main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Evil Yoda?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Point_Of_View, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Point_Of_View

Point_Of_View Jedi Knight star 2

May 23, 2017
    Why didn't Yoda do anything other than sit in a swamp for a long period of time?
    No helping the Rebels?
    No trying to kill Vader?
    Disregard the PT. Approach the question as if you are existing in the period from 1983 to 1999.

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    My guess would be Yoda isn't the real Yoda. He's an ancient Sith spirit housed inside a literal puppet. In the ST he would return and reveal the dark truth to Luke.

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I had always assumed he was waiting to train Luke because Luke was the only one who could take down Vader and the Emperor, and it was too risky to come out of hiding because he would be discovered by them.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas's intention in 1981 was that Yoda wasn't a Jedi Knight, he was just a Jedi Master. A Jedi Master like Yoda was not a warrior, but a teacher. So he could not fight since that was not his capability. He could only teach others. He could only wait until a new pupil came to him.

5. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    But Yoda is shown to have powerful telekinetic ability in the film.
    Maybe give Vader the ol' shove?

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas: Also another misconception is that Yoda teaches Jedi, but he is like a guru; he doesn’t go out and fight anybody.

Kasdan: A Jedi Master is a Jedi isn’t he?

Lucas: Well, he is a teacher, not a real Jedi. Understand that?

Kasdan: I understand what you’re saying, but I can’t believe it; I am in shock.

Lucas: It’s true, absolutely true, not that it makes any difference to the story.

Kasdan: You mean he wouldn’t be any good in a fight?

Lucas: Not with Darth Vader he wouldn’t.

Kasdan: I accept it, but I don’t like it.

--The Making of Return Of The Jedi, 1981 story meeting transcripts.

Previously, Yoda was capable of using a Lightsaber and sparing with Obi-wan's ghost in Brackett's draft, but this was abandoned. In his rough draft for ROTJ, Yoda would appear as a ghost before Palpatine block his lightning blasts, but not for long. It was only when working on the PT, that Lucas decided to have Yoda be capable of fighting and going out there as we saw him do in the films and in TCW and the old EU.

7. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    That doesn't answer my question. Yoda could shove Vader.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    And Vader could shove right back, pinball him around from tree to tree and then kill him with a Lightsaber blow. Yoda was not intended to be a fighter when the OT was made.

Rickleo123 likes this.
  9. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Yoda was never the goodest.
    [​IMG]

10. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    And yet, he has offensive powers at his command.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack."

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    We proved Yoda was a Sith Lord in the Lit forum years ago.

13. Point_Of_View

May 23, 2017
    But Yoda and Ben are banking on making Luke a Jedi so that he can attack and kill Vader.

"I can't kill my own father."
    "...Then the Emperor has already won..."

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    But they didn't want Luke to kill Vader with direct Force attacks, because that way lies the Dark side. It wouldn't do them any good to get Luke to kill Vader and then take his place.

15. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    how did they want him to kill him then?

*this is not a sarcastic question. Genuinely curious.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    With a lightsaber.

In my headcanon, there is a critical distinction between being guided by the Force in battle vs using the Force to attack. Everything living eventually dies or at least moves on from the known universe (that is the way of things, the way of the Force), but to use the Force - which is created by life and makes it grow - to directly destroy life (as in Force lightning or choke) is to turn the Force against its own self, and the backlash of that is the Darkside corrupting and consuming its followers. Lightsiders, OTOH, are guided by the Force in defending themselves and in knowing where to strike in order to defeat the Dark without directly using the power of life to cause death.

That's not spelled out directly in the films, but to me it makes sense and doesn't contradict what we see on the screen.

BookExogorth and Lulu Mars like this.
  17. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    isn't that just semantics though?

He was still trained to go and kill him, whether or not that's with force push or a lightsaber, the result is the same.

18. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    wait. this was my impression of yoda from the OT but the PT completely destroyed it. yoda vs. dooku: EPIC. yoda vs. sidious: sort of epic.

is it really that they just had yoda do all those super fast moves and gymnastics around dooku because they were trying to manufacture one of those "that's so cool!" bad*** scenes.

i mean if yoda could stand up to dooku when 30 years younger and vader was about as strong as dooku in the OT, then it follows that...

19. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Someday, someone has to actually make this into a movie.

Nibelung and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  20. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Destroying Corrie was quite sick, but y'all got any better ideas?

21. Finland Skywalker

Finland Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 13, 2016
    His eyes do look yellow.

22. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    If you want to see the Death Star destroying the Imperial capital world, may I suggest a raid on the secret "experimental films" in the Lucasfilm vaults?

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Those offensive powers didn't exist in 1981. There was no Force push. No holding someone in place with the Force. Yoda could only lift up objects like an X-Wing. In battle against Vader, he would lose.

A Jedi is not supposed to go out and just kill. That's not what Luke is being trained to do. He's being trained to stop the Sith, but from a defensive standpoint and not an offensive one. But Luke is never told to kill his father and we see what happens when he tries in in the tree cave. He only truly succeeds when he doesn't kill him.

The point in the duels was that Lucas realized that Kasdan was right, Yoda should have been the type of Jedi who challenged the Sith. So we see Yoda fight Dooku and realize that he can beat Dooku, but he cannot be Palpatine who is far stronger than he is. This sets the stage for Luke and what he will do.

J7Luke likes this.
  24. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    then perhaps the line

"I can't kill my own father" should have been changed to ...well any other line then. And also Obi-Wan's flippant response to it too.

Seems clear cut to me.

Kenneth Morgan and Point_Of_View like this.
  25. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    This is the correct answer. It's only after the prequels that the OT Yoda looks rather foolish asking Luke to go face Vader alone and not join in on the fight himself. I'm sure if we had the OT now, Yoda would certainly join Luke in his final battle against the Emperor.

I rather preferred the OT Yoda, the wise teacher at the top of the mountain instead of the jumping jelly bean.

Sarge likes this.