main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Ewoks vs Gungans

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AllAboutThatMace, Mar 11, 2015.

1. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Okay. Lets move along.

2. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    speaking of underwater Ewoks:

[​IMG] :p

3. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I like both but personally find the Gungans more interesting. But even more interesting than the Gungans would be the Tusken Raiders. I've always really liked their look and would like to know what alterations, if any, the new canon is going to make in regards to their history. As a Native American I find primitive races, especially when in Sci-Fi, quite interesting.

jc1138 and MOC Yak Face like this.
  4. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Yes, I've always been fascinated by the Tuskens too. I enjoyed reading a bit more about them in the Kenobi novel.

DARTH_BELO, jc1138 and Rabs like this.
  5. Xamicom

Xamicom Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2015
    Interesting fact about Tuskens and Jawas: They evolved from the same species.

I prefer Ewoks over Gungans.

6. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    (another Native American here who also is fascinated by the Tuskens)

I like both the Ewoks and Gungans--they are different from each other in a great many ways which, in a sense, brings them both into sharper focus. I like the ferocity and casual ruthlessness we see at times in the Ewoks (no doubt, they were going to eat Han, Luke, etc.). I also like the less-silly, and catfish-looking Captain Tarpals of the Gungans. He is a more mature and capable warrior, and in him I "get" what Jar Jar was saying about his people being warriors. (Wasn't crazy about what TCW's did with Tarpals, however, though I liked Jar Jar in TCW's).

DBPirate and Rabs like this.
  7. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    I'd rather visit Otoh Gunga than the ewoks' village, I prefer bongos for transportation over walking, I like Jar Jar better than Wicket, and I like gungans' weapons much more than the ewoks' weapons. For me, it's hands down in favor of the gungans.

Pain and Suffering likes this.
  8. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Personally, I like the Ewoks more. Sure they're kinda lame, and they make annoying noises, but atleast they aren't terrible CGI and they don't talk like total no. I'm not talking about the accent, it's the English wording that irks me.

Plus, them winning the battle, as embarrassing and nonsensical as it is, atleast it kind of had a powerful message where technology does not always guarantee a sure fire win. The Gungans winning was just more annoying than anything.

Finally, Ewoks have the potential to be cute.

Ewok Poet and Jesse Booth like this.
  9. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015

Well - Jar Jar may be a 'Mesa Jar Jar Binks!' hilarious Gungan - BUT then again there are other Gungans and considering Boss Nass is not an idiot and he certainly has more backbone than that of Jar Jar and the fact there's Roos Tarpals who also had quite some backbone to take on General Grievous even though it cost him his life ... and the fact the Gungans they do have some firepower ...

On the other hand ... Ewoks are craft brave fellas ... although question is whether they can work out a ways to get past first the Deflector Shield ... then again the Deflector Shield was for fast-paced objects rather than slower moving objects ... Given Wookiepedia stated the Gungan offensive weaponry consisted of spears,atlatls, Electropole and cestas for throwing boomas. Gungan battle wagons pulled by falumpasets carried large energy balls for use in catapults.[12]
    The Gungans also used bongos for transporting supplies. The Grand Army used kaadus as mounts for their officers and as cavalry, with their riders using flamethrowers. Other kaadus were mounted with weapons to serve as anti-infantry units. The Grand Army also used biological units as heavy weapons, such ascerrabores and lerraas, and swifts.

On the other hand ... the Ewoks though they've got the hang-gliders plus their arrows have a potent neurotoxin ... and if the Swamp Gas of Oh'ma Dun killed many Gungans ... the Gungans would have to be careful with the Ewoks ... and the fact Ewoks can scavenge and salvage enemy gear and tools ...

Also - doesn't it depend on the terrain? Given in an open field the Ewoks will not be able to utilize traps very well ... in a forested area ... now that's a different story ...

Jesse Booth likes this.
  10. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I like Boss Nass. He didn't allow pride and ego to blind him from seeing what needed to be done in supporting the Naboo.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Ewoks. They beat the emperors finest legion of troops usingb primitve technology. And they are vicious little teddy bears. I love them for that.

They ATE the stormtroopers after the battle, remeber Luke and co were going to be the main course in honor of threepio earlier in the film. by helping the rebel strike team the ewoks just had got enough meat to last them for months.[face_laugh]

12. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015

But what if it was an OPEN FIELD like on the plains of Naboo? Sure the Ewoks can still put up a fight BUT its not like they're dragging huge tree-logs or trunks or bringing up parts of traps when they're open and easily visible eh?

13. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    Then they would have lost. But the gungans did have a higher technology level then the ewoks.

14. Darth Amr

Darth Amr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2015
    Just because JarJar is an idiot/a knucklehead/to clumsy for his own good/a waste of oxygen and matter..where am I going with this?
    Gungans aren't like JarJar (consider JarJar the defective gungan) the gungans held their own against battle droids while being outnumbered and defeated General Grevious in TCW.
    My vote goes to the Gungans

JEDI-RISING and The Sith Camp like this.
  15. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Hmmm, the Gungan's "lost" the battle as their whole attack and surrendered to the droid army, and the whole thing was just a diversion in order for Qui-gon and Obi-Wan to help Amidala get to the main chamber and capture the Viceroy. They only "won" because Anakin took out the control ship which disabled the droids and Amidala succeeded.

The Ewoks did win against, and I quote Palpatine, "an entire Legion of my best troops".

So whatever technological edge the Gungans have on the Ewoks it didn't show in the movies. Now if the Naboo battle would've been underwater or in the swamps maybe the Gungans would've fared better. The Ewoks were in their back-yard.

Ewoks are vicious carnivores that will eat other sentient beings without any remorse. They are also fiercely loyal and courageous. Their system is more hunter-gatherer, maybe akin to ice-age era Humans.

Gungans by comparison are a lot more "civilized" they moved beyond the eat-or-be-eaten paradigm, have a more structured social , political and military systems and technology far more advanced than our own (Earth-human) technology. They're also amphibian. I would guess that in a battle between earth soldiers of our era and Gungans, they will win hands-down.

I liked the battle of Endor more than the battle against the droids.

If it weren't for Jar-jar, I would really like the Gungans a lot more. I also wish we could've heard the Gungan language. They sound funny speaking the common tongue but they may have sounded better with their own language or even Huttese or some other language.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    The ewoks are primitive thing does not completely hold up either. If you watch some of the scenes they were stealing the stormtroopers weapons:
    [​IMG]

and Paploo also figured out how to fly a speederbike.

[​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    Actually - I wonder - how long do you reckon the Ewoks can last IF it was in the open field on the Plains of Naboo - so pretty much you're visible and such - I mean the Ewoks probably can't set up traps or bring huge logs or such BUT they've still got their fighting spirit AND they got the gliders ... but how long would you say they could last against the Gugans? I mean I don't think the Shield Generator will help against the Ewoks and it will ground down to a fierce ground h2h combat battle ... but Ewoks are brave and fierce warriors ... but then again the Gungans managed to hold off long enough for a diversion for Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Padme ... and the Gungans did lose Captain/General Tarpals but they did defeat General Grievous ...

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think much of it comes down to the battlefield.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ewoks have a tree village. That is awesome!

Ewok Poet, Iron_lord and JEDI-RISING like this.
  20. Darth Amr

Darth Amr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2015
    erm Palpatine's "best troops" got killed by rocks and the only accuracy we saw from a Stormtrooper was hitting Leia in the shoulder...let me reword it for you
    Stormtroopers just suck..period so "best troops" means squat when you are referring to Stormtroopers who can't even shoot straight

21. Deukalion

Deukalion Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2015
    I prefer the gungans.
    The reason for this is because the Ewoks are primitive, and still learning about catapults and stone tools whereas the Gungans have achieved underwater cities, giant ray shields that can survive continuous barrage (although surpsrisingly cannot keep enemies out), and have those really cool 'Boomas' and other weapons such as spears, but modernized to have electric tips, and then also have artillery you won't see the Ewoks with for another millenium, such as the Fambaa sonic cannon.

To answer your bonus question, the Ewok's creativity is a small consolation for their lack of artillery.

But-- wait! the 'Boomas' the Gungans use against the droids in EP:I are seemingly their best weaponry for ranged attacks (Apart from the Fambaa cannon)! These weapons are technically EMP bubbles, and since Ewoks aren't electric, I doubt the Boomas could slow them down. If there was to be a battle between both civs, though, it's really a tight match, but I think the Gungans' weaponry would stamp out any Ewok presence. Another factor to consider is where they're fighting. If it's in open ground, Gungans get clear shots at their enemies which clarifies their ability to destroy the enemy presence, whereas as battle in a forest would permit Ewoks to scale the trees and ambush the Gungans from above. Remember that the Ewoks stamped out the Imperial presence with their sticks and stones.

I'm siding with the Gungans regardless. :p

22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I was really young when ROTJ came out so I absolutely loved the Ewoks, the only Star Wars toys I had for a long while were Ewok related and I watched the movies enough times that I wore out the VHS tape they were recorded on. Honestly I didn't know there were lots of people who hated them until much later as everyone I knew had no problems with them. I don't love them as much as I used to but I still like them a lot and they certainly represent a nostalgic piece of my childhood.

As for Gungans, they are fine. I don't like Jar Jar but the rest of them seem okay.

Ewok Poet and Iron_lord like this.
  23. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002

Agreed. Stormtroopers are as bad as droid cannon-fodder. That's why I quoted Palps.

Are you implying or suggesting that the TPM Droids the gungans fight are stronger/more accurate than ROTJ storm troopers?

24. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    What if they fought on neutral ground and a few Ewoks were taken captive to Gungan central? They could become the masters of their own destruction from the inside out. Those pesky Ewoks look cute, but they're stone-cold killers and they eat anything they catch! On Otoh Gunga... no one can hear Jar Jar Scream!

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012