main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ewan IS Kenobi now. Sorry Sir Alec!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by sith_rising, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarrior77

StarWarrior77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2008
    When I think of Obi-Wan I do think of Ewan's portrayal but that's because he has more screen time as Obi-Wan. I like both Ewan and Sir Alec.

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I just thought of why Alec > Ewan:

Guinness is such a great actor that he makes you forget that almost everything he says in RotJ is a load of crap. From the lame "Leia, that girl you frenched in the last movie and left home to rescue because she looked hot in a hologram two movies ago, is your sister" plot twist to "I didn't LIE to you. I just told you something that I knew to be factually inaccurate but which sort of works as a metaphor for what happened on a spiritual level. See, it's that metaphor part that makes it not a lie," almost everything that comes out of Kenobi's mouth in RotJ is a bunch of nonsense. But because Guinness is so great, you end up either not noticing or just saying "That's ridiculous, but you know what? I'll go with it."

Granted, Ewan had three whole scripts full of steaming piles of nonsense, and he DID do a better job of making them seem not-so-crazy than did most of his costars, but his performances are full of clunkers that I'm sure Guinness could have made sound halfway reasonable.

Hell, Guinness was so good he could probably have even made "younglings" work...

3. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    If ROTJ came out this summer, you'd tear it apart.

4. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Nah.

I'd probably look at it like the third X-Men movie which, despite some disappointing plot developments, ultimately works for me. I enjoy it; its a satisfying conclusion to the story, and in a few ways even a little more fun than its predecessors, if not overall reaching the established level of quality and presenting the grand success I might have hoped for.

5. Darth-Johnny-Cash

Darth-Johnny-Cash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2009
    I think of em both. Before the PT came out I always wondered what Obi Wan was like when he was younger and now we know.

I prefer Sir Alec's Obi Wan, he's in half of the first one and pops up in the next 2 for only a few mins yet he managed to create one of the greatest characters in cinema history which is amazing given the amount of screen time he had.

It just goes to show how good he was at his craft.

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Yes. Exactly. :D

7. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Just like the Nicholson/Ledger comparisons, I don't see how this makes any sense. The actors are playing the character in two different times. Alec's performance need not be questioned. His performance has already gone down in history. He's Obi Wan Kenobi- How can that change all of a sudden after standing for more than 20 years? Now if the question is, who do I think of when I hear the name, I have to say Alec. The name starts with Alec Guiness and theres really know way to not associate it with him. Ewan McGregor is playing a young version of Obi Wan Kenobi which IS Alec Guiness. And he does an incredoble job. McGregor carries the films on his back after Liam Neeson is gone. He is the most interesting and lovable character in the movies. He is the star of the show and at no time does he faulter in being a hero- although he looked a little too excited about slaughtering the Ackley, but he is the only reason worth attending the prequels. So, Ewan is incredible as ObiWan and as the actor that makes the films watchable in the last 2 thirds. He does his job where hes supposed to do it. We dont even have to bring up Alec. His place is semented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.