main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Everyone hates the Phantom Menace but...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AstroDroid88, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Nice side-step. I'm not surprised you made no attempt to explain how and why the prequels were objectively bad movies. It's quite apparent that you have no idea what you're talking about. Especially when you write nonsense like this:

Lucas began writing the first draft of TPM on November 1, 1995. This first draft was significantly different from the filmed version and didn't even include the central character of Qui Gon Jinn. He began writing the second draft the following year, and this too would go through a number changes before it resembled the final 1999 film.

So before you come trolling on a forum for prequel fans, trying to tell them the things they love are bad, why don't you try brushing up on the facts so that you can at least look like you know what you're talking about.

Because right now you're like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.

2. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    ...You dont know what an subjective opinion is do you?

Prisic Duskleap and friedbantha like this.
  3. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    TPM, AOTC and ROTS are practically one large movie. ROTS is just the culmination of the tragedy of Anakin. It is rushed if you 'forget' about the other prequels and look at ROTS as standalone movie, but I think the clear intention of Lucas was that ROTS couldn't be standalone. It worked perfect for me after the events of AOTC. TMP is the beginning so it plays a little bit different role in the PT but it has its right place in the cycle and I like it.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  5. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    I don't hate The Phantom Menace. Making assumptions like this -- in the PT forum no less! -- is a pretty awful way to start your thread. I'm not even interested in engaging with a person who makes that kind of statement because there's no way the discussion will be reasonable.

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015

7. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Please, don't assume anything about us.

Nice vocabulary. Tell me how a couple of BTS show all the work Lucas and his team did.

8. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    I love that this somehow required people to post about liking TFA better. Well, that sure isn't a transparent attempt to stir up trouble at all! Subtle.

Also, when I think someone is kind of lame for posting in a Star Wars-related thread, that is saying something. People, evaluate yourselves and how you're using your time.

9. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015

3*

I like TPM, I Freakin' love TFA. But if the release of TFA has taught me 1 thing, is that if someone attacks something you Love / enjoy, you defend it! People trying to tell you, you're wrong for liking something or you're in denial or "you don't understand" is ridiculous and insulting, you can list points why you might not like something or how you'd personally make it better, but don't tell me I don't understand if I like something and you don't.

whether if you truly enjoy something it should come from an emotional place, it's a reaction, you don't have to justify yourself (unless it's illegal or immoral of course) to anyone!

10. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    This is exactly what im talking about, thank you :)

Cryogenic and jimmycrank like this.
  11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Exactly. Well put (your different name still throws me off lol).

Cryogenic likes this.
  12. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

This is a nice way of putting it. Thank you.

{Quantum/MIDI} and Tonyg like this.
  13. friedbantha

friedbantha Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 26, 2015
    So you're sticking to your guns that the PT is worse than Batman and Robin? Pretty amazing conclusion.

As for your other conclusory assertions, you're just flat wrong. The PT has a very strong following among many critiques who find enormous narrative value in the stories and use of mythology. Even more support the visual storytelling throughout the story.

Ultimately your most basic assertion that "most" critics and moviegoers dislike the films or think poorly of them is disproved by a simple search on Rotten Tomatoes. Now, keep in mind exactly what Rotten Tomatoes is. It's a aggregate score. Some critics think the PT is exceptional. Some think it's is ****. But more critics like them than dislike them. In the case of ROTS, it is many many more. Your assertions are simply false and have no basis in reality.

Moviegoers are even more generous in the aggregate calculator. So again. Your assertion is false.

Even more, adjusted for inflation The Phantom Menace is one of the top selling films of all time doing approximately as well as return of the Jedi.

Moreover, the PT gave us the first CG character ever on film. It's developments in digital technology paved the way for Avatar and our more modern enjoyments. Experts talk on end about the revolutions that were made in the PT in special effects. If you are burying your head in the sand on that I can't help you.

All of your thoughts fail to acknowledge some of the truly unique aspects of the PT like ring composition and pattern cognition. Two aspects of storytelling and filmmaking, respectively, I don't feel responsible to teach you.

As for your assertions about Lucas's writing and directing...well the story is widely applauded and I just addressed some incredible things Lucas did from the director's chair.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Now, don't mistake what I am saying. There are plenty of people who understand everything I just said and still don't like the PT. they aren't interested in the academic side of things or the nuanced details and feel the story fell flat. I have no problem with that opinion.

Your uninformed and ignorant perspective, however, is not welcome. Venture back to reddit or wherever your hive mind views came from.

14. friedbantha

friedbantha Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 26, 2015
    There is an old saying that a sign of intelligence is the ability to hold two contradicting thoughts at once, without accepting either as fact.

I use a similar measure for whether I respect someone's opinion on Star Wars: the ability to evaluate a film fairly while still liking another film more. Most people are not capable of this.

For example - my two favorite Star Wars films are Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith. And yet - here I am discussing TPM without any need to say both of those are superior. Because - you know - subjectivity.

15. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Whoops for some reasons I thought I was quoting Deputy Rick Grimes

Point still remains the same though

DavidSword79 likes this.
  16. Antpocalypse

Antpocalypse Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2016

You know on the last page I said that this is the hardest I've laughed in a long time referring to the Vader using Anakin's voice video.

I take that back.

After reading the comments from the Prequel haters like Air, and then seeing that video, I can surely say that the moment I saw the above video was the one where I've laughed the hardest in a very long time.

"This is getting out of hand, now there are TWO of them."

You betcha, Nute, you betcha. [face_rofl]

17. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    They competently use CGI and are competently acted, written, and directed.

18. Antpocalypse

Antpocalypse Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2016
    Yeah, they are. But not to some people of course. :p

I find it both absolutely hilarious and absurd that some people like to compare the CGI of 20 years ago to the CGI of today, which is much more prevalent but is way more invisible. Thanks to Moore's Law we know that computing power has gone up 25,000 times but people still find it completely logical to compare the two. [face_rofl]

Perception of acting, writing and directing is completely subjective so no comments on that.

19. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    [​IMG]

20. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    one thing i've heard a lot that kind of sticks for me is that people dislike TPM because 'it doesn't feel like Star Wars.' from where i sat TPM nailed the Star Wars tone handily better than the following two.

but RotS is my least favorite; what do i know?

21. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    I wonder what "piss-poor camera work" even means? As in, you can't see what's happening in the shot, like in Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem? Or the composition is framed in a way that draws the viewer's attention to some irrelevant foreground object, as in several Lars Von Trier movies? Or the camera is tilted on its side so everyone looks like they're crawling up a wall, like in, oh I don't know, Spider-Man 1-5? What exactly IS "piss-poor camera work"? :confused:

22. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016

I'm just curious why do you dislike it? I mean, many people who don't like the PT so much, say that ROTS is at least 'decent' (and for them TPM is the worst, of course) but anyway, I'm just curious to ask what TPM has and ROTS hasn't in terms of being Sat wars-y.

23. Mace Windu is GOAT

Mace Windu is GOAT Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    It's still the second worst, though. Which doesn't mean much because all of the Star Wars movies are the best movies ever.

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  24. Air

Air Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2016
    I feel like you're just going on a tangent because very little of this has to do with TPM as a movie, you're mostly talking about the influence, how critics at the time the movie came out reacted to it, its box office gross (also its a Star Wars movie, of course its going to make lots of money) and something and something about composition and patterns and Batman and Robin, even though nobody ever mentioned Batman and Robin. You seem to be strawmanning and acting like a "TOO INTELLIGENT FOR YOU" kinda guy. Can you actually talk about the movie and be civil?

When it comes to the prequels, its not the quality of the CGI that's the problem for most people. Most would agree that the CG'd environments look pretty nice, and even alot of the creatures do when they're not Jar Jar Binks. It becomes an issue when 90% of the movie is CGI, creatures, places, action, all of it. People find it especially insulting since the OT is known for its great use of practical effects. There's probably tons of practical effects in the prequels that go totally unnoticed because everything else is CGI or they just pasted over them with CG anyway.

I find it pretty surprising the movie was actually drafted.

There are plenty of little things that are pretty wrong with the prequels, but Ill list the bigger stuff. Almost every performer in the movie looks and sounds totally bored, the CG gets really overused to the point of being obnoxious, Jar Jar Binks, the cinematography is extremely repetitive, unnecessary character origins, dialogue scenes are awful because of the droning political talk and the repetitive ways dialogue scenes are conveyed, there's just a ton of discuss.

Like I said you're free to like the movie all you want, but there are some things you can't deny.

25. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    um. sense of wonder and adventure, exotic locales/cultures to explore, a menacing space monster scene. i also think that the breezy and grim pieces didn't fit together well and seemed to clash with, rather than compliment, one another. and i didn't think Anakin's fall concluded with any of the finesse, subtlety, or believability that it needed.

it wasn't my intent to put it through the ringer, though. even as my last pick it had things that i dug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.