main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Ewan McGregor's Reaction to the Spin-Offs

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Obi-Wan's my favorite Star Wars character, and Ewan McGregor is my favorite Obi-Wan, so I would hope so.

TreborSabreon and Valairy Scot like this.
  2. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Come on Disney you know you want to...

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This could be great...

4. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Give him the job already. He was one of the best things about the prequels and he's positive about his work in this franchise. This SW universe desperately needs someone who wants to have fun and has a positive outlook.

He could do it.

But heck, Young Obi-Wan! He could pull it off.

6. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    I hope they will seriously consider this spin off and do it soon. I think an Obiwan movie(s) will be incredible. Ewan had expressed interest in returning. Now, its just up to Disney to green light this project and get the ball rolling.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I for one would love to see Liam Neeson come back for a Qui-Gon spin-off and have Ewan in there too.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It would be like that other spin-off - The Clone Wars. It still follows Anakin Skywalker, even though it's not a part of the "saga" as such. So as an Obi-Wan spin-off about him protecting baby Luke could be perceived as Episode III½, so could The Clone Wars be called Episode II½.

Indeed :cool:

9. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I would say if they do a Ben Kenobi stand alone, It would probably be about 6-7 years after episode 3. It would probably revolve around Luke and Obi-wan directly meeting for the first time.

It could be a good story. It would be interesting showing off the world Tatooine in a much more concentrated narrative. They could make up some really interesting places of danger.

I got to admit, a Jawa city sounds kinda neat.

10. FloydB1Kenobi

FloydB1Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    I could see an Obi-Wan movie working, I don't think it should be as kid friendly as the the OT and PT tho, meaning alot more with Obi-Wan manipulating around on the planet, and coming to terms with what has happened. Big areas that he could be doing is working on weakening the influence of the Hutts. If you notice, in Ep. IV slavery is not meantioned once, so maybe he could do something to try and stop the shipping of peoples inhumanely onto the planet.

11. FloydB1Kenobi

Jun 13, 2002
    It could be a trio of adventures, one including Luke. I think it might be better if it doesn't have too much of him in it though.

12. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Honestly, it could work just as a very simple survival story.

13. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Luke obviously knew Obi-wan fairly well by episode 4. So its certainly not out of the realm of plausibility that they had an adventure prior to a New Hope. The key to it is keeping the action grounded on Tatooine, no inter planet nonsense.

14. FloydB1Kenobi

Jun 13, 2002
    They could also have a small series of short stories, as remembered from Obi-Wan's perspective. More like a young OB series, where it keeps flashing back to older obi-wan meditating and communicating to Yoda, and Qui-Gon via the force. And it gives you an understanding as to how the force ghost concept really works as well.

15. FloydB1Kenobi

Jun 13, 2002
    The other thing to consider as well though, is it won't have as much of the jedi action in it as most would want since he is hiding, and not revealing he's a jedi to Luke as well, until ANH.

16. FloydB1Kenobi

Jun 13, 2002
    Also might make it a better story for character development focusing on one area.

17. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Ever since I was a child, it has always been Luke and for the longest time, I never could have foreseen any other character approaching him in the pantheon of my personal fandom. As much as I love Sir Alec's portrayal, it wasn't until Ewan's performance in the PT that the character of Obi-Wan Kenobi was placed at the same level with Luke.

I'm secretly hoping that the ST gives Luke a son as the main protagonist and that this character is graced with writing and casting of a high enough caliber that I wind up having to consider making room for a third.

laurethiel1138 and Valairy Scot like this.
  18. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    That is a good point, Luke doesn't know what the force is or a lightsaber. However, Luke does call Ben a "strange old Hermit." It could be for some funny narratives. However, the Jedi stuff can be worked "in and out" of the story.

19. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I would be willing to bet you there is Two jedi main characters in the next trilogy.

20. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I think you may be right.

21. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I would love to have Obi-Wan spinoff starring McGregor. Out of all the spinoffs possible I think one starring Kenobi would be fantastically superb. There is plenty going on around Tatooine. Even through ghost Qui-Gon in there!

22. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsaE4ojm4Cw#t=5m25s

Obi-Wan can get the job done in a variety of cool ways with multiple tools and strategies.....

Would he have to cut back a bit on the saber flaunting????Sure, but I don't think it would be a buzzkill on the action

23. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    How about a remake of Yojimbo? Kurosawa scholars and critics state that Dashiell Hammett's 1929 novel Red Harvest was Kurosawa's inspiration for Yojimbo, while Kurosawa stated the major source of the plot was from the film noir classic The Glass Key, an adaptation of Dashiell Hammett's 1931 novel. Of course we're all familiar with the name Blue Harvest, which was a parody of the Hammett title.
    Or maybe something like High Plains Drifter, although we recently had Rango, so it would need to be different enough to make it not so easily recognizable.
    I'd like to hear the composer for this spinoff channel the spirit of Jerry Goldsmith in his work for Planet of the Apes. Actually, I wonder if that's what John Williams was going for when he wrote some of the tunes for Tatooine. Or get Ennio Morricone for the job.

24. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I think it would be a smart move for Disney to make a Obi-wan film for these reasons:
    1. It would be cheap to make since it most likely wont involve a lot of space travel or locations that involve heavy CGI.
    2. Unlike Han Solo or Boba Fett you won't have to deal with recasting. Ewan is thankfully young and fit enough to still play a young Obi wan *unlike a certain batch of actors who are sadly too old to play young versions of themselves*
    3. Kinda bonus that the actor actually wants to return.
    4. It could be another nice way to connect the prequels to the original series
    5. Fan support *which is needed these days*
    So I'd be supportive. They just need to get a good cast *for god sakes let Obi wan have a love interest for once* , director and script and have fun with it.

laurethiel1138 and Valairy Scot like this.
  25. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    In my opinion, in a spin off Obi-Wan should make one final attempt to try to "save" Anakin/Vader. There's nothing to say he didn't confront Vader once again post RotS, in fact there are very strong suggestions that he did. Consider these quotes from RotJ:

Luke: there's still good in him
    Ben: he's more machine now than man (how did he know that? Ok Vader's probably famous but still it seemed to be a personal observation. He said it with such annoyance)

Luke: Come with me!
    Vader: Obi-Wan once thought as you did (perfect line to suggest that Obi once tried to convince Vader to come with him & turn from the Dark Side. No it's not "proof" that he did but it's consistent with this development.)

These comments always suggested to me that Obi had one final attempt at turning Anakin back to the good side. In ANH when Vader says "you should not have come back" there's no reason that he's not referencing the time when Obi made his last attempt to either save or destroy Vader. This should be set only a few years after Sith bcs clearly it happened a long time before ANH. There's nothing precluding Obi from even having a confrontation with the Emperor.

Doing this would for once throw a surprise into the saga. We all think we know what happens. Ben hangs around the desert & just watches over Luke. This is a chance for them to shake things up, change the assumed mythology regarding Vader & Obi-Wan & maybe even the Emperor. Perhaps Obi could have dealings with Bail Organa, which would add weight to him sending Obi the Death Star plans with Leia?)

What do you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.