main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Everyone digs non-smokers (Gender Neutral)

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Diesel_Dave, Sep 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Duron

Master_Duron Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2002
    Just been there before MJA. Its more like reality. If you havent been a smoker before and tried to quit you just dont understand. It is very easy to be tempted and give in when you first try to quit.

2. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Way to go Dave!!!! :) :) :) We're with you every step of the way. This is the best thing you can do for yourself - STAY STRONG!!!

The Force is with You!

**huge hugs**
    ^.^

3. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    For me it was the habit. You get done w/ work and on the drive home all you want to do is smoke a cigarette and burn off all of the tension. Sitting around at a late night spot, pull a cigarette out and relax w/ your friends.

Cigarettes, for me, were a defense mechanism at first. I started after I quit drinking, to keep from killing people [face_devil] But it didn't take long before they just became a part of my life.

MexChewie is right the hardest part is the mental part, the physical stuff fades really fast, but the mental need can stick around forever! I still think about it every once in a while, or grab a quick drag from someone else to feed the need. But, I haven't done more than that in almost 10 years.

It can be done, and it should be done. Good luck!!! ;) :D

4. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    I haven't been a smoker, but I think my Grandpa is a good inspiration: He had smoked (Pall Malls, I remember the packs :)) since he was a teenager. When I was about 6, he ran out of cigarettes and just decided to quit. He just didn't ever buy anymore. Ever. He never had another cigarette for the rest of his life (15 years). I always that that was pretty cool.

Good luck, all you quitters. :)

5. Diesel_Dave

Diesel_Dave Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I must unlearn what I have learned! :p

For me it was the physical part that got me. I had a small temper till I was about 13-14. I started smoking at 18 and everytime I tried to quit, that dark side begins to dominate my destiny! :eek:

This time, I'm just really sick of it. Ashamed that I've been smoking for almost 15 years. Hanging around non-smokers has been a good influance as of late.

Hugs help alot! So now (if I stick with it) I can give smoke free hugs to all! :D

6. Mara_Jade_AZ

Mara_Jade_AZ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    MD I'm not knocking the difficulty in quitting. I'm not a smoker nor have I ever been, but I know how hard it is to get past a vice, believe me. I just happen to have faith that you're strong enough to do it :D And if you stumble a little, that's only natural. I still think you can do it!

DD I got hugs a plenty! You're welcome to as many as you want every time you see me :)

MJA

7. Master_Duron

Apr 29, 2002
    I defintely quiting after the concert. I promised my wife for the baby.

8. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I blew my doctor away. He said I needed to quit...I started the ya but... and he interupted with.."I have heard every excuse in the book so don't try any on me."
    I replied, "I enjoy smoking."
    He looked at me with this blank expression.

I am in the same boat, I only have 2 friends here in SD that smoke so it's not social. I know now I have to quit because of the Bronchitis (sp?) and living in Cali.

There is a HUGE sign in the airport, "Welcome to California, the non-smoking state" [face_shocked]

Four a day...to quit is my goal...

9. Master_Duron

Apr 29, 2002
    I pretty much just smoke when I drink.

10. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Obi Wan: You don't want to sell me death sticks!

Stay strong Dave!

LP :D

11. Diesel_Dave

May 16, 2002
    I want to go home and rethink my life! :p

12. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    MD as Rage Against The Machine/Zack De La Rocha sung "Guerilla Radio":

It has to start somewhere
    It has to start sometime,
    What better place than here,
    what better time than NOW!

13. Diesel_Dave

May 16, 2002
    That's a cool song. :D

14. CaptHowdy_00

CaptHowdy_00 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    You quitter!

Actualy, I have been smoking since I was 14. I am now almost 32. I do not smoke on weekends when I am around my baby and fiance. However, when I go back on Sunday, I smoke 4 on the way down the mountain.

15. Diesel_Dave

May 16, 2002
    So...I'll be there with you Dave

Hey now that you'll have a puter at home we can start our own support group! :p

16. Ion_Control

Ion_Control Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2002
    *hugs Dave*

Woo-hoo! Go Dave! :D

*hugs Master_Duron*

Don't wait too long after the concert to stop. ;)

GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN KICKING THE TUMOR CAUSING TEETH STAINING SMELLY PUKING HABIT!!! :D :D :D

17. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    I know I didn't smoke as long as you Dave, Sistine, or Duron but I know what it feels like to quit.

I was not an all day smoker, I smoked about 1-2 a day during the week but on the weekends I'd go through a couple packs in a night if I was drinking. I was a heavy social smoker. I chain smoked around alcohol or friends.

I decided to quit when I got married. My husband was a smoker too and we quit together. We just stopped the day we got married. I picked up one smoke a few weeks later when our truck's engine blew, but other than that I've not touched them since. That doesn't mean it was easy though. Nearly 6 years later I still crave them every once in awhile. Especially when I am around people who are drinking, or around friends that smoke. I just took it one day at a time.

I think you can do this Dave and I side with MJA..you can have as many Wenchy hugs as you want when I see you. Quitting smoking was one of the best things I ever did for myself, besides marrying Justin.

Just don't try to be perfect. If you break down and have that one smoke on a bad day, don't take it as a failure. You just start again. Don't beat yourself up for being human. You just say, Ok..I smoked one, that was a mistake..I'll just keep trying.

I'll do anything to help a friend quit. And to you Sistine & Duron I think it's fabulous that you want to too and I'll be there for ya when you quit!

18. Darth_Moridin

Darth_Moridin Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2002
    Been there, quit that. I used to smoke much like J_W did. I smoked socially, mainly, and occasionally on breaks at work. I'd prolly go through a pack a week. When I finally quit, though, it wasn't the physical addiction that got me, it was the sociological addiction. It was something I was used to. I'll admit that I still have one occasionally, but it's alot easier since most of my current friends don't smoke. I'm just not exposed to it.

Stay tough, stick to your guns, and we'll all help you through it.

19. aztrooper0013

aztrooper0013 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2002
    Pfft! Quit, schmit.
    <lights up yet another cancer stick>

Good for you Dave! Good luck on your attempt. I sincerely mean it.

Besides....Just means more smokes for me out on the market. ;)

20. Diesel_Dave

May 16, 2002
    Well if supply and demand holds true, the cost should go down right? :p

Day 2. Thanks for having me over Mick. having fun with everyone made geting through the night much easier. Is it me or do those 24hr. patches only last about 14? :eek:

Anyway, I did find myself going through my tin of Altoids twice as fast but I guess you have to trade one thing for another. My dentist won't like that trade off.

21. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    You're doing great Dave!!

*BIG WENCH HUG*

You smell better already!! The better to hug you my dear! Besides, just brush your teeth more...have all the Altoids you want..you deserve it!

22. Diesel_Dave

May 16, 2002
    :D

Mmmmm Altoids. I think I'll splurge on te cinnamonomonomon(sp?) :D

That's almost how my niece says it!

23. Diesel_Dave

May 16, 2002
    I also found that by taking a swig of water when I'm just getting a slight urge helps. and it's pretty good for me.

Bonus! :D

24. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    The cinaminaminamon (that's how Makay says it) are my favs.

I'm glad you're finding things that help out. Stick with what works. For me it was gum and treating myself to chocolate when I got a craving. For Justin it was sunflower seeds.

25. Diesel_Dave

May 16, 2002
    Not a half bad idea if I get the seeds that don't have the shells. The others are to mesy for me.

I've allready got the gum and I picked up some toothpicks last night.

I'm going to beat this blasted thing :mad:

I don't want to be a scruffy looking smoke herder

edit: :eek: What's this.... Mmmmm Nibs! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.