1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST vs. Anthology (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST/Anthology bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Kenobi Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi) in Kenobi Film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Anthology - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk, Aug 17, 2017.

1. JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I know I have single handedly derailed this thread twice . I'll stop there . Thanks for not banning me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. HaloWithStyle Jedi Knight

star 2
    maybe Liam Neeson could play obiwan if Ewan doesn't want to.
  3. G-FETT Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    That's kind of like what I've always imagined an Ob-Wan movie would be like... And I also think it's possible you could do more than one movie of Obi-Wan's adventures between ROTS and ANH.

Also, when he tells Luke [about the Cantina] that "the best space pilots are to be found here but watch your step this place can be a little rough" I've always assumed he has first hand experience of the Cantina and at some point he did leave Tatooine (with a "space pilot") to go on a "mission" or adventure of some description....
    Last edited by G-FETT, Aug 22, 2017
  4. Strongbow Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I know why they switched gears to Rebels, and I do love Rebels, but man... I wish we could have seen all that. TCW was really excellent, especially in the later seasons... putting aside the odd decision to ressurect Maul.
    my kind of scum likes this.
  5. DARTH_BELO Jedi Grand Master

star 4

This right here. He would not legitimately know anything about what kind of pilots they could find there, unless he himself sought one out at one point. And why ever would he have needed a space pilot I wonder???????
    Last edited by DARTH_BELO, Aug 23, 2017
  6. Rodie Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe this film starts with a flashback to just prior to ROTS, a short action sequence with Obi-Wan and Anakin as best buds on a mission and we see a brief glimpse of that and Hayden back as Anakin.

Then Obi-wan hears Qui-Gon's voice and snaps out of that vision as he's trying to meditate, and we see that he's alone on the desert planet and older. . .

Later in the film they could flash back to Obi-Wan's arrival on Tatooine with Luke, and also give us a real scene with Qui-Gon's spirit speaking with Obi-Wan.
    Last edited by Rodie, Aug 23, 2017
  7. Avnar Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    To visit Yoda on Dagobah for christmas! :yoda:
    DARTH_BELO likes this.
  8. Black Star Gunner Jedi Knight

star 1
    The silence is killing me! Ewan, just post a super subtle hint on social media so we can breathe normally again.
  9. Avnar Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Michael Fassbender please! [face_praying]
  10. TheManFromMortis Jedi Knight

star 3
    _ _ _ _

Whilst it is, I believe, no longer canon, I hope a post RoTS/pre-ANH Obi Wan film will take some cues re: Obi Wan's feelings about Anakin/Vader from James Luceno's "Star Wars: Dark Lord - The Rise of Darth Vader." I loved the way the novel revealed to a desperately surprised Obi Wan that Vader/Anakin was still alive after their duel on Mustafar. Some people have mentioned that Kenneth Branagh could play an older Obi Wan. He is a great actor and there's no doubt he could play the character well but for me, honestly, this film is a no-go without Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan.
    DARTH_BELO likes this.
  11. mattman8907 Jedi Master

star 4
    i want them to expand on Vader's "Obi-Wan once thought as you do" line to Luke in ROTJ.
  12. Lord-Skywalker Jedi Master

star 1
    Obi-Wan can tell Vader he has a son, a last ditch attempt to persuade him to turn back to the light. Feeling conflicted he tells his old master, "Please give him my lightsaber, you know, the one you picked up on Mustafar, after you sliced off my arm and legs"
  13. AndyLGR Jedi Master

star 4
    As Obi Wan? If so why when Ewan is perfect?
    SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  14. Darth Downunder Chosen One

star 6
    He means as a Tusken Raider chieftain.
  15. TCF-1138 Porg of New Films & Fan Films

Manager
    star 5
    Michael Fassbender as A'Sharad Hett? [face_thinking]

OK, maybe not. :p
  16. Darth Downunder Chosen One

star 6
    Darth Krayt! Like it.
    DarthRosie and TCF-1138 like this.
  17. SpecForce Trooper Jedi Knight

star 4
    Michael Fassbender would make a perfect Soontir Fel in my mind.
  18. Tristan the Trilobite Jedi Youngling

A Ben "Obi Wan" Kenobi movie set after RotJ sounds like a baaad idea, but I have a good feeling about this!

Scenes for this start automatically writing themselves in my head. In the end, going with Hitchcock, to get a good movie you need three things: a good script, a good script and a good script. Notwithstanding that, getting McGregor to take on his iconic role again would be a great asset.

Apart from the obvious fan service scenes on Tatooine and some plot point explanations (e.g., Ben realizing Anakin is not really dead), this should probably be a kind of a very separate, stand alone and more grounded adventure story without the usual suspects, innit? :obiwan::qui::luke::vader: :emperor::storm:
    Valairy Scot likes this.
  19. Emperor Ferus Jedi Knight

star 4
    Well, the Ewan McGregor announcement doesn't seem to have happened, though that doesn't mean much. I personally want him back purely out of sentiment, but I would prefer a younger actor to portray Obi Wan if the movie takes place before ROTS, however annoying that would be. I admit that the III-IV era seems to be limited in its expansion capabilities, but there is still room for Obi Wan to leave Tatooine if only briefly, like in Last of the Jedi. I'm not saying I want it solely based on that series (though that would be awesome, hence my username), but some adventure like that would be cool to see Obi Wan in, with McGregor in the role.
  20. GregMcP Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    It's just too early.
    We aren't supposed to know about this movie yet.
    Not official announcements by anyone about anything yet.
  21. DARTH_BELO Jedi Grand Master

star 4

Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader was a great book. I also enjoyed how they portrayed Obi-Wan's early days on Tattooine. I have always wanted to see something like that in a film. If they do a Kenobi spinoff, I very much hope it takes place just after the events of ROTS, up to five years at the most. We have so much stuff that covers the few years leading up to ANH, let's see the beginning of the Empire's rise and the first solid evidence of a rebel alliance being formed!
    Vasco_Rojo and TheManFromMortis like this.
  22. GregMcP Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Would you accept a CGI Alec Guinness at the end of the movie, as a way of showing the passage of time, and the transition into New Hope? "Years later..."

Or has that be done now, at it's a groan worthy "Oh this again".
    Last edited by GregMcP, Sep 11, 2017
  23. Darth Chiznuk Superninja of New Films - On Vacation

Manager
    star 6
    The perfect ending to the film IMO was already done in Rebels unfortunately. Old Ben looking into the distance at the homestead as Beru calls Luke's name.

Of course I'm sure they'll come up with a perfectly fine ending. It may even be better.
    Last edited by Darth Chiznuk, Sep 11, 2017
  24. TheManFromMortis Jedi Knight

star 3
    _ _ _ _

I'd like to see some similar scenes from Obi-Wan's early days on Tattooine as described in Dark Lord"The Rise of Darth Vader", but then maybe switch to something set a bit later, give Ewan a decent makeover to make him look a bit older. With regard to the the first solid evidence of the formation of the Rebel Alliance, I think that has been - and will be - left to Rebels in the final season. Having said that, maybe we might glimpse something of it in the Han Solo anthology film. I've enjoyed Rebels more than I expected over the last three seasons. It was good to have the Obi-Wan cameo toward the end of season three. Still, it's clear from a snippet of dialogue between Mon Mothma and Bail Organa in Rogue One that Kenobi's location is known to at least one (Organa) very shortly before the events of ANH.
  25. TheManFromMortis Jedi Knight

star 3
    _ _ _ _

Whilst others might disagree, I thought the digital recreation of Tarkin was great. Of course, we knew he would be in the film, but I'd suspected it would be a very brief appearance. I hadn't expected him to play such a prominent role with so much dialogue. I was quite blown away with the work they did on Tarkin. Perversely, I found the digital recreation of ANH-era Carrie Fisher/Leia really, really unconvincing. That's odd because, ultimately, we only saw her face in one very brief scene right at the end. I can't quite understand how they, in my opinion, got Tarkin so right as a major player in the film but managed to get Leia so uncomfortably wrong in one scene.

So, forgot to address your CGI Alec Guinness question there. I think I'd prefer to have the film set just far enough before ANH that we could have Ewan McGregor play a convincingly older Obi-Wan without everybody wondering how Obi-Wan managed to age so very much by the time of ANH. Still, as other have said, I think the end of an Obi-Wan film has really already been done twice: Obi-Wan delivering baby Luke to Owen and Beru at the end of RoTS and Obi-Wan observing a young Luke from afar at the end of that episode from Rebels after defeating Maul.
    Last edited by TheManFromMortis, Sep 11, 2017
    ZY-Fighter and Gigoran Monk like this.