main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ewan IS Kenobi now. Sorry Sir Alec!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by sith_rising, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Had a recent debate about how Alec Guiness will always be Kenobi. But I feel that he'll always be Ben Kenobi, nobody can take that away from him. However, Ewan's performance in the PT was so well-done that, to me, he has become Obi-Wan Kenobi, so much that when I hear the word Kenobi now, I instantly think of Ewan's face. Anyone else agree?

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I have to say I disagree. I always seem to think of Ewan as a younger Alec Guiness, so my mind still goes back to the old man from the Original Trilogy.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Ewan redefined the character somewhat; before, Obi-Wan was basically just a teacher who showed up at pivotal scenes.

In the prequels, though, Obi-Wan is the man.

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    When I hear "Obi-Wan Kenobi", I think of Ewan. When I hear "Ben Kenobi", I think of Alec.

5. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Me too.

But Ewan does such a remarkable job of bringing you there. He allows you to be part of the moment, part of the emotion, part of the happiness or struggle...

He makes you care so much it hurts. THAT'S good acting.

6. TPF1138

TPF1138 Jedi Master

Mar 28, 2002
    I hadn't thought about it, but as its pointed out, I realise that it's Ewan I think of when I think Obi-Wan Kenobi. He brought this suave, James Bond cool to the role, making Obi-Wan the heroic Jedi Knight we always knew he was. He's still the teacher though, always the more level-headed in most situations, though not always the most patient. That would come though. Ewan's Obi-Wan is just more exciting I suppose.

But it has to be remembered that Ewan's performance is heavily informed by the wizened old Jedi that Alec Guinness created. Kenobi was always my favourite as a kid. The mystique the character held, the promise of a vast and enthralling history of adventure and excitement just always got me (Though I think I just liked the name to begin with). That was all Sir Alec, so I don't necessarily want to see him displaced, in fact I'd be quite disheartened if people were to fail to acknowledge how great he was, and how much he contributed to that character, and to Star Wars, just as much as I would be to see Ewan denied the kudos he deserves for his contributions.

But yes; you say Kenobi, I immediately go to McGregor. Make of that what you will.

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    This. I think it works well in keeping both actors at the helm of their respective excellent performances. It still feels weird though when Luke calls him Obi-Wan in ROTJ. It felt out of place in 1983 and now it does again... not in a bad way, just that Luke was looking at his old mentor in a new way. I think it works, but it still sounds weird.

8. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I'll always associate the Kenobi role with Sir Alec, mostly because he left such an indelible impression. (He was by far the best thing about ANH, apart from Williams's score.) Same thing with Vito Corleone: DeNiro was phenomenal, but he couldn't possibly have overshadowed Brando.

9. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Ewan did a fantastic job, but for me, whenever I head "Kenobi" it's Sir Alec who springs to mind. It's probably just that it's been etched on my mind that way since I was five and can't now be altered.

10. Ki-Adi-Mundi_fan

Ki-Adi-Mundi_fan Jedi Master star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    I still think of Sir Alec Guinness first when someone mentions Obi-Wan Kenobi. Then again, when Obi-Wan Kenobi is brought up in conversation, it is usually a conversation about a particular time in Star Wars, and if that time is during the prequels, I will picture Ewan. But the first image I get is Sir Alec.

11. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It does feel weird to have Luke call his master the more formal sounding "Obi-Wan" after hearing him refer to him as Ben for so long.

12. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Alec will always be Ben Kenobi, while Ewan will always be Obi-Wan. That's the way I see it.

13. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Indeed, even Ewan admitted he mimicked the venerated Sir Alec with his portrayal. According to WIKIPEDIA . . . McGregor took very special care (especially in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith) in his portrayal of Kenobi to ensure that Obi-Wan's mannerisms, speech timings, and accents closely resemble Obi-Wan's "Alec Guinness Self"

We see this progressing from method to visuals as the PT unfolds, with Ewan sporting a nice transition in ROTS, somewhere neatly between TPM and ANH.

Since future generations will view the saga from TPM through ROTJ, Sir Alec will be the Kenobi people take home with them as the final credits roll.

Lucas, in keeping Alec in the force ghost scene at the end or ROTJ, states with authority (and finality) that Alec is 'THE Kenobi, no matter what given name he is called by.

14. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Why can't they just both be Kenobi?

There's enough room for both of them [:D]

15. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Of course there's room for both of them. It's a great character, and both actors gave phenomenal performances...which can't be said of all the SW actors....:p

I was so pleased that Ewan actually tried to copy Sir Alec's character. And it shows; that's one part of the PT that I appreciate. But really, it was Guiness who invented the character and created the coolness that is Obi-wan.

16. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Especially in ROTS. His performance rivaled anything by Liam Neeson, Ian McDiarmid or Christopher Lee. He's truly a thespian!

17. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Yeah, you can tell Ewan did his homework. But it was Sir Alec who created Obi Wan, Ewan just got more screentime and more hair to work with.

18. DarthProf

DarthProf Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2008
    Yes, Ewan clearly did his homework. I recently watched ANH. In the scene where Ben feels Alderaan being destroyed through the Force, the body language and gestures Sir Alec makes are nearly exactly the same as the ones you see Ewan make on Padme's ship as they leave Mustafar in ROTS.

19. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I should think most people imagine Ewan when thinking about the PT and Alec when thinking about the OT. I mean it is like when talking about the PT you think of Hayden as Anakin and the OT, you think about VADER - the man - and of course on his death bed one thinks of the old man. But that one is a bit odd because I think of Hayden as the force ghost always, although I know a lot of people still imagine the original actor.

However, if I am talking in general about Obi-Wan Kenobi - like his character, etc., generally Ewan comes to mind, no matter what era I am thinking about. He had far more screen time and based on the script, a more memorable performance. Although I do think of Alec always as the force ghost... And I always imagine Anakin bent over cracking up once they leave Luke and gang behind at the fact that he is looking so young and kickin' while Obi-Wan has AGED. lol. But I then imagine Obi-Wan transforming into a young dude himself and with a wink declaring that he'd merely taken that form for Luke's sake. At that point they start waring over who is the better looking and my storyline fades out with Yoda rolling his eyes...

20. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    I hate this thread.

Both guys did a bang up job. Ewan had a tough assignment and the fact that no one had a beef with what he did speaks volumes, I mean volumes on how he played the role.

So you "see" Ewan when someone says "Kenobi"? Whoop-dee-doo.
    So you "envision" Guiness as Obi-Wan? La-dee-da.

Jeez.

21. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I liked them both.

22. DARTH-SMELLY-FEET

DARTH-SMELLY-FEET Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2007
    Saucer of milk table 2 :p

23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    This thread has almost inspired me to run out and create:

"Sebastian Shaw is the REAL ghost-Anakin. Sorry Hayden!"

24. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    ^^^
    Yesterday at the golf course, some dude said "Anakin Skywalker" and I immediately thought of Jake Lloyd fixing his Podracer.

Sorry Hayden - Jake trumped your performance ...

25. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Little Ani was called: "a funny little boy" when he macked-on Padme.
    Teen Ani was told 2 look the other way: "Don't look at me like that, it makes me uncomfy."

You might be onto something Biggy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.