main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Ewoks vs Gungans

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AllAboutThatMace, Mar 11, 2015.

1. AllAboutThatMace

AllAboutThatMace Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    Perhaps the two most hated-on species in Star Wars history. "Cute and funny" (depending on your mileage) noble savage archetypes who befriend the protagonists and help wage war against a more technologically advanced opponent. Often considered by their critics to be notable low points in their respective trilogies...

But this isn't about whether you like them or not. This is about, between the two, which one do you like more. If you have to have one of them in a Star Wars story, which would you prefer?

Bonus question--the two species go to war, who wins?

2. AllAboutThatMace

Dec 2, 2014
    My personal vote goes to the Gungans, for a few reasons:
    -Jar-Jar doesn't actually seem representative of most Gungans, who otherwise don't seem nearly as goofy or klutzy.

-They civilization is a lot more interesting. The Ewoks are pretty much just huts, sticks and spears--apart from their small size their civilization honestly wouldn't seem particularly notable even on Earth. Whereas the Gungans had a very cool mixture of weapons inspired by antiquitiy but incorporating Star Wars tech in interesting ways, plus their cities are visually stunning

For pretty much the same reasons, I also think Gungans would win a fight if it came to it

Alienware and Jesse Booth like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Oh, great...another latent racism/privilege thread and most people won't even be aware how their views are based on what they think IRL.

4. AllAboutThatMace

Dec 2, 2014

Since when is not liking Ewoks racist?

Darth__Lobot and Jesse Booth like this.
  5. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    8-}

Jesse Booth likes this.
  6. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    Ewoks are a Vietcong allegory (see also Aliens), about a less developed enemy defeating a superior one through better motivation and knowledge and advantage on the fighting ground, They also eat what they know to be intelligent species, which still amazes got through all the way, hope rebels went vegetarian at the end celebration. But they are cute, so that automatically ruins them for lots of people. If you read the former EU, compare with the nogri, who are about same size, first contact was about the same tech level if I remember well, and took Vader to subdue them. But they are ugly as hell, so no problem.

And people really take Jar Jar as a representative despite being left quite clearly he isnĀ“t? I also find their culture could be more interesting, both by being more advanced than the ewoks, and also because of being amphibians makes them more distincitve.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    It amazes me so many people think Jar-Jar is a typical Gungan, he isn't. His own people think he is a spaz and they don't like him, hence why he was banished.

As for Ewokes vs Gungans, I prefer the Gungans. They are a much more interesting race than the Ewokes.

8. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    I like ewoks and gungans .(have seen the two Ewok television movies and series;Shadow Warrior is a great episode and Grievous does NOT get humiliated)
    Design wise:Gungans
    Weaponwise:Gungans
    Cutewiseo_O:Ewoks:p
    Character wise :both (Tarpals and Paploo,Wicket and Jar Jar \although the series where Wicket was in was really goofy)

Jo

9. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Old topic but I would pick Ewoks. Just found them more interesting then the gungans.

In terms of who would win in a battle probably gungans as they have more trained soldiers and more advanced weapons.

10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Aesthetically I prefer Gungans. Tech-wise I'd go Ewoks cause they know Faith counts.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I can't see the Ewoks doing to well in a battle if the Gungans had home advantage.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Tech and home ground doesn't equal win. Often it leads to overconfidence a theme in SW.

13. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    But the Ewoks would surely struggle underwater. :p

Jesse Booth likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If the Ewoks can build gliders, why not submarines? :D

"beast speakers" like Teebo could contact the animals of the Gungan swamps, and get their aid. Imagine Sando Aqua monsters, ridden by Ewoks, attacking the Gungan subs.

15. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    What would the Ewoks do if the totally hypothetical battle was on the same sort of battlefield as the Gungan's fought on when on Naboo? The Ewoks did as well as they did precisely because they set up traps and ambushes and guerrilla tactics against the more advanced technology of the Imperials. But on an open field, two armies lined up face to face... Gungans pop their shields and then it's game over. On the Ewoks' own ground they hit and run and could win that way. Basically it's home team wins.

But as to preferences... got to be Gungans. Jar Jar's NOT a typical Gungan, he got kicked out for crying out loud. Someone like Tarpals is what Gungans SHOULD be and I just plain prefer that to little fluffy teddy bear critters.

Jesse Booth likes this.
  16. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    With huge, underwater speakers attached to it, pumping out Yub Nub! The Gungans wouldn't stand a chance!

Jesse Booth and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Cindel Towani Interview With An Endor Veteran bit from The Essential Guide to Warfare is one of my favourite bits in the book:

with endnotes on the subject:

http://jasonfry.tumblr.com/post/25364458982/eg-to-warfare-endnotes-pt-12

18. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i don't mind either. Gungan's are probably more interesting in some ways.

19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

I would watch this.

Reported, because you don't call another person insane like that.

20. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    But it's okay to label them racist and stupid?

Rabs likes this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I did not use the word stupid and this is a known bias. I have watched a lecture on how most of the hate against Ewoks has roots in racism and the aversion of the noble savages trope. The lecture can be found on YouTube and the author is a professor on the Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. I talked about it with an anthropologist friend on a couple of occasions as well.

And as somebody who was discriminated over being a member of a particular nation for years, I feel strongly about such issues. As a first world male who has never seen war, you are likely not going to be able to understand that and I'm sorry for making your head spin.

22. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    I like both the Gungans and the Ewoks.
    The society of the Gungans is more interesting, and their design is more creative (let's face is, Ewoks look just like teddy bears).
    But, I like the symbolism of the Ewoks a lot. The theme of 'primitive vs technology' is a really strong one.

In terms of battle, I think the Gungans would win.
    In terms of music though, the Ewoks would rule. Yub Nub is a lot better then Augie's Municipal Band. Not bad for little furballs!

23. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Ewok Poet

First of all, you have suggested that the OP is racist when the thread is clearly just in the general nature of 'which do you like best?'

Secondly, you have suggested that most people won't be aware of their own thought processes on this matter, which is generally not a great sign of intelligence.

Thirdly, please don't make assumptions about me.

24. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    I would have to say Ewoks, only because (and I admit I'm biased here) of nostalgia reasons.

That is not to say Gungans as a whole aren't interesting. In fact I'd like to know more about their culture and religion.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  25. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I find you foolish. Report that.