stand each other but when a patient's life is on the line, they can put their differences aside and save a life. For soldiers it is the same. And besides, I'm convinced, take Jaina out of the equation, Jag and Zekk could be friends.
    This means, I have absolutely no time for romance, nor do I really want one. So, I?m only telling you two once, stop the Zeltron gigolo behavior now, because, quite frankly, it is very unbecoming!?

At last. And good for her that she admits liking the attention.
    I thinks she does, especially from Jag and because Zekk is the reason Jag shows her attention she plays on Zekk's behavior...It's all a visious circle.

That is truly beautiful. [face_love]
    Thank you!!![face_blush]
    [:D]

SWpants666
    Of course, unlike the last time, he was doing the same and like two adolescent, hormone happy school boys, we competed for her attention.

[face_laugh] Yes, that sounds EXACTLY like them
    I thought so too...:rolleyes:

I?m sorry that I told Jaina you weren?t a good enough pilot but there was no way I could have taken both you and Durron in our squadron, dealing with Durron?s infatuation was frustrating enough.

Yeah, I'll bet it was. even though he's not Force sensitive, he'd probably have been driven insane
    I'm sure that he would have been. Jag would have felt extremely out of place in the squad with Jaina, Zekk and Kyp always in a mind meld and knowing that they both had feelings for her.

?You know, you and me aren?t really that different.?

I raised my scarred brow and said, ?We aren?t that similar either.?

Zekk shrugged and deadpanned, ?Black hair, green eyes, pilots, stubborn, a bit on the mysterious side??

Zekk for the win. Hooray for black haired, green eyed pilots ;)
    Zekk has to win sometime..:p but besides his obvious statement, it's truer on a deeper level too. I'm not saying there is a lot in common with them but there is some.

That was amazing! I could definitely see this happening
    Thanks [face_blush] ....The more I think about it, so can I...[:D]

FL @};-

16. ZekksGoddess

ZekksGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Wow. You've actually made me cry a little.

Poor Zekk...Your characterization was spot on- how he loves her so much that he's willing to step back and give up on something he's wanted for years for Jaina's sake. Nice work.

=D= :_|

17. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    Sorry that I made you cry....:(

Thank you.[face_blush] I really like Zekk's character although I don't ship him with Jaina, I do like them as friends and as partners. He is the type of guy who would do this sort of thing.

Thanks for reading....[:D]

FL @};-

18. TelannaTani

TelannaTani Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Just a quick note to say I found your Viggie, read it and loved it! If only pro-fic could be so easy. :D

19. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    Hey! I somehow missed your comment...Thank you for reading.

[:D]

FL @};-

20. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I.... didn't comment on this? :eek: And here I thought I had!

I read this when you first posted it and while I'm not keeping up with canon, I love the maturity shown by the boys and the dynamic you've captured between them. That they're willing to settle their differences and work as a team for someone they each care about in their own fashion - and deeply - is a huge character building moment.

you said in one of your replies that Zekk is the kind of guy to step back when it comes to someone he cares about. You're right - he does it all the time; they come first. It's one of the reasons I love his character so much.

Bravo on a well rounded Vif, FL, one that treats both boys with some tact, respect and dignity - and shows them for the true men they are :)

21. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    Jade_Max
    I.... didn't comment on this? :eek: And here I thought I had!
    That's okay...you're here now...:)
    I read this when you first posted it and while I'm not keeping up with canon, I love the maturity shown by the boys and the dynamic you've captured between them. That they're willing to settle their differences and work as a team for someone they each care about in their own fashion - and deeply - is a huge character building moment.
    Thank you!![face_blush]
    I enjoy Jag and Zekk's relationship and I like to exploy the possiblities between them.

you said in one of your replies that Zekk is the kind of guy to step back when it comes to someone he cares about. You're right - he does it all the time; they come first. It's one of the reasons I love his character so much.
    Yes, he does. And it wasn't until I started reading LotF that I really got this part of his character. And I've come to enjoy his character a great deal.
    Bravo on a well rounded Vif, FL, one that treats both boys with some tact, respect and dignity - and shows them for the true men they are :)
    Thank you again. Although I enjoy their competition in LotF, I also want to see them act like adults. That was one of the things that I liked about Fury...the boys finally got this in profic.
    Thanks for reading....[:D]

FL @};-

22. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    how sweet of these two!

23. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    Hey...thanks for reading!!!! [:D]

FL @};-

24. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    This viggie made me realize that although Jaina is in LOTF she isnt, not the way she was in the Rebel series and other NJO books . This type of view is needed to round out the series so that it feels more balanced.

Great spot to start Jags POV from- Mara's funeral.

I also agree with Jade Max, your characterization on Zekk was right on all the way, except I think I would have had them stand for their little talk. I rarely see guys on the same level do a sit down its like they feel trapped or something.
    =D= Overall just a great, great piece of writing!

25. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    obsessedwithSW
    This viggie made me realize that although Jaina is in LOTF she isnt, not the way she was in the Rebel series and other NJO books . This type of view is needed to round out the series so that it feels more balanced.
    I agree with you...I think they are trying to write Jaina that way but are not really getting there. Allston in Fury was the closest.
    Great spot to start Jags POV from- Mara's funeral.
    Thanks....
    I also agree with Jade Max, your characterization on Zekk was right on all the way, except I think I would have had them stand for their little talk. I rarely see guys on the same level do a sit down its like they feel trapped or something.
    =D= Overall just a great, great piece of writing!
    Thanks, though I'm not a J/Z shipper...I've leared to appreciate and like Zekk. I enjoy his character.
    I suppose you are right about them sitting.:oops:
    Thank you!!![:D]

FL @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.