main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ewan McGregor is really starting to annoy me

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by jedi979, May 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    As good a job as Ewan has done playing Obi-Wan, I'm beginning to wish Lucas had gotten someone else to play the part. Someone who would happily pocket his multi-million dollar paycheck and treat the whole Star Wars saga and his part in it with at least a modicum of respect and appreciation.

Honestly it isn't very fair to say that someone else should replace Ewan just because he doesn't exactly enjoy the filming process - his opinion on the whole situation really doesn't effect his acting or what he brings to the character. They're two different things. It's like disliking a whole group of people for what their government does...

2. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Christopher Lee says that bluescreen was just like doing a play.

Ian McKellen said that it didn't matter in film if there was bluescreen or not, because you were already surrounded by things that didn't make the set 'real' -- cameras, crewmen, lights etc.

I recall Ian McDiarmid saying something similar to that as well. I think he mentioned something about doing closeups, when the camera shows the clearest expression, but to get the shot, you're not interacting with the other actor. You may hear them, but since the camera and stuff is in front of you, you might as well be talking to a screen.

I guess, from that, some actors can act no matter what they're situation is and other actors need something to interact with. So if there's going to be a flying monkey in the shot, they need someone to throw a stuffed monkey so they have a reference point.

But whats funny is that after all of Ewans issues with bluescreen after TPM, George had him do those Kamino scenes. I cant wait to see what he puts Ewan through in the next one. Maybe Ewan will get better at it that way or more comfortable with it.

Isurus

3. Sourdust

Sourdust Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2003
    That's TWO Obi-Wan's now who don't like making the Star Wars movies....

4. Chewbacca of Kashyyyk

Chewbacca of Kashyyyk Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 1999
    "I was backstage signing autographs when this guy starts yelling, 'Hey, Obi-Wan!' I tried to ignore him but he kept on shouting so I finally said, 'What do you want?' He said, 'Do you have any advice for a Jedi in training?' and I said, 'Yeah, **** off!'"

This is not professional.
    This is not respectful of GL!
    This is not respectful to the fans!
    And think about Ewan McGrinchor would have said to that poor Star wars kid from Canada.

Not professional at all!! CoK expects more from a professional of his caliber.

5. Turkilma

Turkilma Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
    Chewie, have you been that yelling guy ?

Don´t take it personally !!!

6. Chewbacca of Kashyyyk

Nov 17, 1999
    wooks tend to get dramatic....but they are usually right

7. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    The 'yelling guy' was not a kid. He was old enough to know better than give a celebrity B.S.

Rick mcCallum loves you!

8. Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    Enough about "Star Wars Kid". If that kid is so dumb that he can't even enjoy his new-found cult status, then he deserves to be made fun of. Mommy's answering the phone. Guess what? He IS a loser.

Ewan has also made comments re: the title of the movie "Attack of the Clones." But who CARES. Better to have an opinion than none whatsoever.

9. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    That's TWO Obi-Wan's now who don't like making the Star Wars movies....

It seems George knows what qualities his characters have. And the actors that fill those shoes serve the character best when they are similar in mentality. Ewan and Sir Alec are ObiWan. Maybe George could write a scene where Owen or someone asks Obi Wan about the Jedi ways.

Owen:So..how does that saber thing work, anyways?

Obi-Wan: Look, I'm proud to be Jedi but please, oh please, dont disturb me or ask me silly questions that you could not possibly understand the answer to.

Owen: oh...ok, I didn't think it would be such a big deal but if you cant explain it...

Obi-Wan: It's not that, it's just I dont like answering silly questions about things you shouldn't be concerned of.

Owen: Oh..thanks for making that decision for me, Jedi. **rolls eyes, smirking**

Then some time passes and Obi-Wan notices Owen is working on his swoop bike and not paying much attention to him.

Obi-Wan: Say...did I tell you I'm in the running to be on the Jedi Council soon? Right after I finish training Anakin, that is .**thinks to himself..""By the Force, aren't I wonderful? Yes...Yes I am." **

I'd imagine Ewan could at least make that scene believable.

Isurus

10. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    "This is not professional.
    This is not respectful of GL!
    This is not respectful to the fans!"

Taking it too seriously, much? And the third person bit is tiresome. But if you are looking to be openly mocked, then stick with it.

If a fan can't be bothered to learn his real name, then Ewan shouldn't bother with niceties. That fan clearly didn't. Most of us would have the courtesy to avoid calling him 'Obi-Wan,' and those who do are treated with equal respect by Ewan. Hell, he stops to chat with little kids, he obviously doesn't stonewall every SW fan.

It might ever be disrespectful to GL, I bet GL would laugh if he heard the story.

Come on, this is the same actor that flicked off the spy camera during filming of AOTC. That is who he is. I infinitely prefer this to him becoming 'hollywood' and kissing everyone's ***.

11. jedi979

jedi979 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    I think it's the incongruity between the persona of Obi-Wan Kenobi and that of Ewan McGregor that makes his comments seem worse than they actually are. I mean, here you have a guy playing a character (Obi-Wan Kenobi) who's basically a saint, who's made mistakes but to be sure but is always polite, well-intentioned, and respectful. Then we have the guy who plays him (Ewan McGregor) who, in real life, is basically the antithesis of that. Not to say that Ewan is not a nice person (at least to those who refrain from asking him advice on Jedi training methods), but he certainly does not come across as anywhere near the serene Jedi knight he portrays. I guess that, despite knowing better, we expect a little of Obi-Wan to come across in Ewan's manner - and when it doesn't, we have the nerve to act surprised.

12. Chewbacca of Kashyyyk

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah,
    GAY len konobi.

CoK is looking to be openly mocked. Can you lend CoK your experience Gay Len.

Take your time, as CoK is a bit tired

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    wow, thanks for contributing to the discussion.

14. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    On the subject of 'openly mocked' --

If you're going to continue using the third person bit in an attempt to sound cool, you'd better be an evil world leader, or I will be VERY disappointed.

Although I think an evil world leader would be smart enough to not resort to pointing out a syllable in someone else's user name that is spelled the same as a term for homosexual, then turning into a joke to imply that homosexuality is an insult.

Getting back to Ewan --

I hope that if YOU were to ever meet Ewan McGregor, you would treat him with respect, and I think he would treat you with respect in return. You do not get far in the acting business, which is based in professionalism, unless you yourself behave professionally. (Unless you're Mickey Rourke.)

I have yet to hear of one case of GL complaining that Ewan wasn't acting the way he was supposed to. Heck, I bet GL sympathizes.

Rick McCallum loves you!

15. Jolt-Cola

Jolt-Cola Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 27, 2002
    Someone said something about Ewan bashing the name of Episode 2. Well, what's the problem here? I too, was very surprised when I heard the name, not because it was so good, but because it is the worst title for a movie I have _ever_ heard. The name sucks. It sucked when they announced it, it still sucks, and it will always suck.

At least Attack of the Killer Tomatoes did it all with pure irony. GL just takes his **** way too seriously.

16. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I love Ewan's sense of humour, and the fact he doesn't suck up to people.

If he doesn't like blue-screen work, then he doesn't, and he'll say it. He's also said how much he enjoys being in Star Wars films as well, with his usual candor.

He's done a great job with Obi-Wan, especially in AOTC, and long may he continue to berate people that tell him ludicrous stuff.

"Use the Force, Ewan!"
    "**** off!"

He's not Obi-Wan in real life, some fans need to remember this...

17. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    I enjoy the irony of someone who calls themselves CoK is mocking someone else's user name. It's also entertaining that mocking my name is the best thing you could come up with. Oh so clever.

On topic: I think thats a good point. Some people don't grasp that an actor isn't going to be exactly like their character. Other's seem to think that actors should be performing for their fans all the time, meaning they are obligated to keep make the fans happy that approach them on the street. And then they are insulted when the actor doesn't want to sign autographs, pose for pics, or generally be hasseled when they are trying to take their kids to the park, etc.

18. First_Stage_Lensman

First_Stage_Lensman Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2003
    I wouldn't want to be an actor in a GL movie or have to deal with wierd fans. Not like he's getting rich off this either.

Ewan gives 100% to the movies and supports them when they come out so he's cool in my book. But like HF I don't watch him in anything else. If he did Shakespeare or something like that I would but stuff like 'Down With Love' and 'Moulin Rouge' ain't my thing.

19. Chewbacca of Kashyyyk

Nov 17, 1999
    CoK agrees with the irony point. Never looked at that angle, and CoK will never look at the acronym the same way...interesting you should bring that up....ironic, very funny!!!

CoK

20. BossNassesHeyblibber

BossNassesHeyblibber Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2003
    That's disgusting.

21. magneto

magneto Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Ewans cool

22. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I`ve hated Ewan from the start,he can't be an Alec Guiness,and that is what I wanted. GL only casted the PT with only stars. I wouldn't care if they replaced him

23. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I`ve hated Ewan from the start,he can't be an Alec Guiness,and that is what I wanted. GL only casted the PT with only stars. I wouldn't care if they replaced him

Who would you suggest should play Obi-Wan? There aren't many actors who can manage to do an impression of Alec like Ewan can.

And I would hardly call Ewan a star before he was casted and filmed TPM, as he had only been in a few small films that hadn't gotten him to "huge star" status yet, unlike how he is today.

24. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    He's not in Star Wars because he's a celebrity. He's a celebrity because he's in Star Wars. And some Star Wars fans need to follow William Shatner's advice and "get a life."

25. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    Gosh you guys, you really are hard to please. Some of you, but not all, will find every little thing to pick at including Ewan MacGregor's innocent comments on making a SW film.

So what if he finds it difficult. We're not actors - we don't know. How can any of us judge the ease or difficulty of acting in front of/with/behind/all around a blue screen.

At least he can act - which is more than I can say for Portman.

And if what he is "sarcastically" saying is true - that he is indeed tired of making these "type" of films - I have one question:

Can you blame him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.