main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evidence to suggest XXXXXX may have not died (Spoilers for SbS)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by 0bi-Wan, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0bi-Wan

0bi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 13, 2001
    Well if they don't have a plausible to bring him back, I'm guessing Jacen will be the primo-Jedi-hombre from now on.

I'm still sticking with the idea that the lambent has something to do with it. There were dozens of pages devoted to that storyline, and I spent hours reading that book.

And if Del Rey writes unnecessary plots about lambents and Tahiri-Anakin just to fill up pages, and serve no purpose in the future maybe they should begin making tabloids instead of books.

I do like the books though, don't get me wrong, its just that Anakin's "death" seems a bit sudden and unexplained.

I mean its illogical for an author to need to establish a "who-will- die-next-fear-me-and-the-vong" atmosphere just to make the book tense.

It just seems like if they DID kill off Anakin, they did it to again reinforce the idea that "ANYONE CAN DIE IN THESE SERIES".

Ha! They can?

I'd like to see you kill of Ben Skywalker!
    :)

--O.W.

2. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    -Vergere-
    "Clearly, the intention of SbS was to show that he died."

Clearly, the intent of Sbs was to make people think he died.

SWI is merely reinforcing that intent, that's not in dispute.

3. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Clearly, the intent of Sbs was to make people think he died.
    There is a fine line between making people think Anakin died and showing Anakin died.

SbS showed Anakin's death because clearly, we cannot speculate on any hidden agendas that DR may have for us in the future. As of right now, all we can say as a matter of fact is that SbS showed Anakin's death. Saying SbS's intention was to make people think he died is to speculate on future events which we do not know yet. We may be able to say what you are saying in retrospect after the series is over, but not yet. And a supposed return for Anakin is far more contrived than leaving him dead.

4. Rokangus

Rokangus Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2000
    <sigh> So many issues to address. Where to start.

Well I guess first off, I feel the need that one thing has not been taken into account. The psychology of the authors. Go ahead laugh now, I can here you in the back. :p

But seriously, a lot of people are acting as if the authors and Del Rey are in this for the artistic value or something. Anakin had to die because it makes sense. Anakin dying and staying dead has to happen because it sends a good message (which I disagree with, and I'll say why later). And for the most part i would agree that yes, Anakin's permanent death and the build-up before makes some sense, from an artistic POV. However, this isn't the mindset of DelRey and the authors.

Because DelRey and the authors are business people.

The authors and DelRey aren't the incarnate Hemingway/Steinbeck/etc. conglomeration out to make the world a better place through their writing. They're business people trying to make money. And the plot the NJO takes goes that way because that's how they feel they will make the most money. It's sad but it's true.

And in light of that, I feel that Anakin's comeback is inevitable. Think about it. They build up Anakin's character, make him so that the majority of the readers at least identify and like him. Then they off him in SbS. Instantly millions of fans are in denial/rage/melancholy, much as we see in microcosm here in the JC. You get fans who would do anything to get Anakin back.

And they get him back. Through some loop-hole or twist of fate, anakin returns, and DelRey makes scads of money from all those fans rushing to get the book where Anakin returns.

Yeah I agree. It's a cheap plot device and belittles Anakin's death on an artistic level. But DelRey doesn't care about that. DelRey cares about the millions it will make from it's clever marketing ploy.

Now granted, DelRey might not do this and keep him dead. That's real possibility. I would be really surprised (yet proud of them) if they didn't. Personally, if anakin is dead he ought to stay dead, and that's just my own opinion.

Now back to what I said earlier about disagreeing with the rhetoric that anakin's death was a good thing and sends a good message. Bantha Fodder. I agree that Anakin's death sends a message. I believe the message it sends goes a little something like this:

If you don't have the values and standards 'we' like, you will DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Such a charming message isn't it.

Personally, and I've said stuff like this before in other places before, I think the mature thing to have done with anakin's character is do the same thing they did in Rebirth to Jacen: Have him learn from his mistakes.

In Rebirth, Jacen finally began to break through the flaws in his personal philosophies through the conversations he has with both Han and Leia. I thought this was great; I loved it. Jacen grew as a character and became more mature. He became much more real to me, and I was able to gain some respect for him.

I think the same thing should have been done to Anakin. Granted he was reckless and headstrong. It doesn't require any Jedi abilities to se this. But why kill him? I think it would have been much better if he had some sort of near-death experience equivalent to Luke's battle with Vader in ESB and learned that his recklessness was a real danger to him. He mature's and grows as a character. That sends a much better message IMHO.

5. Genghis_the_Dead_12

Genghis_the_Dead_12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2001
    Exactly. You raised a lot of good points. One especially...
    "Personally, if anakin is dead he ought to stay dead, and that's just my own opinion."

But, by the flipside, if Anakin by is not dead, then he shouldn't stay "gone" either. No plot contrivance is required. There's a much better chance for Anakin to live than there is for him to have been dead. This plot point is a major issue, which is why we get things like Star Wars Insider not rocking the boat with anything.

If Anakin never died in Sbs, then of course he should return. It would be crazy for him to become some unseen recluse like Callista. His ordeals may send him on a Corran-esque journey of reflection, but then I'd also expect we'd see this happening instead of it occurring "off-screen."

6. Rokangus

Rokangus Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2000
    Yeah, I agree with that. If Anakin did manage to pull off an escape, not only would it be foolish to keep him hidden at this point, it would be out of character.

The last thing Anakin's would do after he recovers or whatever is stay holed up somewhere. He'd try and get back to friends and family A-SAP.

7. jimmything2681

jimmything2681 Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2001
    I just hope they don't pull something ridiculous like what they did with Superman--"he was just in a healing trance for the whole time and nobody knew." I really believe that he is DEAD, and not just appears to be such, because everyone felt it through the force. Now that's not to say he won't be brought back.

8. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    HE'S DEAD! I know a lot of you can't accept that but he is. Learn to live with it. Denning even says he's dead in his interview, at least that's what I remember.

9. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    No he doesn't, the interview doesn't go anywhere near that topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.