main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EW review

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Soothsayer, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    I saw that someone has a review up at Entertainment Weekly. I was wondering if anyone has read it. I am afraid to cause of spoilers. So if anyone can give a quick lowdown on the review i would appreciate it.

2. ikilljedi187

ikilljedi187 Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2002
    I don't remember what is a spoiler and what isn't anymore so I'll skip those details but the review basically said: aotc SUCKED!

3. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Oh wow. That is the first review that i can think of that is negative towards it. OH well i will still make up my own mind in 8 days.

4. Bucky

Bucky Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2002
    Of course, I have never seen EW give any movie a good review. Even Spider-man was said to leave you wanting.

Bucky...out

5. R2-D2_Fan

R2-D2_Fan Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2002
    I have found myself disagreeing with this reviewer for a few years now. She is constantly rating movies lower than I. She gives AOTC a C+, and I usually add a full letter grade to her reviews to find where it may fall with me.

6. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Foxnews.com gave it bad review too. Only read a tiny bit as not too get corrupted. I will give it my own review in a week's time though.

7. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I only read the intro paragraph and the reader responses. From what I've gathered from that, she did not like AOTC very much, but the readers don't seem to like her or care for her reviews at all.

8. Darth Michigan

Darth Michigan Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 1999
    If I remember correctly, EW liked the Britney Spears flick. That shatters any credibilty with me. I remember them giving Ep1 an "F". I mean, come on. It had it's flaws, but an "F"???

9. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    There has been a huge range of reviews,which of course is to be expected, but it seems like for the most part they are all very positive. Much more positive than TPM, that's for sure. By the way, I read the EW review and there didn't seem to be any spoilers.

It definitely seems like most of the fan reviews I have read have been hugely positive, there have been some other non-fan reviews that were proclaiming Ep. II to be great. The criticisms I've seen have been varying, and I've even seen some people's proclaiming one part of the movie to be a weakness, while others call it a strength. I've heard mixed reviews of the love story, and I think that's to be expected, sometimes those things work for some people, and other people just shake their head and call it cheesy or poorly done. I think from the reviews I've seen so far, I'm going to like the film. I'm glad there are some negative reviews, to temper my expectations. If I go in expecting a perfect TESB and come out with something on the level of ROTJ, I will be disappointed. But at this point, I'm definitely jazzed at seeing something that is par with ROTJ.

10. waynehead

waynehead Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 1998
    I respect lisa schwarzbaum(sp?) (apparently not enough to know how to spell her name, but I digress) so I won't lie and say that her opinion means nothing to me...it doesn't. But as far as star wars goes, I'm a fan first, and as long as george lucas doesn't jar jar it up, I'm going to be happy. Hell, I was happy with TPM.

I don't think ANH or ESB are two of the greatest films of all time...speaking from a purely critical standpoint they have serious flaws. But I can tell you that I would rather watch ANH or ESB or even ROTJ or TPM a lot, lot, lot more than your "The Godfathers" and "Citizen Kanes" of the world.

11. JeTmAn19

JeTmAn19 Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2000
    This is only one opinion, so don't discredit Schwartzbaum automatically. I for one agreed with her review of LOTR; she loved it.

-JeTmAn

12. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Why was she so critical of GL? She's supposed to review the movie, not it's creator.

Ep1 did not deserve an F. It's not that bad. This critic obviously has something against big budget movies.

13. DeltaJedi

DeltaJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    Damn...and just as I was getting all excited that E2 might be "The Film"...

FYI, Entertainment Weekly gave TPM a "B-" if memory serves me correctly. And, I've been an avid reader of the magazine for quite some time, and I really am racking my brain to remember the last movie they panned that went on to be remembered as anything more then an 'enjoyable waste of time' kinda film...

I'm really afraid this is gonna be TPM all over again: fans and believers in one corner, critcs and detractors in the other.

Unexpected this is...

14. Darth_Xero

Darth_Xero Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    Hears the way I see it, all great movies must have some kind of negative reaction, there is no such thing as a perfectly reviewed movie.

I was heaing the "Howard Stern Show" and they all went to see it last night. Here's the run down for those who might be interested.

"AotC" reactions:

Howard: positive
    Robin: positive
    Artie: positive
    Fred: negative

Here are some other reviews from different movies so that you can compare.

"Spiderman" reactions:

Howard: positive
    Robin: negative
    Artie: positive
    Fred: positive

"TPM" reactions:

all negative

After "TPM" I can't believe that even Howard Stern liked AotC. This my friends, as crazy as it sounds, is a good sign. :p

15. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    I have said this on another thread, it is completely unrealistic to expect everyone to like a film. No film has ever been made that at least some people did not like.

For example many critics liked Gladiator, which also won the Oscar for Best Picture. A small vocal minority like myself and Roger Ebert did not like this film. For me this film was ruined by a terrible performance by Joaquin Phoenix as the lame villian Commodus along with one of the most anticlimatic endings I have ever seen.

No one should be bothered that some reviewers do not like AOTC. The important point is that the majority of reviews are favorable. Of course, just because many of the reviews are favorable does not mean that you will like this film.

16. Assassin

Assassin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    I read the review and my first question afterwards is "What Vulcan wrote this review?"

Could EW at least send someone with a pulse to see the movie? I like these critics who think epic battles and chases through asteroids are pointless wastes of time. Hmmmmm....I always thought they were EXTREMELY FREAKING ENTERTAINING and one of the reasons we watch movies to begin with.

17. Darth_Darren

Darth_Darren Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2002
    Don't worry too much about that critic. She also gave "Fight Club" a D, and that's one of my favorite movies. Not to mention she gave Brittney's movie a B, and "The Story of Us" and A. I mean, what the hell is that?

And as far as TPM is concerned, it was Owen Gleiberman from EW that gave TPM a C+. I remember (I have a subscription and remember incredibly stupid things like that.)

But don't worry about Lisa Schwarzbaum giving it a bad review, worry about all the other critics who are giving it bad reviews....

*sigh* here we go again....

18. Count_Draku

Count_Draku Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    I skimmed the review because she started summarizing the plot, but what she wrote outside of the plot were criticisms that stemmed from her own personal wants and desires for a Star Wars movie, and not necessarily things that were wrong with the movie. I saw how she missed Darth Vader and Han Solo, which is understandable. I miss them too. I think her point of view, however, is not mirrored by my own. If you don't actually care about how everything got started, if you don't want to watch entertaining action sequences, and if you can't let go of the original characters and accept the new ones, then you are probably going to be like her and not like Episodes I, II, and III. Well, maybe she'll like Episode III because Darth Vader might be in it.

19. pennywise

pennywise Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    Gosh, reading all these reviews is making me slightly nervous! Lisa Schwarzbaum should be ignored, she's just a weird critic and honestly I don't know how she got her job. From now on I'm ignoring all of the critic's opinions (good or bad) and just enjoy the movie and decide for myself.

On a side note, I'm so relieved that there's still some people out there who hates Gladiator, the scourge of all over-hyped bad movies.

20. Sabersparx

Sabersparx Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    It's a movie critic named Lisa guys.

Also if I remember correctly, The Phantom Menace and SW in GENERAL is hated by most females on the planet Earth. I'm sure if a GUY was the EW critic, it would have had a better review.

Girls shouldn't review films. I'm not trying to be a pig, but girls and movies do NOT mix. I mean its like a GUY trying to review an NSYNC video.

Its just not fair.

Don't get nervous or even SLIGHTLY worried that a girl gave Episode II a bad review.

Hell, I bet she didn't even know what was going on. Just chill out. Lucas made this film for the FANS, clearly. Clearly.

Not for critics. Especially FEMALE critics.

God bless...female movie critics...

Bleh.

I like girls and respect them but reviewing a Star Wars movie? Noooo no no no. Leave this one for the GUYS.

21. Sansaarai

Sansaarai Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2002
    Female bashing is not a good thing.

As for the movie review thats what it is, just a review. Go see AOTC. Form your own opinions. Enjoy it for what it is. Just a movie. Not a life affirming or breaking event. Go out have a good time. I'm sure you will like it.

22. Sabersparx

Sabersparx Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    But most of us have waited a lifetime for these films...to some of us they are more than just movies.

Respect that.

23. Sansaarai

Sansaarai Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2002
    I do respect that but by elevating the movies to a lifetime event you set yourself up for disapointment. THats what happened with TPM.

24. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    Some of the things she criticized were really not fair to criticize. That aside, some of the things that Star Wars fans posted below her review were disgraceful. She didn't get personal, but they did, and it's embarrassing.

Who cares what people think anyway?

25. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    Sabersparx, you are an very thin ice with that first post.

That is one of the most moronic and absurd things I have heard in a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.