main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Everybody who's read "Dark Journey" disscus it here! (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Soontir-Fel, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Did any one get the final battle scene it kinda didn't make much sense to me

2. Elite_Guard

Elite_Guard Jedi Master star 2

Oct 7, 2001
    what's not to understand?? a battle in teh hapes cluster.

3. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    I didn't even know it was out! Is it available in the UK?

4. Elite_Guard

Oct 7, 2001
    its not really officially available in the USA just a rare find at some bookstores

official is tuesday next week

5. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    I haven't read the book, but there's just a few questions i need answered after reading the spoiler synopsis:

Where does the NR go?
    Does Jaina end up with Jag?
    Is there any lightsaber battles?
    What does Isolder think about Teneniel's death?

If anyone could answer those it would be much appreciated.

6. Mayo_Solo

Mayo_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Could someone please list the Yuuzhan Vong who appear in DJ? Thanks.

7. Mayo_Solo

Aug 9, 2001
  8. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    hmmm...Well Lah does of corse, and I think either his son or brother.

9. NatalieJ_214

NatalieJ_214 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2001
    Tsavong Lah, Khalee Lah (Tsavong Lah's son) and Harrar are the Yuuzhan Vong that show up most in the book. :)

10. Mayo_Solo

Aug 9, 2001
    Cool. Thnks. I take it that Nom Anor will not be there to make mistakes. I find him quite funny. Don't really know why though.

11. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Hes an @ss hole, a bad guy who sucks at being one.

12. Danamel99

Danamel99 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    SPOILERS BELOW..........................

Enough Warning already...here we go

Where does the NR go?
    Well Teneniel Djo opens Hapes for refugees and allot of the people from Coruscant go there...

Does Jaina end up with Jag?
    No...she just realizes that she's in love with him. As a matter of fact...Kyp kinda helps Jaina and Jag along a bit in DJ...
    (Jaina/Kyp lovers... don't kill the messanger)

Is there any lightsaber battles?
    Yes....Jaina and Kyp...nuf said

What does Isolder think about Teneniel's death?
    He's certainly not thrilled about it...but we don't see allot of Isolder's grief in this book...it's not that it isn't there...it's just overlooked

13. Elite_Guard

Oct 7, 2001
    the best vong are lord shimmra and nen yim but they have been absent in the last two books...

14. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Ok, good, I'm not the only one who saw Kyp setting up Jaina and Jag.

15. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    So Harrar's back, huh?

16. corran_rouge9

corran_rouge9 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2001
    I did find the final space battle a little jumbled and confusing. My major complaint with this book was that it built up Jaina going dark, but then brought her back in the last 10 pages.

I didn't like the uneven portrayal of Kyp. It seems that he's different with each author, and here he seemed different throughout. He came back into the fold in SbS, but then it was as if that had never happened in DJ. There was all sorts of stuff about him not caring if he went to the Dark side as long as he was helping people and fighting Vong. But then, towards the end, he goes back to SbS Kyp, seeing boundaries, and planning to try bringing Jedi together.

Other than that, it was a pretty excellent book. Obviously, Jacen isn't dead. I could be being too optimistic, but Del Rey seems to be leaving a back door to be able to bring back Anakin. Yes, his body is gone, but that doesn't stop science fiction. They were really emphasizing the whole, 'someone has to figure out the deeper nature of the Force.' Jaina decided that wasn't her path, and people repeatedly said it should be Anakin's.

I really liked the few moments between Han and Leia. Han's skull fracture was amusing. I'm completely disgusted with Hapes again, just can't stand those screwed up, power hungry people, especially Ta'chume.(sp?) Jag was a pretty good character, from someone who wasn't fond of the Jag mania spurred by his five pages. He had weaknesses, but was likable. I wouldn't mind seeing him and Jaina together. Kyp and Jaina as apprentice and master seems right by the end of the book.

Well, I rambled enough, so off to lunch.

17. Thejedikiller

Thejedikiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 1999
    I muct say that I was somewhat disappointed in this book. I found myself not really caring for Jaina threw most of this book. I thought she was interesting until they landed on Hapes and then I just found myself hoping someone would slap her. I thought she came off as a brat. She just lost a brother with another missing, presumbed dead, and she wants to place the part of a queen at a ball? She almost didn't go to Anakin's funeral. I also found the way she would just up and decide to follow Kyp as his apprentice to be unbelievable. She is suppose to be a smart girl.

I thought Kyp was jumping all around the map in the book. One minute he is all about getting Jedi together, Jedi for Jedi, the next he is ready to go off the deepend with Jaina and take the fight to the YV themselves. Then he decides his first idea is better.

I think Jagged Fel has a huge potential to become a great character. I thought he was handled great. You could relly see how growing up in a Chiss society shaped him. He is very by the books guy. When talking to his father it sounded more as if he were talking to a commanding officer, even though Baron Fel is he still is Jag's father.

I thought Khalee Lah was portrayed more as a baffoon than a son of the Warmaster. He seemed to easily tricked and unwilling to accept anything from the normal.

If you like space battles then your in for a fun ride, however I would much rather have seen more ground fighting with lightsabers. Again this is just a personal liking.

I did like somethings in the book as well. Firstly, I thought Harrar was written very good. You could really see him beginning to see things aren't as clear cut with the infedials as the YV in general have thought. I also like to way it is shown that Harrar and the warmaster really are friends.

I also loved the scenes with Lowie. I loved how we saw another Wookiee with just as much persoanlity as Chewie interact with our heros. He lightened the mood in several areas of the book with his humor.

I also liked the way Teneal Ka was portrayed. We get to see how deeply she loves Jacen in the scene in the escape pod. I also liked the way she was shown to be level head and a would be leader when the time was right.

All in all Dark Journey was an OK book. I tend to think any book would have a hard time following Star by Star. I just think not having certain characters around for the book following SBS was a mistake.

18. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    Thanks a bunch. :)

I'm getting really jealous of all you people who have Dark Journey. I probably won't have it for another week or so. X-

19. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    What is the background for the space battle (who and what v. who and what). Is it like SbS style fleet battle or more of an X-wing melee?

Also, the book came out early at the place I usually get my books, but sold out, so now the new shipments are coming out a few days after the release date. I know there are other stores, but I'm unfamiliar of when and where they put the new SW books.

20. Fez-i

Fez-i Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2002
    There is a (somewhat) large spacebattle at the end which is overshadowed by Jaina's own battle. Most of the space action is in the form of smaller fighter battles involving Kyp, Jag, and occasionally Jaina.

All in all I enjoyed this book. I thought it was refreshing to finally get a sense of a character's fall to the dark side.. even though parts of the action seemed kinda jumpy toward the end.

As far as Kyp is concerned, I was thrown at first at his behavior, until I thought back on SBS and realized that it never really says anything about Kyp being brought back into the fold. He simply went along with Luke and the other jedi because they were finally bringing the fight to the vong. Everytime (as far as I can remember) he's mentioned in SBS it seems as though he's still ready to take matters into his own hand as soon as Luke gives him a little leeway. In any case I really like Kyp's portrayal in DJ and felt that the title almost applies to him as much as it does to Jaina.

On a related note I don't think Jaina's journey from the darkside is anywhere near complete. By the end of the book she only comes to the realization of how far she has truly fallen. That's only a small but very important step toward her recovery. I imagine in the next few books that she shows up in, her struggle against the corruption the dark side almost certainly left within her will play a very important part.

Btw did anyone else feel that Jag was a little underdeveloped in this book for being such an important character? It just seemed to me that everytime he appeared he was doing things "for no reason at all". I understand that his growing feelings for Jaina were probably involved in his behavior, but the brief exchanges he had with her always seemed sorta one sided and cut short. I guess I just wish that more basis for a relationship had been laid out.

21. Beny_Onbe

Beny_Onbe Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2001
    Man, this is great. You guys don't know how lucky you are. I can't wait for DJ to find it's way onto my bkshelf. One question: could someone describe to me Baron Fel's scenes in DJ? Thanks.

22. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    Soontir-Fel's scene:
    he is on a Chiss military base and is hearing a report and discussing how to handle the Vong threat with Jag. They agree that Jag should go on a scouting mission. Jag decides to only take his second in command, a Chiss woman with a personality problem (okay, sorry for not be objective there...) Fel feels really guilty as he watches Jag leave because he knows that Jag might die and he's already lost two kids in combat.

hope that helps.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks for the reviews, quite encouraging.

Say Jedikiller, long time no see!

Jedi Ben

24. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    overall, I liked Dark Journey. Though I extremely disliked Jaina's attitude for most of it, I don't dislike books because I dislike the main character. I liked the way that Kyp brought Jaina back from the dark side, and how Jaina didn't immediately fall head over heels in love with Jag Fel. That would have been pathetic. What I didn't like was the way Teneniel Djo acted and the way she died, I would have thought she was stronger than that. I really liked her in CoPL and it seemed like a really stupid way for her to go. I liked the way Tenel Ka is potrayed throughout the book and even better the way she accepts the responsibility of Queen Mother.
    It annoyed me the way Jaina still hasn't really dealt with Anakin's death, but I guess that's still to come.

25. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I thought that DJ was quite interesting. There were some elements that were kinda weird and strange, but overall it was good...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.