main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Ewan McGregor in episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 19, 2015.

1. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Ewan, although aging impeccably well, can look like Sir Alec with the right make up and small effects. Yes the ST is an off-branch of the OT, so it should keep with it's running theme and characters, but if you were to watch the OT alone you would wonder who Anakin actually was, so it doesn't really need to make complete sense.

Ewan's Obi Wan could appear only to Rey and it would make alittle more sense. Like another poster said, maybe the view of the force ghost is actually in the eye of the beholder, so of course Luke would see Sir Alec's Obi Wan, it's how he knew him personally. If Rey were to receive a force ghost vision, maybe Ewan's Obi Wan could appear because it would be how she could possibly see footage of him (old Clone War holo's) or how Obi prefers to project himself. Who knows.

Either way, I'm always up for some Ewan. Loved him before SW, will always love him after. Could they even legally use Sir Alec? He's been gone for ages, and I'm sure they only had him sign for the 3 films at the time. His estate may be able to prevent it from happening, if they choose to.

oncafar likes this.
  2. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    They have to be particulary careful with the ghosts background. Why they didnt or how they intervine in the past. Why they didnt warn luke? Why didnt anakin reason with Ben Solo? , etc.....you cant just drop obis ghost without answering this questions.

Its a risky territory. Perhaps the best is to just state that you can only come back for a short time before being to far gone

3. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    That would definitely be the biggest obstacle. For Tarkin in R1, they needed to get permission from Peter Cushing's estate, which they got. But seeing as Alec didn't seem too fond of Star Wars, despite his involvement in it, I don't really know if his relatives would want his likeness to be used in a new SW Film.

4. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    I don't think there is any question they'd use Ewan in makeup to do a Force Ghost Obi-Wan. It's the easiest path for them...AND Ewan is the most recognizable Obi-Wan for an entire generation and more of people.

5. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Even in comparison just looking at your avatar Lord Nikon, picture Ewan in that picture with white hair (someone better at photoshop than me could probably do it in two seconds) and he looks almost identical. Of course a few wrinkles would be needed, as I said earlier Ewan has aged flawlessly, but it's amazing how much he could pass for Sir Alec.

6. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    I'm sure some of you guys must have come across some of the early drafts from Lucas on the ending of Return of the Jedi. I am fairly confident that at some point, a FLESH AND BLOOD Obi-wan Kenobi and Yoda came back from the force and helped Luke defeat the Emperor in an epic showdown. And that somehow Yoda saved Anakin from the netherwords of the force and that is why he was able to retain his identity at the end.

I haven't seen this mentioned, I'd start a thread on it but seems like mods are strict on catagories and so it must be posted here. If anyone has the link to that original script I think the ending is worth a read. It could solve the problem, if Obi-wan comes back to life in the flesh he could be whatever age he wanted. Maybe in this version he brings back Anakin with him to fight Snoke.

I'm all for a Ewan appearance but it does seem weird no matter how you slice it to not have him look like Alec if he is appearing to Luke. It will be a bit jarring and will take us out of the moment, like with CGI Tarkin or Leia.

I like the idea of a "Field of Dreams" explanation, like somehow Obi-wan can reenter the world of flesh and blood but then he can never go back to the ghost state and has to leave and disappear into the force like any other mortal when he dies again.

7. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I don't think it would be odd if he was Ewan and they just aged him up. most people would be like ohhhh okay obi right got it yay ewans back! instead of yay look how rude Alec was to fans and how much he hated Star Wars I would be personally pissed if they used him.

8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    McGregor was supposed to appear on GMTV this morning to promote Trainspotting 2. I bet they would have asked him about The Last Jedi. Sadly the poor soul was so traumatised by Piers Morgan's views on the Women's Marches he flounced off before his slot.

Ah Bless...

9. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    reasons why I love him

10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Agreed, he's flawless. I'm super excited for Trainspotting 2 also, Kenobi to Renton...to hopefully Kenobi again.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  11. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015

I need to rewatch trainspotting again before it comes out I forgot most of it, but its amazing to me that its the same person, Ewan is a great actor.

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Plus I don't think it would be right to use his likeness without his permission (Cushing enjoyed Star Wars unlike Sir Alec). Sir Alec would certainly not give his permission if he were still with us I think.

Ewan in some form is the right choice.

13. Sable de luz

Dec 18, 2015
    Something tells me he is the most likely to come back as a force ghost

14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I think Yoda is more likely, considering Frank Oz was confirmed to have visited the set :p

I say the more the merrier though!

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Piers Morgan is a self opinionated ********, well done Ewan =D=

I hear Morgan has called Ewan for snubbing him....well Morgan you are a man with one fan (yourself) against a man who is loved and respected by millions.

16. Sable de luz

Dec 18, 2015
    but why would they need frank oz to do a cgi yoda?
    he could had recorded the lines from his home...

17. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Because they want the puppet

18. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    You mean as more than just a voice? Yes, I think so too. Especially in TLJ, since it's supposed to be so much about the Force.

19. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    Unless, of course, Rian Johnson wanted the puppet instead of using CGI. This way the actors have something to work with, instead of looking at green screen. I think they are going to use the puppet for most, if not, all the shots for Yoda.

I'm sure they shot using the puppet, but if the shots didn't work for whatever reason, they'll use CGI to correct it. Frank Oz was there to basically read lines to the actors, so that they can communicate and react with correct timing.

20. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    They could come back in corporeal non-ghost form on Ahch-to if the planet is special that way. Just there and nowhere else. But likely the puppet was there to help actors look in the right direction.

21. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I just want them to get Ewan to make a Kenobi "A Star Wars Story" film, like, now.

22. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Based on his new interview it sounds like he definitely won't be back as a ghost for TLJ.

23. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  24. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  25. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    Harbour and starocean90 like this.