main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Everyone keeping warm?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Guinastasia, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    My GOD! I thought my skin was going to peel off today! Figures-just when we think we're gonna have a mild winter-BAM!

I was wearing THREE scarves wrapped around my head. One of the guys in security asked if I was a nun when I signed out tonight.

2. TRADMIC

TRADMIC Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2005
    I have a duel-control fitted heat blanket on my bed :D

I love heat. Jason is always saying I need to do more bad stuff so I can be assured a place in Hell, where I will be sufficiently comfortable.

3. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Two down comforters, flannel sheets, and an electric blanket, thankyee. I started walking downtown to teach on Monday and made it 7 blocks before I grabbed the bus. I was getting ice crystals in my nose (-3!) and it hurt to breathe.

4. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    it is sooooo freezing up here! my room is NOT warm! it actually warmed up a bit, but I went to the bank today, and in my hurry forgot to bring a hat...yeah, my ears are still numb, and that was an hour and a half ago!

5. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    On Monday and Tuesday, no school so I kept inside during the coldest parts of the day (morning and evening) although I did go out mid-day, with heavy coat, sweatshirt, hat, scarf and gloves.

A couple of blankets on the couch and the thermastat turned way up. Hot coffee.

I have several blankets on my bed, including my spiffy SW quilt and my electric blanket.

6. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    SW quilt? Do tell!!!

7. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Last year, for Christmas, my middle sister Susan gave me an incredible Star Wars Quilt that she made. It was the first quilt she ever made and she says it will be the last one. [face_mischief] It is large enough to fit a full sized bed. All the images line up perfectly.

See pics of it here

Susan is the one who makes my costumes and is going to do the children's costuming panel at the 2007 ComiCon.

8. SuperChill

SuperChill Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 8, 2005
    :_| "it's cold outside". I love it. Superchill is not only a tasty beverage and my member name. It's a way of life. j/k this weather is a jaggoff but spring is comin soon. Btw nice pics Chris.

9. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    Hope everyone doesn't freeze too bad. Nice quilt Greencat. Hope it keeps you nice and toasty. we lost power here on tuesday, so it was cold in the house, but they got it on after a few hours.

10. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    THAT is one kickass quilt! I'd LOVE to find that material. I need to get myself a sewing machine.

I've been spending all of my money on hot drinks downtown every day after work-I can't afford it, but I can afford even less spending an hour or so hanging out in the cold. And most places won't let you loaf unless you buy something.

*sigh* So not good news for my wallet-or my waistline!

11. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Thanks for the comments about the quilt, I'll pass them along to Susan.

The fabric just came from JoAnn's. There has been lots of neat SW themed fabrics in the past couple of years.

AT-AT Commander, glad your heat is back on. Brrrrr.

12. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    i didn't go to school on monday because...
    1. it was -10 with a -25 windchill at 9 am
    2. i was still getting over that nasty virus i had last week.
    3. it takes 15 min to walk to class
    4. IT WAS -10 WITH A -25 WINDCHILL

im very spoiled though because tuesday my boy got up before me walked the ten minutes to his car in the cold and drove my lazy butt around!!!

and he gave me some long johns so if i have to walk i stay warm....and sometimes we sleep at his house where he can turn he bed on and it's warm...

and...on a side note I know how warm tradmic likes it....
    in our sweltering canadian hotel room...when everyone else found that they couldn't lose enough blankets or clothes to not be hot...she was wearing flanel pj's and was still cold!!!!

13. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    It wasn't QUITE so bad today, but the Allegheny was all iced over.

I also had an excuse to snag a white hot chocolate from Dunkin Donuts. Damn, those things are TASTY. Fattening, but oh so yummy.

14. Jedigirl514

Sep 22, 2002
    I wish they still sold dunkachinos....those were heaven on earth!

15. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    I thought I saw them on the menu...which ones where they?

16. Jedigirl514

Sep 22, 2002
    really? i'm not sure whats in them, but i thought i had heard they were discontinuing them....of course its been ages since i've been there

17. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    Last Saturday, I went for groceries, and came home just as a very nasty squall hit. I parked up between the houses hoping to protect the car a bit from the cold.

I looked at my house and saw that my welcome lights (electric candles) were flickering off and on. Oh, ****.

The lights went off and on everytime the wind kicked up. Not just me - the whole block! This was wreaking havoc on my furnace blower. I thought it might burn up if this kept going on. I called the power company and they got it fixed sometime that night. Meanwhile, I couldn't use the computer. GRRRR...

Must have been a bit freaky driving down the street and seeing all the lights flickering simultaneously in all the houses.

My caller ID box, which is hooked up but not in service, recorded a new call everytime the power went off. The next day, it said I had 133 messages!

18. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    Who had to leave work early? The Science Center closed at 2 today-which is pretty rare, from what I gather.

19. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    My work let me out at 2:00, I normally get off at 5:00. I work in the North Hills and 279 had not been touched, Everybody was going 20mph. To get home I go through downtown and through the squirrel hill tunnels. What's ironic is that I actually got home faster than normal because there was no traffic at the tunnels. =D=

20. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    I left at 2:00 today. It was optional. I said, "I'll opt!"

21. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    I didn't go in to work at all today. Yeah, I'll have to make it up in the spring and the last of spring break is about to disappear. And I'll have to redo my lesson plans for the third time. Sigh.

22. Jedigirl514

Sep 22, 2002
    all my friends colleges have classes being canceled, at least part of the day tomorrow...i sincerely any of mine will be...and work at 8:00 am...well not be nice...

23. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    I called in to my volunteer job at Passavant-the roads are just too horrid. And the CSC is closed AGAIN.

24. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    my school cancelled classes....and my prof's decided classees last night were a bad idea, so i've had two days off school in a row!!!!

i still have to work though...and i'm mad because i could've worked longer yesterday but i thought i had class!

25. Jedigirl514

Sep 22, 2002
    I had one class canceled today!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.