main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EW review

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Soothsayer, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panzer M

Panzer M Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 1999
    Here's my thought on the whole review thing because now it gets to be kind of vexing to see such hatefully negative reviews. I looked up Lisa's Lord of the Rings review and sure enough see showered Lord of the Rings with praises awarding that movie an A. I think that's why I personally will not take her review seriously. If you want to follow the advice of reviwers it is best to stick to the ones that like movies that you generally like. For me Roger Ebert, the late Gene Siskel, Richard Roeper and Joel Siegel give reviews 8 out of 10 times that I can depend on and I want to read there reactions. Peter Travers of Rolling Stone for example does not appeal to my sesibilities in the least. In addition I still don't know why TPM was hated so much. There is so much to appreciate in that film. I actually think that some of the characters should have had more dialog in parts. Jar Jar only gets annoying if you let him. Even Obi-Wan considers him a 'pathetic lifeform.' There are classic, subtle moments in all the Star Wars films that make us go "Wow" or makes our jaws drop and that is what is so sacred to me. RotJ wasn't bad at all for me because at 11 years old Luke Skywalker was my favorite character and RotJ was my favorite. I couldn't wait for him to be on screen igniting his lightsaber or flying his x-wing. I did not like ESB as a kid because not many things went in my heroes'favor. Luke abandoning his training sticks out in my mind for one. In TPM I thought Jar Jar actually had two funny moments ('Steady, Steady' and my 'Tongue is Stuck') but many haters don't want to even give these movies their just deserts. Lucas is hated so much it seems at times simply because his story has been so successful and that is unfair. Reviewers purposely angle their articles pitting the Lucas Empire and his struggles for perfection. How many movies last year were 'perfect'? Or for any year that matter. I think some reviewers are just so jaded and cynical that they are upset that some people experience some joy from watching a Star Wars film over and over and deliberating over the tiniest of details. Don't get me wrong I don't think that George Lucas is a god walking the earth by any means but this is not my story to tell its his and if Lawrence Kasdan refused to work with him on this new trilogy because he believes George should see his vision done his way then I will go into the movie theater on opening day as open minded as I can possibly be. I would be disappointed however if Roger Ebert, Richard Roeper and Joel Siegel do not give the movie a positive review, but hey I liked Liar, Liar when they didn't. At the last go round Roger Ebert gave TPM a very positive review.

2. OneTruth

OneTruth Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    I like Ebert too, especially since he's one of the few critics who seem to understand Star Wars and what Lucas wants the movies to be like.

3. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    I love the title of this thread, I keep readint it as "Eww review"

:)

4. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    The EW review has been by far the worst i've read so far.....which is actually promising in a way. It's definitely an outlier.

I like Dave Matthews as well and they always pan his albums!! I guess you could say I hate EW!!!

5. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    eberts getting softer in his old age (in his reviews) roepers a pop culture monkey
    he didn't like jay and silent bob strike back because of all the "in jokes" he didn't like lord of the rings cause theres a ring in it, he didn't like metropolis because it looked like all the other anime's!!!!. but he loved spider-man and ebert didn't.

ebert had a whole special on star wars. he likes it for what it is, and alot of critics don't becaue it isn't like all the other movies of its genre.

6. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    I absolutely DESPISE EW. No magazine trashes the prequels more, and no magazine EXPLOITS them more. It's like someone inviting you over to their house for a BBQ just so they can knock the bowl of potato salad you brought out of your hands, watch it spill all over the floor and laugh at you.

My advice to all of you is to not buy that peice of crap the next time it has a SW cover or article or whatever.

And if you ask me this little negative buzz reeks of starwars-is-lame-cuz-jar jar-was-retarded attitude and George Lucas-is-a-greedy-idiot-toy-merchant cynicism. Lisa Schwarzbaum (or whatever) walked into the theatre to watch the next "two hour toy commercial" by "that idiot who directed the one with Jar Jar."

7. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    I thougt Ebert was getting soft also until he gave Spider Man thumbs down!!

I mean yeah it was a popcorn-flick but wow, I didn't see how anyone could think there was more bad than good in that film.

Funny thing is he gave TPM 3.5 stars. So far EVERY review says AoTC is better. Does that mean 4 stars?

8. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    EW reviews are a joke. I remember reading a review that they did in like Jan. of last year where they praised this one movie- giving it like a B+, and then when they reviewed it again for VHS (after all the other critics reviewed it and gave it bad reviews) and they gave it a D-....

They are stupid and biased... ignore what they and any other reviewers say. Make your own decisions on movies!

9. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    The one strange comment that was mentioned about the EW review (I have not read it since I am avoiding spoilers) was that AOTC lacked familar characters such as Darth Vader or Han Solo. However if George Lucas had followed this advise than this same critic would have complained that AOTC was just a rehash of the original films. In my opinion, this critic is displaying more than just a little but intellectual dishonesty and hypocrisy in her review of AOTC.

10. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    So, I guess the concensus is to throw this one out of the scoring.
    The movie review version of "OOOH, 3.5 from East German judge." ;)

Ignore this one and one of the "Best SW movie ever" reviews and call it even.

11. justin_sith

justin_sith Jedi Master star 1

Feb 17, 2001
    A pet hate of mine is people who go "eeeeew there is no character like han solo in it" and yet if there had been it would have been "eeeeeew its just a rehash of the original star wars" Lucas can't win.
    Just go see the film people if u like it u like it if u dont u dont.

12. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

This review can be disregarded folks. It is negative but there is no indication that she understood the film so it doesn't count.

( + she thought that TPM was about trade)

[face_plain]

13. noggins

noggins Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    The British newspaper reviews made me ponder a little. The Times and Independent didn't like it - but they're the kinda upmarket, "grown up" papers so I guess they feel they shouldn't be allowed to like it.

The Sun and The Mirror seemed to love it. Okay, I've always hated the Sun for its sheer tackiness but I actually trust the Mirror. Their review of TPM pretty much reflected what I thought of it so their AOTC one gives me hope :)

14. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    dangerous and disturbing this news is.
    EW gave TPM a B- when it first came out, so they're saying AOTC is worse!?? and if Fox News (which is owned by the film's distributor) won't give AOTC a good review, that's a bad sign.
    But maybe we should relax and assume the mainstream critics are out to get Lucas again.

15. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    First of all, don't expect everyone to like it, some people just don't like SW and that includes some critics.

Also, what some other person who doesn't like SW thinks is irrelevant. Will their opinion mean that Ep2 doesn't quite match Spidey's opening weekend? Perhaps...but perhaps not. Either way, who cares? GL will have more than enough money to make Episode 3 (hell, he probably does anyway) and as long as YOU like it, the opinions of others don't matter. Just because someone's opinion is on a website doesn't make it at all important, or even valid for that matter. What's important is that the fans have liked it, and that means we will probably like it too. We may find a new "Jar Jar" to complain about - no, some people WILL find one and will complain endlessly about it, even if the rest of the movie is fantastic - but in the end, I think the vast majority will like it.

Remember, nobody's opinion matters except your own. Everyone's biased to some degree, the only thing that is important is what you think of the movie.

16. justin_sith

justin_sith Jedi Master star 1

Feb 17, 2001
    From the look of things the "Love Story" is going to be the new jar jar. Seems to be what most critics are having ago at, and no doubt what all the bashers will jump on :( But hey i dont give a poo, its a new star wars film for me to watch :D

17. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    The British newspaper reviews made me ponder a little. The Times and Independent didn't like it - but they're the kinda upmarket, "grown up" papers so I guess they feel they shouldn't be allowed to like it.

The Sun and The Mirror seemed to love it. Okay, I've always hated the Sun for its sheer tackiness but I actually trust the Mirror. Their review of TPM pretty much reflected what I thought of it so their AOTC one gives me hope

Thats true, the Times and Independant seem to act like they are above Star Wars or something. Whereas your normal papers, Sun and Mirror loved it, from the sun:
    It is easily as good as The Empire Strikes Back and better than the original and Return Of The Jedi. I don?t even have to mention The Phantom Menace.

Mirror:
    From my seat at Skywalker Ranch, Lucasfilm's HQ near San Francisco, I can put George's mind at ease: this was one of the most incredible cinematic experiences of my life

I pay no attention to the upperclass broadsheets, they would have hated the film before they saw it.

18. pa5150

pa5150 Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2001
    Hey, now wait. Not all "upperclass" publications bashed TPM. Janet Maslin of the New York Times liked TPM, suggesting that it was "up to snuff" relative to the OT. I'd expect the NYT to have a positive review for AOTC as well.

19. Dune_Sea_Hermit

Dune_Sea_Hermit Jedi Master star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    Well, what a surprise: a SlimeAOHellWarnerNewLineCinecrap publication gives a negative review to a non-SlimeAOHellWarnerNewLineCinecrap film!

This is the same publication that produced "articles" on Potter and L/FOTR merchandise which were nothing more than indirect advertisements.

Didn't someone do a study showing that Ewwww tends to give more favorable reviews to SlimeAOHellWarnerNewLineCinecrap crap?

It's refreshing that Roger Ebert appreciates visual storytelling. This is a really difficult film style for many reviewers to understand.

20. JakeSpencer

JakeSpencer Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2002
    LOL at QuiGonJinn's potato salad comment!

21. waynehead

waynehead Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 1998
    To say that you can just "throw this opinion out" b/c she "clearly didn't understand the film" is just silly, and it's the same exact thing we went through with TPM. We wanted to love it so much that we couldn't believe that it could be bad, or even worse, average.

Some people are not going to like the movie. You may not like the movie. Y'all need to learn how to deal with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.