"Everything I tell you is a lie" what the hell does that mean exactly?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LordVader66, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordVader66 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ever since Veregere told Jacen Solo "everything I tell you is a lie" in Traitor, I never understood it. Surely, she didn't mean it literally? Isn't there some added significance that I am missing? And with Lumiya using the phrase to gain Jacen's trust, I must ask now what it means.
  2. SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Best thread title I've seen in quite some time.
  3. Havet_Storm Jedi Knight

star 3
    Vergere was leading Jacen to the 'truth', but she wasn't necessarily doing that by telling him what the 'truth' is.

Edit She wanted Jacen to question everything he knew and look through the veil of illusions ordinary people see to fine the ultimate Truth beyond thatEdit

The phrase represents the paradoxical nature of the Force - the whole darkside/no darkside/how can the darside exist if the force is a good natural part of life thing.
  4. Sikon Jedi Youngling

star 3
    "Everything I tell you is a lie. Including this very phrase. Meaning not everything I tell you is a lie... oh, screw you, logical paradoxes."
  5. Darth_Culator Jedi Master

star 2
    It's pseudo-intellectual tripe used to try to fool people into thinking the NJO is "deep" when it really just sucked.
  6. Havet_Storm Jedi Knight

star 3
    No it's not! It's ... It's well, um, pseudo-philosophical tripe...

Meh the NJO wan't that bad, except for the second half.
  7. IceHawk-181 Jedi Master

star 4
    ?and the first half.:oops: (nah..it all sucked)

The KFC Jedi Knight that was Vergere was trying to force Jacen into questioning his view on the force.[face_devil]

She wanted to break him and lead him to darkness?she?s a fallen-nut job Jedi?.I never took her seriously to begin with?
  8. ThrawnRocks Jedi Master

star 6
    This question makes baby Waru cry....

...because Vergere started beatin baby Waru upon hearing this question, angry that someone had finally called her out.
  9. Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master

star 5
    There was, too, the whole issue of the truth being too complex to be distilled to mere words and phrases. They can't capture the entire picture of an experience or a state of being.
  10. Darth_Foo Jedi Master

star 4
    it means...

(to all x-files fans)

TRUST NO ONE!!!
  11. Mariu Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Does what she says apply to the statement itself?
  12. Rouge77 Jedi Knight

star 5
    It could be interpreted as a call for Jacen to really open his eyes, think for himself, find his own way and not to trust any authorities just because they are in a position of authority towards him. Not even Vergere herself. Doubt everything that is just given to him as a fact, a certainty, until he himself has really thought about it. This is the positive way I would interpret it. The negative way is to say that Vergere just was an irritating character whose maddening personality is revealed by this saying.
  13. FTeik Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It is a hint for Jacen to use his brain, to come to his own conclusions and to question what is presented to him as fact.

Basically a warning to not let himself be indoctrinated by others.

The funny thing is, in LotF, which turns the clocks back after the massive outcry over the changes made in the NJO (Potentium and so on), that Jacen seems to be doing the exact opposite.
  14. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    It's Bocce for "I'm going to be retconned into a Sith".
  15. Master_Palpy Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Read Traitor and decide for yourself.
  16. rumsmuggler Jedi Grand Master

star 7
  17. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    QFT, and well stated.
    Well, not if Lumiya was lying about that.
  18. NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling

star 4
    It means she's a politician.
  19. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    It means she wants him to carefully consider everything she says, and not blindly accept it, looking deeper for the meaning past the words used to express it.

It also means "I'll confuse the hell out of a bunch of fanboys who don't do that, and spark massive fan backlash."
  20. cbagmjg Jedi Knight

star 3
    I personally think it's time to get out of the Skywalker era and focus on the other thousands and thousands of years. How many stories do we need about the Skywalker family. Not that they're bad, it's just there's so much else out there in the Star War's universe to explore. Thank god for KOTOR. More of the time before and after KOTOR would be alright by me.
  21. Rohniss Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It means pull on your waders and boots.. the Bullsith is fixing to get REAL deep..
  22. Charlemagne19 Force Ghost

star 8
    No offense but I'm alittle wary of past stories because so much of them are just...meh.

Every story thus far seems to be an excuse to repeat Jedi vs. Sith with a new cast. It's like Gundam. Every "new" story is a retelling of the original series.
  23. Lightsaber_101 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I agree with Havet...
    The whole NJO didn't suck, I was rather fond of the more-towards-the-beginning-middle part, though the first two books were decent. I liked vergere at first, but as the series continued i felt she was destroying the entire star wars universe.
  24. Excellence Jedi Knight

star 7

It's like Frodo was Sam, and Sam was Frodo . . .

It doesn't have to mean anything. It's all about the boy achieving confidence in himself, and there was nothing wrong with torturing him, you Winter-haired drows. To understand your enemy you have to walk in their shoes, wear their, ah, piwafwi-class cloaks. It was all told, anyway, not showed; I've heard the Wizard's First Rule book had testicle eating torture. Korean men eat it (sheep's) for skin nutrition, according to a classmate, so there's varying degrees of yuck, and the boy's Embrace of Pain sojourn was a Disney comparison.
  25. MiniRogue Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Vergere, shes just dishonest. And you can always trust a dishonest person to be dishonest. Honestly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.