main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Evil Escaped His Sight (GWG Valentine's Day Challenge Response)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Matthew_Wolverine, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew_Wolverine

Matthew_Wolverine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    This month's "Valentine Challenge" theme will be titled, "A soldier's letter home". This challenge's word limit will be 4,000. That should be more than enough. The guidelines will be, but is not limited, to depict the conflict that the writer is involved in and express his sentiments/affections for his loved one back home. The deadline for this one will be February 14. The object of this challenge is to write the most inspiring letter. You can use any canon character or your own original character, but the conflict/war has to be canon or EU. Examples are the Rebellion, the Clone Wars, Yuuzhan Vong invasion, etc. Keep in mind there were many battles within these great wars, so it's not as limiting. Good luck!

Title: Evil Escaped His Sight
    Author: Matthew_Wolverine
    Time Frame and Setting: The Saga. During the Galactic Civil War. On board the first Death Star, the day that it is destroyed.

Dear Ladia,

This may be my last letter. Over the past few months, my feelings concerning this war have grown increasingly conflicted. I still believe in some of the Empire's ideals, but I've come to realize that the ideal and the reality are vastly different. And the injustices which the Rebels claim to be fighting against are all too real. I denied that fact in my own mind for a long time, but it's true. By the time you receive this letter, you probably will have heard about the destruction of Alderaan. It sickens me to know that I was serving aboard this vessel when it destroyed a planet. I guess I've failed to live up to my name. I should have been more watchful. Maybe I would have realized the truth sooner.

So I'm writing you this letter to let you know that I've decided to try to defect to the Rebel Alliance. I plan to make my escape from the Death Star tomorrow. Eventually, I'll try to find the Rebels so I can join up with them. But first I'm coming home to you. However, leaving the Empire's service won't be easy. If I'm captured, I'll probably be executed as a deserter.

Strangely I don't fear my own death as much as I fear the idea that I may not get to see you again before I die. It truly pains me to think that I may never look upon you again. Oh, how I wish for one more moment with you. To behold your beautiful face and your gorgeous black hair. To see your angelic smile and gaze into your oceanblue eyes. To touch your soft skin and kiss your sweet lips once more.

I realize that writing this letter puts me at greater risk, but I feel that I must do so. That way, if I fail to come home to you, perhaps my letter will. I have to go now. I hope to see you soon.

Between now and again until I see you again, I'll be loving you.

Your soulmate,

Ira Darkstranger
    (scribbled unintelligibly but recognizable to the intended recipient)

2. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
    That was nice.

Between now and again until I see you again, I'll be loving you.

I really liked that line. Very nice work.

3. Matthew_Wolverine

Nov 25, 2002
    Thanks.

I borrowed that particular line from a song, but I thought it fit very well there.

4. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    good work, Matthew! =D=

cool idea, very trajic, but really original :)

I realize that writing this letter puts me at greater risk, but I feel that I must do so. That way, if I fail to come home to you, perhaps my letter will.
    I liked that part: very romantic & sweet! :)

5. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Yep, I thought I recognized that line. Nice letter. I liked that it was a letter from someone on the wrong side of the war. Nice touch.

6. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Good job, Matt! It was excellent. Very nice touches... :D Wonderful answer to the challenge!

7. Matthew_Wolverine

Nov 25, 2002
    Thank you, ladies and gentleman. :)

8. Darth_Djinn

Darth_Djinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2004
    Valentine's Day bump

9. Mike-Sunrider

Mike-Sunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2003
    Good job on it.

I like the fact it came from an Imperial, that was a nice touch to it.

And of course the use of the line from the song; it worked well.

10. Matthew_Wolverine

Nov 25, 2002
  11. Odd-Thomas

Odd-Thomas Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
    Very realistic letter home. I enjoyed it!

12. Matthew_Wolverine

Nov 25, 2002
  13. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Beautifully done! The title was quite fitting.

Over the past few months, my feelings concerning this war have grown increasingly conflicted. I still believe in some of the Empire's ideals, but I've come to realize that the ideal and the reality are vastly different. And the injustices which the Rebels claim to be fighting against are all too real. I denied that fact in my own mind for a long time, but it's true.

What makes this letter even more tragic is that his realization came too late.

I realize that writing this letter puts me at greater risk, but I feel that I must do so. That way, if I fail to come home to you, perhaps my letter will. I have to go now. I hope to see you soon.

I especially liked this part.

Excellent vignette. :)

14. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Beautiful! What a wonderful love letter. Anyone would be thrilled to get a letter like this.

Strangely I don't fear my own death as much as I fear the idea that I may not get to see you again before I die. It truly pains me to think that I may never look upon you again. Oh, how I wish for one more moment with you. To behold your beautiful face and your gorgeous black hair. To see your angelic smile and gaze into your oceanblue eyes. To touch your soft skin and kiss your sweet lips once more.

=D=

15. Matthew_Wolverine

Nov 25, 2002
    Thanks, ladies.

16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    VaderLVR hit it right on the head... I'd love to get a letter like this.

After reading it I couldn't help but just sigh in contentment. :)

17. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    Wow! Great job on this letter! This is what all guys wish they could write to that special someone, but most of us fall short! =D=

18. Matthew_Wolverine

Nov 25, 2002
    Thanks.

*takes notes*

19. DreamOfKenobi

DreamOfKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 4, 2004
    Great love letter! I wish I had gotten letters like that when my husband was stationed so far away from me! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.