main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evil Deeds not Consistent in Entire Saga...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by EvilSkillZ, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilSkillZ

EvilSkillZ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    I don't really want to start this debate but I guess I am. Why the heck can Lucas show Vader being extremely evil in deciding to kill everyone around him in Rots...(Which I love by the way) and not show Han shooting Greedo first? Han is a swashbuckling person who doesn't give a damn about anyone but himself. He even says in ANH, better her than me. Why would a guy who is constantly running from Jaba and his duties care if he shot a guy first who was trying to kill him? He is trying to save his own neck. Now I think the dvd version does a better job with this scene then the special edition but it still seems stupid why Lucas changed it in the first place....

Why the heck can he show certain characters in the saga do very evil things and care that Han Solo is a perfect human being?

2. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    I cannot see how this is inconsistent...

Solo is a smuggler and Anakin is a Jedi.

Maybe the "inconsistencies" exist cause the two characters you mention are exactly that - two different characters with different personas and storylines to fulfill??

Now,if your point related to one same character in the saga then I may be inclined to see your point.

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    An inconsistency would be if it was the same character. Han Solo above all else is a fearless hero. He isn't an antagonist, he helps the central hero along the journey. Lucas felt that by having one of the heroes kill someone in cold blood, it would take away from the heroic nature of the character.

In contrast, Vader is completely evil (until the very end.) He is consumed by shadow and thus kills whom ever he pleases.

Lucas didn't edit Han shooting to limit the violence of the film, it was done to fix something that Lucas viewed as a story problem.

-Seldon

4. EvilSkillZ

EvilSkillZ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    What about frames of scenes in ANH where imperial officers get their chest exploaded is now cut in the special editions. Most people don't know about this, what the heck is the point to that...

And another point on the Han thing...Lets look at this realisically to Han's character...

This is a man that says, "Better her than me." He doesn't care about anyone other than himself. Lucas stays with the story about how Han is running from his depts and is doing this all for a reward. But then he changes the fact that he's able to kill a guy to save his own neck?

OF COURES HE WOULD. let me make another point, the original scene didn't show han as a cold blood killer. It showed a man that would do anything to save his skin, exactly his character. Also, if a man has a gun pointed at you. And your at the end of your rope, wouldn't you do exactly what Han did in the original version? Distract him for a sec and try to shoot him first? Wouldn't YOU shoot a guy before giving him the chance to fire at your head? It just doesn't make any logical sense to change it. At least admit to those points.

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I'm not going to get into a long who shot who motivation argument here. They are long and tired and trite by now.

I will say this, there is a difference between selfishness and being a killer. There is a line between the two. Sure Han is only concerned with self preservation and a sense of fun, however he was in no danger with Greedo. He was in control of the situation (as we see in both editions.)

Frankly, I have no idea what you're talking about in regard to the imperial chest thing. You will have to post proof or retract.

This shouldn't be an all out bashing fest of the special editions. There is plenty of that around as it is. Lets stick to the consistent evil deed discussion.

This forum is for discussion of all six films, thus far you are only discussing A New Hope. This is also already a topic in Classic Trilogy (where it does belong) it is prohibited in the TOS to have the same thread in two different forums.

-Seldon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.