main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ewok with the death sentence on ten systems?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LandoSystem1138, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Desann

Master_Desann Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2002
    "You are looking at a planetary extinction event of frightening proportions."

Umm, no I do not see any extinction at all... All I see is simply a big fancy explosion in a fantasy world in a hollywood blockbuster. In hollywood fantasy blockbusters and other types of fantasy, big explosions tend to not have any far reaching consequences, like they may have in real life. Routinely things of huge size blow up near earth or other planets in series such as Stargate, ID4, etc. With no severe consequences whatsoever.

For example in warcraft the destruction of the planet draenor didn't wipe out all life on the planet. It became Outland... The draeni live on each of the floating asteroids along with other life forms. Each self contained environments that pretty much look like the surface of the original Draenor.

Similarly in star wars destruction of alderaan didn't destroy everyone on the planet. Infact there were many survivors living out inside of the palace which had been protected from the blast due fact that most of it was located underground, and could be sealed off rom the surface. The underground portion existed inside of an asteroid, which was discovered along with the survivors in an WEG rpg adventure.

Star Wars is not hard scifi and shouldn't be treated as such... Treating fantasy universes as hard scifi is just as bad as being a trekkie...

If I want hard scifi I'll go to Arthur C. Clark or one of the authors that deals with hard cold facts...

I certainly don't look for it in Fantasy...

I like fantasy cause its interesting, its exciting, and its highly imaginative, not mired down by physical laws of reality... It can often be artistic forming unique and beautiful otherworldly landscapes that likely couldn't exist any place in any other genre. It inspires artists to draw original and beautiful art with surreal or escher like qualities.

2. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    Do you know in what WEG guide or supplemment these survivors are mentioned in?

3. Master_Desann

Feb 10, 2002
    Ok it was apparently graveyard of alderaan, and I just checked up on it.

There wasn't any survivors inside. Just a bunch of ghosts, haunting memories, some hologram displays, and some old guy that claims he's Bail Organa, and later denies it says he's just an Elder on Alderraan's council that came back to the palace to finish some mission of Bail's. But the palace was apparently mostly intact buried inside of an asteroid.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    In the novelisation of ROTJ, it mentions Endor was freed of its Gas Giant at the veeeeeery beginning of the novel.

*suprised no one noted that*

*suspicious he may have imagined it*

5. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Its in there. I believe that LFL invalidated the "disappearing gas giant" a while ago, along with Owen being Obi's brother. In any case, the true Endor appears in several sources, including the Ewok films IIRC.

About the Alderaan survivors thing, there actually were some "survivors" in addition to that palace adventure. According to Coruscant and the Core Worlds, an "Alderaanian team of visionaries" constructed a secret installation centuries before Alderaan's destruction and put inside it genetic material from every Alderaanian species. When the planet was destroyed, its homing beacon activated and it was found to be inside one of the larger asteroids (larger than 200 km). The adventure hook is that the heroes find it and have to fight off Imperials who have also found it.

6. Master_Desann

Feb 10, 2002
    Sinrebirth, that was invalidated as Rogue Follower mentioned. It was insider I believe. It mentined something about how the script mentioned that endor orbited a planet, that it was shown in early concept art by Ralph Mcquarry, and that a mistake occured in one of the story boards (names were switched by accident with the moon being marked as the planet, and the planet marked as the moon). Due to a number of problems including the mistake in the storyboard the scene was never finished as originally intended, and the moon was never put on screen. However it was added in later movies (ewoks).

Infact the refrence in ROTJ may actually just be an easter egg jokingly pointing to how the planet disappeared during the course of production of the movie. If its just an easter egg, it may not be intended to be taken so literally.

Also if it had been true that the planet just "disappeared" continuing to call it a moon would be unscientific. A moon is something that orbits another planet, if it does not orbit another planet it is not a moon. If a moon somehow leaves the orbit of a planet, it becomes a rogue planet, if the rogue planet finds a new orbit around a sun it becomes a planet, and if it finds orbit around another planet depending on the type of orbit it either becomes a moon or a binary planet(mutual orbit around a common point). But if the object is by itself it can't be a moon.

7. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Tarfang might have been one of the three that escaped with Kolot and Kirney Slane (aka Gara Petothal/Lara Nostil) from Iron Fist. Also no one ever said Ewoks had to be gental. I think the EU was overdue for a Tarfang type charactor. Even better for Han to be their to refer to him as "cuddles" and for Tarfang to growl back.

Also Tarfang was never described as operating any technology, just growling, breaking Killik limbs and talking crap about Han Solo's plans. He seems more like a side-kick/traveling companion then a true copilot.

The Endor Holocaust is just more proof on how wrong the Saxtonites. Saxton came up with his own vision of the Star Wars Galaxy and he can't except other from deviating from it. It calls for uberbattleships and the total extinction of creatures he doesn't like. It is a bit fascist worshiping and tries to bring in real science so it can be directly compaired (but only in a favorable manner) to other Sci Fi genres (mainly Star Trek). If a Star Destroyer was only a destroyer and if more powerful ships were commonplace then starfighters would be the size would be much larger and more powerful then they are. The facts are the movies show ships the size of the Executor, Home One and Invisible Hand are exceptions, not rules. Sure TF Battleships are large, but they were designed as transports to move absolutely massive amounts of cargo from place to place, not warships. Massive transports that after the Clone Wars were no longer viable and bulk freighers became smaller, allowing companies to operate more ships and have more flexible freighter fleets.

8. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    well, Star Wars and science are not always on the same page. but i agree that an object by itself can't be a moon. however if it was first discovered as a moon and later went rogue, it might still be called a moon because everyone knows it as that from before. or even if it was originally mis-classified as a moon (due to an incomplete understanding of the system), it might still be called a moon due to historical context.

LUKE: Look at him. He's headed for that small moon.
    BEN: That's no moon! Any natural object that was orbiting Alderaan as a satellite is now, due to the destruction of Alderaan, free to settle into an orbit around Alderaan's sun, and therefore not be a moon. It must be a space station.

9. Master_Desann

Feb 10, 2002
    Though even Pablo Hidalgo brought up the fact that the sanctuary moon was a moon scientifically, only because it orbited a planet, in one of his articles.

Just because a place might be called a moon(like someone flashing their butt), doesn't make it actually so... ;)

As for a former moon of Alderaan I suppose if it was still obiting the mass of the newly formed asteroid field, or a large chunk of Alderaan's crust, it would still be a satellite, and therefore could technically still be called a moon, due to its orbit around another physical body... I seem to recall asteroids being considered "minor planets" or "planetoids" in astronomy, so anything that orbited around them could be considered a moon. I think there was an example of such an occurance in the asteroid belt of our solar system?

Still earth's astronomy definitions need not apply in a fictional space fantasy world happening a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, even if various authors including Saxton or even Pablo Hidalgo have even tried to do so in their work.

10. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Ewok with the death sentence on ten systems?

He killed the son of a senator (of 10 systems) who thought he was a teddy bear. Quite simple actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.