main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ewan McGregor's acting?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by daveeek, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SambX

SambX Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2011
    What did the mature Jedi master who Darth Vader struck down dead in Star Wars think about the movies? Guiness held nothing back in an interview in Talk magazine. "I just couldn't go on speaking those bloody awful, banal lines. I'd had enough of the mumbo jumbo," he told interviewer Fintan O'Toole.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/290583/obi_wan_kenobi_hated_star_wars.html

2. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    That was Ewan four years ago.

This is Ewan now.

3. Obi-WanLikeaBoss

Obi-WanLikeaBoss Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2011
    I love that video, I love how he can actually twirl it, and use it properly. Nice one Ewan!

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Love that video. Ewan is aging gracefully and looks like Obi-Wan in the process :)

Wasn't it Anakin's lightsaber he took though?

5. Obi-WanLikeaBoss

Obi-WanLikeaBoss Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2011
    Well considering it was out of 3, he probaby just went for the one that resembled Obi-Wan's the most, which was Anakin's. Just like when he took Anakin's lightsabler in ROTS :')

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Go watch Empire of Dreams; that's all I'll say about how much Guinness appreciated the film.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Mind to post the whole interview, and what did Fintan asked him for him to say that? Because quotes can be taken out of context. Besides, as said above, there is proof of otherwise.

8. SambX

Apr 14, 2011
    Go and learn to behave.

I found that quote on the internet but I can't provide a complete interview. This quote appears on several websites, for example:
    http://www.virginmedia.com/movies/features/20-things-you-never-knew-about-star-wars.php?page=4

Most "negative" quotes are taken out of context. The media just wants to be negativ. Especially internet-"media". Negativity sells.

9. Bens_Dad

Bens_Dad Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2010
    Here here!

10. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Folks, I wouldn't be too distressed about this. Sir Alec was one of the preeminent actors in the world who suddenly found himself permanently tethered to a children's film. Although he probably should have handled the situation with more grace, try to imagine being greeted with the thousandth "May the Force be with you!" while rehearsing Richard III. You're gonna snap at some point.

11. Bens_Dad

Sep 26, 2010
    Some of Alec's quotes regarding the tiresome needs of fans are absolutely priceless. That said, if any Star Wars actor reduced my child to tears simply for asking for the adoration of the film to be indulged if only for a moment then they'd get a swift smack across the chops.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Just holding myself to the same non-standard you're setting for yourself by providing a quote you can't locate an actual source for. [face_peace]

13. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Oh, I remember that story. That mother should have knocked Sir Alec right to the ground, Darth Maul-style.

BTW, does anyone recall an article from a few years back wherein McGregor purportedly told someone in a children's hospital that he regretted making the Prequels? Cheese on rice, talk about a lack of decorum!

14. Bens_Dad

Sep 26, 2010
    I'd not heard about that. But I did see Ewan on the Graham Norton show the other night fighting with a toy lightsabre. He didn't look too regretful to me...

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Amen. :mad:

I've never heard of Ewan talking smack about making Star Wars--I don't consider talking negative about the blue screen to be the same thing--although I've heard more than one such Sir Alec story.

16. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I did hear about that alleged quote and frankly, I think it was a baldfaced LIE, as in somebody made it up. Ewan was quoted as saying things that come across on paper as graceless but I have had to wonder if they're out of context or they come from Ewan being asked/told by whomever's interviewing him just how much everybody hates those awful Jar Jar movies and how could he stand working for a d-bag like George Lucas. But whatever else you might think about Ewan as a person, I know the man has a huge heart for kids and there is just no way in hell he'd ever say that to a terminally-ill child.

I've also suspected Guinness's tale about the kid who'd seen ANH a hundred times might be a bit of a fish story. Why hasn't this kid come forward in all of these years? I'll eat my words if he ever does come forward, but maybe this was just Guinness's way of expressing his concern about the obsession Star Wars left in its wake. He did say that people actually wrote him letters asking him to help them save their marriages and stuff.

--MissPadme

17. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I second that. One of the most well-known "truths" for SW fans, for a long time, was that Guinness had talked Lucas into killing Obi-Wan off in the first film. Turned out it wasn't so, and that Lucas in fact had to talk the actor into going along with the idea. Myths easily grow dark in Lucas' disfavour.

18. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Also agree, to a certain extent. Could be an exaggeration, could be completely made up. I've no doubt that he encountered some bizarre stuff, though. A child who'd seen SW 100 times would have been at the less extreme end of the scale.

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong, the kid was reduced to tears after all in Guinness' account:

I'd always heard the story without the bit at the end.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I found an EW article on it from August 2000, right after Sir Alec died. According to it, he agreed to give the kid an autograph on the condition that the kid never watch Star Wars again. At which point the kid cried, and the mother called Sir Alec a nasty man.

20. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Let the kid come forth to purge himself of the trauma.

21. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I think he runs a website called 'Red Letter Media'.

22. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    There's a rumor that the kid was actually Tracy Morgan:

...but it's never been confirmed. :p

23. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I don't consider Qui-Gon Jinn and Jar-Jar Binks as "less significant" in TPM. As far as I'm concerned, they were a lot more significant than Obi-Wan.

24. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Wow he's hot. Hasn't lost his sabre swing and still as georgous as ever.

25. SambX

Apr 14, 2011
    I did, just reread my posts.
    Another source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/290583/obi_wan_kenobi_hated_star_wars.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.