1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Enter the Episode IX Treatment Contest! Details here!

3. A Rule For Everyone To See:

The New Films staff strive to create a fun and welcoming environment for all users. This forum is a place for discussing the films, which means that you think the films are worth discussing. Constructive criticism (as deemed by the moderating staff) is welcome and encouraged. Bashing of any kind will not be tolerated anywhere outside The Sanctuary thread. See the new rules thread here. Bans can and will be handed out to anyone who doesn't abide by the forum rules.

Kenobi Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi) in Kenobi Film

Discussion in 'Beyond the Saga - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Aug 17, 2017.

1. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Depending on the story the want to tell this film will be amazing; McGregor as Obi-Wan set a decade before A New Hope would allow us to watch exactly how he learned from Yoda how to communicate with Qui-Gon and how he shaped a certain farmboy's wishes to leave Tatoonie; add in the rise of the Empire and allow mcGregor to journey in his study and teachings of the Force and this film could be amazing
    DARTH_BELO and ZY-Fighter like this.
  2. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    That's a typo, right? Unless you meant to type Jedi, in which case I agree: I can't imagine a Force Ghost carrying an entire feature-length blockbuster movie!
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  3. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2002
    Ewan starring in Disney's untitled Christopher Robin film slated for Aug 3, 2018. Too bad that is not code for what we are all eagerly anticipating.
  4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Haven't you seen Casper???
    ZY-Fighter likes this.
  5. GregMcP

GregMcP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    You know Obi's death was a staged hoax, of course.
    Anakin had long ago reconciled with Kenobi, but they both had their Roles that they were expected to carry out...

So Obi Wan "disappeared". A simple magicians trick, aided by a bit of Force Running.

... and Force Ghosts are holograms. Of course they are.

Edit: Now that I've typed this nonsense, I think it would be a nice twisted movie plot. I think it could work. It would drive hardcore canon folk crazy, but that's a good thing.
    Mostly Handless and B3 like this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Force Ghost star 8

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe it is...
  7. Tristan the Trilobite

Tristan the Trilobite Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2017

lol, a typo indeed, I meant Sith. The Force Ghosts movie sounds weirdly intriguing though.
    ZY-Fighter likes this.
  8. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2003
  9. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Malleus Maleficarum star 8 Staff Member Manager

Aug 19, 2003
    Ermegerd, yes please!
    Mostly Handless and Gigoran Monk like this.
  11. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    70% Sir Alex, 30% Ewan.
  12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I'd like it a bit more Ewan to start and at end at this point (Like the original statute also shown.)

Agreed on the costume! That is fantastic. Definitely says "the Jundland Wastes are not to be travelled lightly."
    Mostly Handless, Gigoran Monk and B3 like this.
  13. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Of course the truth is that Ben and Obi-wan were brothers.
  14. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    They just need to get him to tuck in the arms...

15. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Entertainment journalists out there. Do us a favor and ask Ewan MGregor about this thing.
    J7Luke, Mostly Handless and TadoFett like this.
  16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Porg of New Films & Fan Films star 5 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It's not like he would be able to give an answer though.
  17. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Yes, but non-answers are often just as revealing as answers.
    J7Luke and Mostly Handless like this.
  18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes, like Frank Oz's indirect confirmation that Yoda is in TLJ.
  19. Rogue Seven

Rogue Seven Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Honestly. I've said for YEARS that they merely need to make a Kenobi film be a space western version of Yojimbo. It would be....perfection.
  20. 11-4D

11-4D Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2015
    But his reaction will give us a clue to his intentions.

DARTH_BELO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2003
    I believe I've said it on here already before, but I'd love to see a Kenobi movie. There's definitely a compelling story I'm sure they could come up with, but there's also so much more that could be put in there. What I'd really hope to see is three main things:

1. Obi-Wan learning to commune with Qui-Gon and all the stuff about force ghosts etc. It would really fill in that gap, making the (too) brief bit of Yoda's dialogue about this in ROTS much less out of place, and rather make much more sense as to why it wasn't fleshed out there. Great cameo opportunities for Qui-Gon and Yoda!

2. The film taking place early on in the days of the Empire-like just a matter of two or three years after ROTS. I'd love to see how all that transition plays out in the galaxy, different looking imperial vehicles, just the very first inklings of the Rebel Alliance, etc.

3. More conversations between Obi-Wan and the Lars'. This might be less likely, but it would be interesting to see how Obi-Wan interacts with Owen, and perhaps some sort of falling out between them-while Luke is just a toddler. This would connect nicely with the way Owen talks about him in ANH: "that wizard's just a crazy old man..." "Your uncle wouldn't allow it, he feared you might follow me on some damn-fool idealistic crusade, like your father did..." That would be awesome to see how those feelings all developed. Clearly they seem bitter towards eachother, likely about Luke's destiny and whether or not he should simply be kept from all that. I'd LOVE to see all that fleshed out.

I agree, this has the potential to be a great film-and I'd love to see Ewan have another go!
    Ren Kylo and MrDarth0 like this.
  22. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Padawan star 1

May 8, 2015
    I personally don't understand the fascination with force ghosts. I wouldn't expect Disney to spend much time on that. Maybe a brief conversation with Qui-Gon.

The interaction with the Lars' would definitely be interesting and fun to see.

Ultimately the movie would need some kind of action such as Obi-Wan being hunted.

Maybe an agent of the Empire discovers Luke and Obi-Wan has to do everything in his power to prevent that information from getting out.
    J7Luke and ZY-Fighter like this.
  23. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 21, 2014

But the last moment Owen Lars makes the "kill shot" to save both of them from the agent, and as the Jedi Master tries to thank him, he tells Obi, "I promised I'd protect Luke. That includes you. Now, you stay away from my family. "
    J7Luke, Revanfan1 and Siphonophore like this.
  24. williamjj666

williamjj666 Jedi Padawan

Jan 8, 2016
    one of those movies that will be so great if it happens, especially with Ewan mcgregor. But i wonder what the story will be like? Secret assassination attempts on Vader and emperor, Obi-vigilante-kenobi, love story...options are many
  25. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Master star 2

Aug 16, 2004
    If they ask Ewan about this movie, he will give the stock answer about how he's willing to do it, but won't answer otherwise.

For the movie, I like the idea of fleshing out the Lars and ghosts component, and the idea of a threat to discovering Luke. Maybe he finds out and cuts the evil agents off from communication and has to defeat them before they get word to the Empire? They can intermix flashbacks of his earlier life as a young jedi, during the Clone Wars, etc, as well as how he is dealing with his experiences psychologically.