main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Everybody who's read "Dark Journey" disscus it here! (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Soontir-Fel, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I can see how Traitor might, but the Enemy Lines series is definately after it.

2. GoldenVeila

GoldenVeila Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    Certainly seems that way. But if that's true, it would be an odd way to do it. Publish two books in a series, and then go back to the events of quite a while before it? Doesn't make sense. Does anyone know what's up with that?

3. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    As far as Teneniel's breakdown: the book seemed indicate that the cause of her death was poison. Remember "Dune: House Atreides"? We all know Ta'a Chume had it in for Teneniel from day one -- what if, in addition to all the other stresses on her, Ta'a Chume had been GRADUALLY poisoning her all along? In which case her miscarriage takes on a sinister new overtone and her increasing catatonia and loss of contact with the Force makes more sense.

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Sure they can. You could start RD with a military look, then a part on the Falcon. Then the Vong, then Luke and Mara. Han and Leia then appear halfway through. THe second book goes a bit further. Fits IMO

5. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    We'll have to wiat and see, I guess.

wk

6. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Read, review soon. Guess what my major gripe was ;) :)

7. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    The portrayal of Kyp, or Jag being in it>

8. Rysil

Rysil Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2002
    This book was a major letdown. At the end of SBS, I was left wondering about Jaina, and frothing at the mouth at a dark side Jedi really stirring things up. Then, Dark Journey comes, and the author cowardly stays away from real issues, doesn't even come close in convincing us that Jaina is ever in any real danger of turning. The only good thing in this book is that we can put to rest the Anakin debate. They burned his body for pete's sake.

To me, this book seemed like a Mary Kate and Ashley book on teen rebellion. Blues Clues, anyone?

9. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    I agree that DJ was a let down. I liked the idea of the book, but I don't think that it was NEAR as "dark" as they were portraying it to be. I was wanting a book that really got into the mind of Jaina- even if it was "bad Jaina." This book didn't really disect her as much as I wanted.

The other thing that bothered me was that at the end, she took a complete 180 in like less than 10 pages! The end was rushed and I think that I would have enjoyed it more if the end had been taken slower and you could have seen how she progressed into her decision to go back to the light.

I was also upset about the whole Jacen thing. I mean, I know he isn't dead (I believe Leia wholly), but it bothers me that even though I think that Jaina knows he isn't dead, she isn't going out there to kick more Vong butt! I wanted her to go whip some Vongs with the dark side!

On a good note, I did like the stuff with Jag. It gave her a more real personality.
    There were several parts where I was literally crying because I was laughing so hard! She was so mean, and yet, I could actually see myself saying some of the things she said...

I also liked Anakin's funeral. I'm sorry, but I think that he is really dead guys. I don't believe that they are going to bring him back except in memories. That part was very touching and I cried the entire time! I think I really lost it when Han got up there- very well done.

Anyways, there are my rants and raves!

10. Noghri_ViR

Noghri_ViR Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2002
    I don't think Jacen is dead. I think he's being shaped by the YV and that's what everyone felt....wouldn't they feel his huge amount of pain if the YV were to cut off a arm and replace it with something else?

11. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    FETT's TIP-TOP DARK JOURNEY REVIEW

This for me has been the one I've been waiting for. Star by Star sounded good, and I love Allston, but this was something else. A chance for a novel starring Jaina and Kyp, sweetened with the spin-off feel. Don't get me wrong, mainstream novels are still good, but when a story takes place aside from the major story, there is an added fun for me. No continuing of many plots, you can pick on a small area.

The first thing you see is the cover. I it. I generally haven't been a NJO cover fan, due to the roughness of the pics. The only exception was Balance Point, which was nice. This one though, I love. Jaina really does look like she's been through an ordeal, as she should. The X-Wing blueprint nicely fills up the majority of the remaining cover. I only really had two gripes. Firstly, the artist's name is on the cover. Why, when his name is in a little boxout on the back? My other gripe was the colour. As a whole I liked it, but the top is very pink. Not a colour I like to carry round :)

So, onto the story. I liked it very much. There was nothing bad that stood out for me. The backstabbing ways of the Hapians were clear and well written, as they were in Courtship and Jedi Eclipse. The logic of going there was sound to me also. There were some beautifully written pieces in this, such as Anakin's funeral. It was nice as well to not have Mara and Luke heavily shoehorned into the story. They played there (small) part well, and that was all that was needed.

I think a special note must go to what many are complaining about, the speed of her return from the dark. To me, there was no problem. To begin with, I do not believe she was actually fully dark. To me, she was on the tightrope. Luke was like this is ROTJ and DE. Obi-Wan was in TPM. Also, you must remember she isn't "back" yet. Her later dialogue with Kyp says to me she knows she isn't yet free, which is why she lets Kyp feel her emotions.

Nice to as well see the ammount of great quotes filling this book. It really felt that there was a major effort in this department.

As the name Star Wars indicates, fights play an important part. And this to me was no exception. The space battles were a lot more close and personal, in a way similar to the X-Wing novels. The non-ship fights were also very well written. Unlike some novels, I could picture this all vividly in my mind. I think my only problem was the dual between Jaina and Kyp. As Kyp used the force to bring his sabre to his hand, I was hoping for a great fight showing both combatants skills. Instead it was good, but quite brief.

On to characterisations, Jaina first. I thought that she was written very well. She was exactly how I would see a Teenager coming to terms with a lot of things in one go.

This novel also had a rarely used occurence. Characterising unimportant characters. Take Ganner, for example. He must have been in for all of two chapters, yet we learnt so much about his character. Same for the Dozen. We didn't just learn names, we heard some stories too. From Zero-One(Easily the best droid in any SW related thing ever) and his binary-related name to the near Fifty pilot who Kyp is as close as he is willing to be with. In four and a half Zahn novels, we haven't read much about his Wild Karrde crew. But in one chapter, Cunningham manages to make us feel for what previously have just been nameless drones.

On a personal note, Octa Ramis is a cowerdly traitorous scumbag, and I hope we see her end in the future :)

Another refreshing thing was saw was Han and Leia. Once again, you could feel the love between them and their family. Further more, we saw Han and how he cares for Kyp. I've always thought he'd see him as the son he never had, and it appears to be correct. But not only that, Han had his natural cockiness, and Leia(in a rare and momentus event for me) was written spot on. Normally she is either too wimpy or too b**chy. A refreshing thing this was, mmm.

Another thing I didn't expect was for me to like Tenel Ka. To be h

12. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Easily the best droid in any SW related thing ever

What about Tonin, Artoo, Whistler, the droid from DMSH and the droid from the Corellian trilogy, just to name a few?

13. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Wow, that's high praise indeed for DJ, ReaperFett.

By the way, I agree totally with your Jessica Alba analogy. That girl is positively yummy... :D

14. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Nice review Reaperfett! ;) I'm glad you finally finished the book.

I too liked the part of Zero-one. I'm hoping he wasn't in Kyp's X-wing when he bailed because I'd like to see him in the future. He was a good sidekick. Sort of Kyp's conscience.

15. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Thanks for sharing Reaperfett!

I'm a bit more curious as to what you felt about Octa Ramis. Care to elaborate?

My take on that whole situation was that even though Kyp has pursued proactive beliefs - there has always been something "flawed" in either his decision-making and/or his execution of his decisions. Kyp's arrogance at Helska 4 - although no one could have anticipated that conflict - cost the lives of the rest of the Dozen-And-Two Avengers, including Miko Reglia. Kyp's belief system helped support a division within the Jedi and encourage Wurth Skidder, Daeshara'cor and Octa Ramis to pursue goals that were perhaps, ill advised. Kyp's leadership, although charismatic, has continued to mount tremendous casualties within his own Dozen. For all Kyp's skill, for all Kyp's vision, the only survivor in Kyp's cabal, the only constant, from campaign to campaign, IS KYP - so is Kyp making the "right decisions?" Is Kyp the right leader in this war on the Yuuzhan Vong?

Don't get me wrong - I'm a HUGE Kyp fan, but his destiny as always been a road to redemption - so "does getting your followers constantly killed" equate to redemption? Or does saving those around you - even the non-followers - bear more significanse along that destiny's road (to redemption)?

Much like Kyp when Kyp left Master Skywalker in Edge of Victory Conquest, I see Octa Ramis' actions here as strong, independent decision-making. I don't see Octa's actions as any more "traitorous" than Kyp's. If anything, it made Octa question who is more in the right, Master Skywalker or Master Durron? Octa made a HUGE CHOICE, with great ramifications. Octa's decision is significant because it made Kyp question if "his own followers" are having doubt in his leadership abilities, then maybe Kyp should stop to question his own abilities and his own actions?

Kyp had to stop and ask himself if what he was doing in this galactic conflict is the right thing? Instead of trying to save everyone, Kyp chose to save just one - Jaina Solo - and perhaps, that continuing challenge and that continuing destiny in and of itself will bear more fruit than any other accomplishment Kyp could ever achieve.

I don't think Octa is a traitor. If anything, I praise her for standing up to Kyp. Maybe that's what Kyp needed, rather than having a dying Wurth Skidder OR a dying Daeshara'cor become "converts" and realize that perhaps they were "wrong." One of Kyp's most devoted AND LIVING followers for the past two years essentially told Kyp in nonspecific terms that he was wrong - and that set in motion events that in the present seem to hold more value than anything Kyp has done in the past.

Time will play it out - but I say way to go Octa Ramis!!!

16. Noghri_ViR

Feb 4, 2002
    Could someone bring me up to speed on "Octa Ramus" I can't seem to remember how he was at the moment

17. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    NightOwl, I like your theory. It reminds me of the time the Desilijic clan poisoned Aruk the Hutt in the Han Solo trilogy. Maybe instead of directly hurting her, Ta'a addicted Teneniel to something and then cut her off at Fondor. No one would ever suspect too.

ReaperFett, nice review. I have enjoy all the NJO books, but this one was spectacular. The novel had plenty of character development and many great action scenes. Additionally, I cannot see how anyone could not see Jessica Alba's beauty.

18. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    ok i am officially pissed off. i was angered to the point of tears when i found out the authors were actually going to kill anakin, and now they are killing jacen solo as well?!?!?!?! and what makes me even more angry is that anakin went first! if your gonna kill someone, why didnt they just kill jacen and get it over with and put anakin in his place. its making me extrememly angry that they *insist* on killing a young, handsom, promising jedi with a future instead of taking down his brother who is a spoiled brat who basically doesnt care whether the vong consume the galaxy, as long as his philosiphy is right. then, as if killing anakin isnt enough, they dont settle for that, even. they havve to kill BOTH of them. GRRRR! isnt l;osing one son enough for the solos? and the reactions to jacens death were really dumb. when will the authors be satisfied? when they've chopped up OUR galaxy far far away untill it is nothing but sludge?
    and star by star might as well be retitled "september 11th star wars style" and dark journey should just be retitles as "operation: enduring freedom re-written (the bad guys lose this time and KIDS DIE!!)

19. Noghri_ViR

Feb 4, 2002
    I really don't think Jacen is being killed. I'm guessing that the Vong are just shaping him and everyone is feeling the pain that he's in. Imagine getting an arm cut off without anything to hold back the pain. Second maybe when doing this part of Jacen is no longer "in the force" So you get an arm cut off and replaced with some YV bio tech and you not as powerful as you once were? Anyone else have a theroy like this?

20. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    i thiknk hes dead and leias gonna die next. then han, then jaina will go on a big rant thing and kill everyone else whos left.

21. _Trickster_

_Trickster_ Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2002
    As you may guess by my name, I loved DJ. I have been hanging around here silently for almost a year and have finally found a name for both my personality and fave star wars stuff.
    I loved the book- I rated it up there with Rebirth. I didn't hate Jag for existing, and I thought Kyp's portrayal was wonderful. All the little lines in there were perfect- I was laughing every other page.
    "I taught him that!" "Are you bragging or confessing?" "green eyed black haired men" Han's skull fracture, Jaina as a Yuuzzhan Vong goddess . . . It was great. I can go on and on. Kyp's droid, Zekk actually leaving Jaina, Jaina hugging Lowie :)
    Okay, I'll stop quoting random scenes.
    I really did enjoy this book. The way Elaine Cunningham had Jaina thinking was very good; she and Kyp interacted great. (Almost like Arilyn and Danner!) and Tenel Ka was vastly improved.

But in case no one else caught it, everyone go read the dedication. I knew it would be a good book right from there. LMAO!! the poor kid must be so embarressed! Dare I ask his age?

Anyway, enough from me. One last question: Anyone know where I can find the Apprentice or have a copy I can read? what's it about?

_Trickster_

22. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Octa Ramis is the BOMB!!! Kyp needed someone whos opinions he respected to stand up to him like that.

I actually didnt mind Kyp in this...which is really amazing. I thought that on the whole it was great...and the dedication was the best. :D

23. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Wow, What a book!.

It was a very good book. Some scenes really sunk in for me.

1. Tenel Ka feeling something happen to Jacen and taking it out on the pod and a few Deserters. I really felt her pain. It was surprising because It really showed she was "Truly" in love with him. I had thought the NJO was trying to write that information off from the YJK's as a crush. I am glad to see they didn't. Now if they can only make Jacen see it too. I hold out hope we will see more of this possible romance. It only makes sense. The Son should one-up the Dad. Han married a princess, so Jacen should marry a Queen. ;)

2. Anakin's funeral. Especially when Han stepped up and mention Anakin flying them out of danger when Chewy died. That just sort of choked me up.

3. After Han's little incident. I just found it completely amusing and SO Leia when she saw Han's head and said she didn't think anything could crack his thick skull. I still giggle at that. It was just as funny when Jaina repeated the same thought later. That moment really brings out what is so great about Han and Leia's relationship.

I hope this isn't the end of Tenel Ka. She is one of the most interesting Jedi and I am so glad we finally get to see her in more than just a cameo or small supporting roll.

These will go on my list of most memorable scenes from the NJO. Along with Corran's duel on Ithor, Jacen rescuing Leia from the War master, and Anaikin's Death.

Thanks Ms. Cunningham! :D

24. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    What about Tonin, Artoo, Whistler, the droid from DMSH and the droid from the Corellian trilogy, just to name a few?

Not a patch on our Binary-named friend :)

I'm a bit more curious as to what you felt about Octa Ramis. Care to elaborate?

She left Kyp mid-battle. Their goal was to protect the ships. She risked the lives of the Scientists and a Jedi Master. Last I checked, deserters were shot :)

and star by star might as well be retitled "september 11th star wars style"

I'm not even going to start commenting on that

25. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Thanks Reaperfett!

I think there could be an argument that Kyp deserted Master Skywalker in Greg Keyes' books. But then again, it's all a matter of Point of View. Perhaps Kyp felt Master Skywalker was deserting Jedi like Swilja Fenn, Seyerrin Itoklo, Dorsk 82, etc. It'd make an interesting argument needless-to-say!

Take care!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.