main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Ewan McGregor's Reaction to the Spin-Offs

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Of course Obi-Wan is supposed to be in hiding watching over Luke so while not impossible, it would be a bit difficult to arrange a meeting between the two.

Otherwise, I like.

2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I think this would fit in even better with the idea that Obi is "in hiding". At the end of RotS the Emperor & Vader know for a fact that Obi is alive. He would be close to their no 1 priority to find & eliminate. It could be argued that it's quite a stretch to think they never found him, especially on a planet Vader is so familiar with. But what if Obi comes for Anakin one last time, & at the end of it all he is presumed dead or dying? In ANH Tarkin says "surely he must be dead by now". Why was Tarkin so sure of this? Obi wasn't 100, he was only in his 60's. Yes there can be other explanations of this, but a good one could be to tie it in with Obi having this incident a few years after Sith where he tries to turn Anakin back.

Apart from it being a cool movie where we finally get to see suited Vader again (I'm guessing Disney would be keen on that) it ties in, once again with this RotJ dialogue:

Luke: there's still good in him
    Ben: he's more machine now than man (how did he know that? Ok Vader's probably famous but still it seemed to be a personal observation. He said it with such annoyance)

Luke: Come with me!
    Vader: Obi-Wan once thought as you did (perfect line to suggest that Obi once tried to convince Vader to come with him & turn from the Dark Side)

Apart from this I don't like the idea that Obi would not try one last time to save Anakin. They were supposed to be such great friends. Yes in RotS Anakin did terrible things but Obi knew he was deceived & manipulated by Palpatine. I think it's important that Obi would try again, not just kick back in the desert & leave Anakin in the Emperors clutches.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, Obi-Wan was on Tatooine because that was "the last place Vader would ever go."

4. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    The Men Who Stare At Goats: Episode II. you know you want it.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  5. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    that's just a fan assumption. Not supported by anything in the movies. The reason Obi went to Tatooine was stated by him in Sith: to have Luke raised by his aunt & uncle

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Give Ewan his own Obi-Wan trilogy. Seriously. Have them more character-oriented and mature. Ewan would have a hoot with it I'm sure.

Have the first one leading into The Phantom Menace with Qui-Gon. Have the second between TPM and AOTC with a younger Anakin, and the third between AOTC and ROTS with Hayden.

Or just do a solo trilogy for Kenobi. No other Jedi. Just him.

That way someone could watch six movies chronicling Obi-Wan's adventures in some way shape or form.

Eryndil and Valairy Scot like this.
  7. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I have to say, as much as I'd love to see an Obi-Wan film, the thought of Kenobi facing Vader between III and IV has always been completely out of the question for me.

Until I read your post. You've really sold me on the potential of a meeting between the two. The first third to one-half of an Obi-Wan film could mimic an old western, centering on Kenobi's adventures with the dangerous element of Tatooine (and hopefully peak with a confrontation with Owen) before Obi-Wan, upon maybe hearing more and more reports of Vader's atrocities, decides that it's worth the risk to make one final stab at reaching Anakin and seeks Vader out.

Obi-Wan going to Vader would solve the problem of getting Obi-Wan off of Tatooine (and therefore deal with any potential continuity problems of having Vader there). And who knows, maybe this is a chance to show us Kenobi's prior experience with the spaceport in Mos Eisley). Of course, his attempt would ultimately meet with failure, but perhaps Obi-Wan earns himself a victory in the sense that he learns something in the effort that can help him with raising / protecting Luke and Leia.

As others have mentioned, a scene or more with Bail Organa would be welcome. Perhaps it's Organa's connections in the Imperial Senate which can help Obi-Wan in getting to Vader? Maybe while meeting with Bail, Obi-Wan (and the audience) is given his first glimpse of Leia since the twins were separated?

There'a actually quite a lot that a quality screenplay could do with the premise, adding a sizeable chunk of lore to a period unexplored on the big screen (and offering the avaerage movie-goer a rollicking good adventure in the process). It's does seem that the one actor vital to the production would be on board...

Go Obi!

8. FloydB1Kenobi

FloydB1Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    Exactly, the key is to have it be very subtle to Luke, but obvious to the audience.

9. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    TreborSabreon wrote: And who knows, maybe this is a chance to show us Kenobi's prior experience with the spaceport in Mos Eisley)

Great call. Ben was very familiar with Mos Eisly Spaceport & knew all about booking passage from there. If you disregard fan assumption & the EU there's absolutely no reason that Obi wouldn't have left Tatooine on occasion, or maybe often, at least in his early years there. I say they should think outside the box & ignore all of the assumptions. In RotS Obi just said he'd deliver Luke to his family there & watch over him. That doesn't mean he had to have a constant vigil for 20 years & never leave the place

JainaSoloYJK and TreborSabreon like this.
  10. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Wait, Obi kills Luke? And then himself? Why didn't I know about this?!

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Erm, I meant none of the bad guys get out alive but I'd watch that version of the movie too just because it would be a twist of M Night Shamylann esque proportions.

Ordo Skirata likes this.
  12. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I would be all for this. A good adventure to bridge the gap between III and IV. Vader hunting down the rest of the Jedi. Obi-Wan on a new adventure.

13. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Ha I felt the same..it was always Luke as my hero when I was a kid, but yup Obi-Wan has eclipsed him over the years. Still a Luke fan though.

Valairy Scot and TreborSabreon like this.
  14. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I really like this idea. This has probably been mentioned in various posts here already, but the potential for explaining OT lines that don't quite jive with the PT is massive if they do this movie is huge. I don't like writing EVERYTHING off to it being a "certain point of view" or that Obi-Wan is just a flat out liar. Of course, Ben and Yoda had to mislead Luke to a certain extent "not ready for the burden were you". I like this idea of Kenobi making an attempt to redeem Vader and turn him away from the dark side, failing and believing he is hopelessly lost.

This also gives us Kenobi AND Vader movie all in one shot. Neat.

15. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    There also needs to be a crucial Obi-Wan vs Owen scene..."he thought you'd follow Obi-Wan on some damned fool's idealistic crusade", "he didn't hold with your father's ideals and thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved" all need to be explained a bit better. My idea is Kenobi most likely has made Owen and Beru that Anakin is in fact alive and is Vader, they need to be aware that he could discover Luke's whereabouts at some point and that it's a real threat, and he brings Anakin's lightsaber to give to Luke when he is old enough. This sets Owen into a bit of a tirade about the Jedi and Anakin, saying if he had stayed on Tatooine and "Not gotten involved" in this Jedi nonsense, Shmi Skywalker would likely still be alive (remember Owen loved her like she was his real mother), that Anakin becoming a Jedi actually led to the Empire being created etc, and he'd rather be digested in the Sarlacc then allow Luke to follow Obi-Wan and be turned into a monster. He could also tell Obi-Wan to shove Anakin's lightsaber where the twin suns don't shine.

Now, any idea's on how to make "this is your father's lightsaber...he wanted you to have it, when you were old enough" work a bit better? Leave it as a "certain point of view?"

16. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    There are many stories to be told of Obiwan on Tatooine, a lot of possibilities! Maybe he opened a Club Obiwan somewhere in the deserts?:D

17. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Hey, lady! You call him Doctor Jones!!!

JainaSoloYJK, mattman8907 and Boxster like this.
  18. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, I can't personally say that Obi-Wan has eclipsed Luke (I mean, it's Luke Skywalker - he'll always be there), but Kenobi has put himself right alongside Luke as my favorite and even that is something I never thought could have happened.

I agree that one of the cool things about an Obi-Wan film is its potential to answer a good many things, but as far as I'm concerned, the line about Anakin wanting Luke to have Anakin's lightsaber is just perfect as it is. Kenobi knows full well that the good man that Anakin was would've wished for his son to inherit that lightsaber and I've always found it really touching that Obi-Wan goes there as he hands it over to Luke.

kevmp likes this.
  19. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    A remake of Yojimbo would complete kind of a twisted circle, because George Lucas originally wanted Toshiro Mifune to be Obi-Wan Kenobi.

And...
    ...I like all of this. This would make a great movie.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  20. Feng Shui Engine

Feng Shui Engine Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    You sold me on this, now I want to see it happen.

This movie could also be another chance to flesh out the Anakin and Obi Wan relationship outside of The Clone Wars series, through use of flashbacks. Hell, those flashbacks could be live-action re-enactments of scenes from The Clone Wars.

Also, one way of starting the movie; Obi Wan, before building his homestead, is holed up in a cave. He's sitting by a campfire, and through the crackling embers, he experiences sudden flashbacks of Mustafar along with distant voices "This is the end for you my master". Quick-cut back to Obi Wan, with head in hand. He looks back up at the fire and then turns his head to his backpack. He sees Anakin's lightsaber peeking out. Obi Wan turns back to the fire and, with a slight hand gesture, uses the force to extinguish it. As he does so, the screen goes black and then to the title screen...

Ok I'm getting too into this, I need to stop.

21. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I do see your point, and a very good one it is, but The Clone Wars are an animated film/tv show so they don't really go together to the average viewer. So if they were to animate Ben protecting kiddie Luke it wouldn't intrude. No one but us peeps here would watch a SW marathon and consider putting TCW animated movie in there. Hell, there's prob not many that would consider watching a SW marathon at all! [face_laugh] However, a live action Obi Ewan feature film using same actors last seen in EPIII now protecting the future star of EPIV... to the general public would be a little more than a side story, no? So the Obi spin off has to have him doing something else IMO.

I don't think I can be convinced otherwise, but it is a fun discussion. =D= [face_peace]

22. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Kenobi Spin-Off more successful then VII. Would be fun. ;)

Valairy Scot and Eryndil like this.
  23. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    It's a really nice idea but I'm not sure even Ewan could pass for early 20s now.

24. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003

Some brainstorming I've done:
    I'm thinking it would help the film if Obi-Wan had a side-kick, similar to how The Lone Ranger has Tonto. Thinking about how George originally wanted Toshiro Mifune to be Obi-Wan, but went with Alec Guinness, what if Obi-Wan's sidekick is a crafty gunslinger that provides a lot of slapstick comedy. Think Terence Hill in his roles in My Name is Nobody, or the Trinity films. With Ewan playing the role of space ronin, I think it would be great to have a talented young Japanese comedian play the gunslinging western-style sidekick. The duo might meet in a small Tatooine town's saloon during an extended brawl with ruffians, the two get along. Another thing that the sidekick brings to the story is he's a space pilot. The two can then hop planets and go on various missions. I had originally thought of someone like Clint Eastwood directing this, given his experience in spaghetti westerns, but now I think Takeshi Kitano (Beat Takeshi) would be a better choice, since he has more experience than Clint working in action and comedy, not to mention his work in The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi. He might also have an idea who would be a great gunslinging pilot sidekick.

StoneRiver likes this.
  25. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Giving Obi-Wan a side-kick would surely open up the story possibilities and, especially considering some of George Lucas' influences, I like the idea of introducing Asian sensibilities to the mix.

Beyond that, I'm not prepared to offer an opinion on characterization regarding any potential partner for Obi, but I do like that you're thinking outside of the box (as I think the opportunity to do so this is one of the more appealing things about any SW film outside of the "Episodes").

StoneRiver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.