main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evidence to suggest XXXXXX may have not died (Spoilers for SbS)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by 0bi-Wan, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0bi-Wan

0bi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 13, 2001
    Yeah XXXXXX is Anakin.

1) Tahiri and Anakin were being built up very very intricately by the authors. It would have been a waste of an entire book and hundreds of pages.

2) Anakin grew luminescent, infact translucent if you will. That has to signify something important. A desperate Jedi can't just turn glowing and kick temporary butt.

3) Anakin's dissapearance in the Force may be something related other than death. Perhaps even his body retrieval signifies something. I would for once like to see Yuuzhan Vong technology put to use, kill off that Jaina Spears off instead.

4) Anakin died to kill VOXYN? I mean come on. I am a big fan of Troy Denning but that is just funny. The kid that is the namesake of Darth Vader CAN'T die to a pair of drooling mindless beasts and a couple of hundred Yuuzhan Vong. I wish Luke named his son Anakin. Sheesh.

5) This new kid that's a look alike to Anakin may come important. Anyone remember Callista? Hmm?

6) And last but not least, I just HOPE Anakin doesn't show himself in spirit form. No-one in EU knows how to do it, and it would be implausible if Anakin can do it when Qui-Gon can't.

Tell me what you think.

Best Regards,
    --O.W.

2. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    plausable and interesting.

3. Genghis_the_Dead_12

Genghis_the_Dead_12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2001
    Correct. It is rather strange to assume that Anakin died, when he is merely "gone."

There's no dispute that many people (in the GFFA as well as our own galaxy) are perhaps mistakenly convinced that he's dead.

However, he very easily could have survived, given the circumstances of his "assumed" death. For him not to return in the flesh given that he may be alive would be rather wrong.

4. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    How long did people pretend there was a way Chewie could have escaped death ???

5. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I think that you're playing with semantics here, Genghis. Anakin was gone, but his body was left behind. His mother, his uncle, his aunt, and his brother and sister all seem to to think that they felt him die.

Now I'm having visions of Monty Python.
    CUSTOMER: Here's one -- nine pence.
    DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!
    MORTICIAN: What?
    CUSTOMER: Nothing -- here's your nine pence.
    DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!
    MORTICIAN: Here -- he says he's not dead!
    CUSTOMER: Yes, he is.
    DEAD PERSON: I'm not!
    MORTICIAN: He isn't.
    CUSTOMER: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.
    DEAD PERSON: I'm getting better!
    CUSTOMER: No, you're not -- you'll be stone dead in a moment.
    MORTICIAN: Oh, I can't take him like that -- it's against regulations.
    DEAD PERSON: I don't want to go in the cart!
    CUSTOMER: Oh, don't be such a baby.
    MORTICIAN: I can't take him...
    DEAD PERSON: I feel fine!
    CUSTOMER: Oh, do us a favor...
    MORTICIAN: I can't.
    CUSTOMER: Well, can you hang around a couple of minutes? He won't be long.
    MORTICIAN: Naaah, I got to go on to Robinson's -- they've lost nine today.
    CUSTOMER: Well, when is your next round?
    MORTICIAN: Thursday.
    DEAD PERSON: I think I'll go for a walk.
    CUSTOMER: You're not fooling anyone y'know. Look, isn't there something you can do?
    DEAD PERSON: I feel happy... I feel happy. [whop]
    CUSTOMER: Ah, thanks very much.
    MORTICIAN: Not at all. See you on Thursday.

6. wk_sock

wk_sock Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
    Well, it's only been [checks watch] 10 minutes since I've seen a thread about this subject.

wk_sock

7. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    He is an ex-JEDI!!!!

8. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    No, but in all seriousness, GREAT POINT obi-wan. I think the most significant point you made is the Anakin/Tahiri thing, why would authors waste that much time. So far, despite the EU Forum's wildest fantasies (and those of Chissdude), we've just been trying to pair up Jaina, and to a less extent Jacen, with people we think they've had sparks with. Its a sad sad sad existence and we're living it. On the other hand, the only one to really "kiss" someone in NJO was Anakin and Tahiri. Jaina's kissing Kyp doesn't count, or whoever she kissed. The only 'real' relationship being assembled was Anakin/Tahiri. If it Anakin's ex-Jedi condition is indeed permanent, I could see this as a nice way off getting Jacen and Tahiri together. A sad way, but an acceptable one. They'd probably have a son named Anakin. . . . . ok so maybe i'm pushing it. But i'll still hold to on my belief that Anakin WILL return, and i'm not just being overly-optimistic. Give him time.

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Not semantics, Gandolf. Those very same people seemed to think that others died too when it wasn't the case. In fact, some of them thought they died themselves and it wasn't the case. So, certainly their track record in "assuming death" is not at all a good one.

When it comes to fantasy, sci-fi, Star Wars and Jedi, gone does not equate to dead. Especially when a character who has mystical healing tears and ambiguous allegiances is one of the first to reach him, when the Force has its fingers in the events as well, and a mysterious "cocoon" (synonomous with rebirth) envelopes him.

It's not semantics - there's a much better chance he survived than there is that he died. Seriously.

10. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Why build up a character?

So it will have even more impact when he dies.

Face it, no one cared when the "red shirts" dies in ST, but when Spock died, people cared.

wk

11. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Funny you mention Spock, wild_karrde. ;) :D I think that's a good character to use in this case for some strange reason.

12. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Yes excellent choice, indeed.

Anyway, Genghis brings up some good points.

13. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
  14. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    :D Yes, the best point of all, Gandolf.

"Find a freakin' existing thread on the subject instead of creating the 100th or so one dealing with it." :D

15. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Though I was saddened by Anakin's death, it was coming from a mile away. Anakin's perfection was getting uninteresting and boring. And if they do bring him back, they will have alot of explaining to do. It will be forced and uncouth. Not to mention it's been done before many times. RAS has brought two main characters "back from the dead" in his stories as well. Anakin's return will render everything Anakin has done since Chewie's death completely meaningless. Because living to carry on Chewie's great sacrifice has led Anakin to the very path of his demise. And, clearly, the purpose of SbS is to show - not insinuate - Anakin's death.

This is a science fiction series, not a soap opera. Leave Anakin dead, please!

16. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    Well said. :D

Why do people keep thinking that they're the first to start up a new topic on the matter? One thread is great, two or three threads are fine, but ten to twenty? Look back a few pages! Shesh...

17. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    "Jimmy" is dead, he ain't comming back, Anakin is gone, he's dead, having him come back would make SbS an utter waste. And Borsk, he's dead too, so deal with it.

Where are all the threads about bringing Borsk back, there are none! Because he wasn't popular. Anakin has a following, and now he's dead, and you can't deal with it. He's dead, gone, he ain't returning. Remember "The Search For Spock" didn't you feel like brining him back cheated "The Wrath of Kahn" yet you still wanna bring Ani back.

No one wants to bring Thrawn back, yet you want Ani back. Got news, in "Real Life" in "Real Wars" people don't come back.

It's sad, it's reality, it sucks. Deal with it.

18. jimmything2681

jimmything2681 Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2001
    ok, one of you asked "why would the authors spend that much time building up the relationship between Anakin and Tahiri if they were going to kill him off?" Think about it. How did you feel when he was killed? You were sad and pissed, pissed because you thought he was going to save the Jedi in some big climax and sad because he had the potential to be really happy with a nice girl like that. They did it intentionally to build up sympathy for the character. What would have happened if Jacen had done the same thing? We wouldn't be nearly this upset. I for one, hope that Anakin stays dead. He died a very heroic death, and it was very well written.

NOW
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S
    P
    A
    C
    E
    I'm ashamed if you don't know how this is all going to end right now. The Vong spent a good chunk of the book talking about how important twins are, and Lah wanted to capture Jacen and Jania to make them fight, as a sacrifice for their gods. Jania's dark side now. They're gonna fight, and Jacen, in probably a parallel of the ROTJ battle between Vader and Luke, will convince Jania to turn back. They then somehow get out of Vong captivity, probably with the help of the other Jedi that Jania gets captured going back for Jacen, and do something on the way to end the Vong threat, maybe with the help of the Shamed Ones.

There are only 2 ways I can see Anakin coming back. 1. The Dark Jedi hinted at the Dark Side, if used properly, can be used to resurrect the dead. Or was that in the Vader v. Maul comic. I can't remember now.
    2. Someone before mentioned Anakin as the "Chosen One". Synonym for "Messiah". Since the Star Wars series is steeped in religious symbolism, I can see Anakin being brought back kind of like Jesus (with this I intend no blasphemy, just to point out a similarity between the two stories). Brain not work anymore. 15 page paper due in 23 hours.

19. Knightstalker-

Knightstalker- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    The NJO series has reached an all time low...with all the characters they could have killed, why Anakin?!
    Well, I think I'll wash my hands of this whole NJO fiasco, I've had enough of the "Death of the Week" attitude these writers seem to take.
    Goodbye.

20. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    jimmything2681, well said and well forecasted. I completely agree.

The twins will end this, not Anakin by any stretch of the imagination.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think the reason people aren't posting for Borsk to come back is that, even while having SOME fans at least, there's no ambiguity about his death. He had a bomb (thermonuclear big blast-type) tied to a heart monitor so that when he died, it would explode and kill Vong. It exploded and killed Vong. Even were he not dead, the explosion would have killed him.

Anakin on the other hand SHOULD have been incinerated by the detonator he left behind. But if Nom Anor wasn't killed (also should have been vaporized) then Anakin wasn't necessarily vaporized, and then he's merely "gone." YES, it's totally a difference in semantics but as far as I can remember all other semi-main characters who had fan bases -- from Crix Madine to Gaeriel Captison -- all had explicit deaths. Callista didn't and kept reappearing, etc...

22. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Hmmmm.

I wonder if the Kyp and Jacen supporters would be so "Just leave him dead already!" if it had been Kyp or Jacen that died? ;)

JMA

23. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Absolutely. If Jacen is destined to die, so be it. Let him die and please, do not bring him back. I'm sure more would rejoice at Jacen's death anyhow.

24. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I liked chewie and Borsk.

I Like Kyp, Jacen and Lando.

Let 'em die.

25. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    1) Tahiri and Anakin were being built up very very intricately by the authors. It would have been a waste of an entire book and hundreds of pages.

Anakin was "built up" for many reasons, one of which, as noted above, was to make his death mean that much more (if the information about planning sessions and inter-author communication is correct, then we can assume Anakin's death was in the cards before Conquest and Rebirth). And Tahiri. Think of the potential character development for her, now.

2) Anakin grew luminescent, infact translucent if you will. That has to signify something important. A desperate Jedi can't just turn glowing and kick temporary butt.

I saw Anakin's "transformation" signifying his passing into the Force as well as typifying his connection to the Force. I don't think he was desperate. He knew what had to be done. He opened himself fully to the light side of the Force. Due largely in part to his injuries, his body could not handle that kind of power (anyone remember Dorsk 81?). This acceptance of the full nature of the Force is the kind of act we saw from Obi-Wan and Yoda.

3) Anakin's dissapearance in the Force may be something related other than death. Perhaps even his body retrieval signifies something. I would for once like to see Yuuzhan Vong technology put to use, kill off that Jaina Spears off instead.

I would have actually been okay if his body had disappeared. I think the only reason it didn't was to have something for Jaina to go after. Hmmm...

4) Anakin died to kill VOXYN? I mean come on. I am a big fan of Troy Denning but that is just funny. The kid that is the namesake of Darth Vader CAN'T die to a pair of drooling mindless beasts and a couple of hundred Yuuzhan Vong. I wish Luke named his son Anakin. Sheesh.

The voxyn certainly weren't "mindless", but I agree, Anakin didn't die just to potentially wipe out the threat of the voxyn... Hmmm... ;)

5) This new kid that's a look alike to Anakin may come important. Anyone remember Callista? Hmm?

Absolutely no importance. Just a sick ploy by a sick woman.

6) And last but not least, I just HOPE Anakin doesn't show himself in spirit form. No-one in EU knows how to do it, and it would be implausible if Anakin can do it when Qui-Gon can't.

Where does it say that no-one in the EU knows how to do it? Daeshara'cor did it in Ruin, if I recall correctly. Additionally, do we want to be told everything the Jedi (past and present) know about the Force? My favorite aspect of the Force is its mysticism (which is under attack with each an every prequel Lucas makes). Furthermore, who says it's something you know how to do? Perhaps all it has to deal with is one's acceptance of the full nature of the Force. The case can be made that Qui-Gon was too focused on the here and now, the living Force. He did not see his death coming. He was not attuned to the unifying Force. I think Anakin saw it all and saw that he was to move on to something bigger and better. I hope he comes back in spirit form.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.