main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

* * Evolution or Creation ( Keep it cool ) version 2.0 * *

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by SaberGiiett7, Sep 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Ok want to retry this?Guys try to keep it cool in here and don't get mad when the opposite theory presents a good point.So lets see how this one goes..........

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    From what I've seen, this debate is already going on in the Big Bang vs. Creation thread.

Any other thoughts on this?

3. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    We'll people were sort of mixing them together and people were blowing off their comments on BB vs Creation because of it.

4. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I believe in Evolution.

Firstly, I'm not religious. I can believe in higher powers and other mystical elements, but not the God as depicted within Christianity.

Secondly, IIRC, radio carbon dating and other means have determined that certain rocks, mountains, trees etc. are even older than when God supposedly created the Earth, so...

My 2 cents.

5. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    Natural events lead to disorder not uniformality.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Evolution is a proven scientific fact.

7. SifoYodaDyas

SifoYodaDyas Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2002
    Evolution. I prefer things that are readily explained by science. Not really keen on blind faith. A good read on Evolution:
    Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life. Daniel C. Dennett. 586 pp. Simon and Schuster, 1995

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Evolution is a proven scientific fact.

All you non-evolution belivers, accept the truth!

That kind of posting will get this thread closed.

9. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000

Given billions of years, anything can happen.

Life begins from such things as amoebas and microbes, some of which can be found on asteroids and moons within our solar system. Given enough time, these "seeds" can become organisms, which then become life-forms.

10. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    I could ague how these things such as singled celled organism's can come about from nothing but for more of that go to the BB vs Creation thread.

Wow it looks like i'm alone on this one.

11. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I heard that later in life Darwin became a christian and wished never thought of his theory :)

Let evolution explain this:

Poly strata trees. Fossolized trees that go throug hseveral of rock layers. So how exactly did tree's stand up for thousands/millions of years?

12. Lord_Darth_Bob

Lord_Darth_Bob Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 29, 2001
    SaberGiiett7...

You're fallaciously citing the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Entropy always increases in a closed system. The universe is a closed system. Life is a step up in complexity from organic compounds. However, there is always a greater increase in entropy somewhere else in the universe that is greater then the decrease somewhere else (such as terrestrial biological evolution), so the net increase of entropy in the closed system of the universe remains consistent and perfectly valid according the the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

13. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    Say what?!

Yes Darwin did renounce his theory on his death bed.

14. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    From the website answersingenesis.org

did darwin recant

"It therefore appears that Darwin did not recant, and it is a pity that to this day the Lady Hope story occasionally appears in tracts published and given out by well-meaning people."

15. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Another argument creationists shouldn't use from AIG "creationist" site:

?The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics began at the Fall?. This law says that the entropy (?disorder?) of the Universe increases over time, and some have thought that this was the result of the Curse. However, disorder isn't always harmful. An obvious example is digestion, breaking down large complex food molecules into their simple building blocks. Another is friction, which turns ordered mechanical energy into disordered heat?otherwise Adam and Eve would have slipped as they walked with God in Eden! A less obvious example to laymen might be the sun heating the Earth?to a physical chemist, heat transfer from a hot object to a cold one is the classic case of the Second Law in action. Also, breathing is based on another classic Second Law process, gas moving from a high pressure to low pressure. Finally, all beneficial processes in the world, including the development from embryo to adult, increase the overall disorder of the universe, showing that the Second Law is not inherently a curse.

Arguments we think creationists should NOT use

16. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    Funny thing about that link, my sister in all her good intentioned spreading of the word e-mailed me that story of the nasa scientists saying the sun would stand still. Next time she gives me something like that, i'll refer her to a site such as aig. She'd probably trust it more than something from an urban legends page.

17. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I believe in both creation and evolution.

By that I mean, I believe G-d created the world, life, elements, etc. But I believe in evolution because to me, G-d is behind evolution. To me, they are one and the same. G-d is the cause of evolution.

this is my belief. I guess because I am Jewish and many fellow Jews see it this way too. Not all, but most I have encountered.

Point is, when I read that G-d created the world in 7 days, I see it as 7 days to humans might not be the same for G-d. In other words, 7 days in G-d's terms is equal to millions and millions of years.

Make sense?

That's my belief. No one has to share it. But it's mine.

18. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Well Cy, as you know all atheists lie. Charles Darwin is supposedly an atheist according to a lot of creationists I've argued with. Even though he says in his own writings that he is agnostic and has never ruled out a god. Thus, that must mean agnostics lie.

That's my belief. No one has to share it. But it's mine.

Lots of Christian biologists like Kenneth R. Miller believe that as well.

Ken Miller's Evolution page

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Good for you son_of_the_tear, mixing science with religion.

Even though I myself have no religion, I like people with open-minds. :)

New_York_Jedi: I know a lot of Christians who believe in evolution. I think you're talking about trees that were buried in possibly a mudslide and stayed standing under the mud. Mud turns into rock after millions of years and the ground get's thiker because of mudslides and other forms of erosion. Hope that is a satisfactory explanation, and I don't see how your question applies to evolution. :confused:

20. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    But if we didn't lie, how else would we turn believers away from God and to our master, the prince of darkness? If you have a better idea, i'm all ears. (Hope i didn't blow your cover.)

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    "Well Cy, as you know all atheists lie."

I hope that was sarcasm. [face_plain]

22. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    I can bet it was 100% sarcastic. ;)

BTW, most everything i say is sarcastic as well. :p

23. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    If you have a better idea, i'm all ears. (Hope i didn't blow your cover.)

How about nude photos of myself posing with my Charles Darwin blowup doll?

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Okay!

(as you do not know, that was sarcasm ;) )

25. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    Oh boy, i don't know if the world is quite ready for that just yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.