main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Ewoks vs Gungans

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AllAboutThatMace, Mar 11, 2015.

1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I prefer Ewoks but that doesn't mean I hate Gungans. I was actually one of the ones that didn't mind the Ewoks defeating the Empire in Episode VI and the Gungans themselves in Episode I.

Mainly I just like Wicket but I'm sure that counts.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Depends on the Ewok expertise level of people talking to you. To me, it almost doesn't count. ;) :p

3. Mister Unicorn

Mister Unicorn Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2015
    I prefer Ewoks, but I think that George Lucas screwed them up by making them cute. But I think that the Gungan culture is definitely more interesting.

In a battle I think that the Gungans would win, because their weaponry is more advanced.

4. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I haven't seen the Ewoks show. Forgive me! :_|

Ewok Poet likes this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Come along, we have the honey melon cookies and dangleberry juice.

Jokes aside, we see five major Ewoks as distinct characters in ROTJ already. I happen to be (apparently) the world's #1 fan of the one of those five people appear to dislike most. [face_love]

6. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    I actually like the Ewoks so I'd choose them and I would say they would win a battle against the Gungans not just because I prefer them but because the Gungans aren't very impressive during battle from what I've seen..

7. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Ok here's a run-down of canon military technology:

Gungans:
    - Stun spears -lancers electropoles
    - Booma, boomer
    - Shield generators
    - Charriots
    - Personal Shields
    - Slings
    - Catapult
    - Atatl
    - Grand army (military training and techniques)
    - Cavalry (ok not horses but mounted army)
    - Underwater vehicles
    - Personal armor

Ewoks:
    - Slings
    - Bolas
    - Bow and arrows
    - Wooden spears (stone tip)
    - Blunt weapons (hammers)
    - Fangs?
    - Guerrilla tactics
    - Booby-traps
    - Ambush traps
    - Catapults
    - Gliders with stone for ammunition

The Gungans are better suited for open field battles and under-water fights (based on canon evidence).

The Ewoks need terrain to set up their ambush and guerrilla tactics. They also need time to set these up.

I would say that if you drop them fully equipped with their weaponry into a neutral territory regardless of the terrain the Gungans probably have an edge, as the Ewoks cannot take advantage of knowledge of the terrain and set up their ambush and traps.

If the battle is in Naboo, the Gungans have also the edge.

The only way I see the Ewoks kicking the Gungans is if the battle is in Endor within the Ewok controlled territories.

The Gungans are far more interesting as a culture to me than the Ewoks.

8. Isaiah9823

Isaiah9823 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2015
    Ewoks are my favorite, but Gungans would win in a battle.

9. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    The Ewoks were beautiful in their simplicity and plays to the classic role of the primitive winning a war through courage and cleverness, easily besting the enemy reliant on technology. So it was a fitting end to the entire Star Wars Saga. I loved the Ewoks and what they represented. While their culture was nowhere near as explored as it could have been, and the aesthetic was quite simple, but that was necessary to appropriately recognize what they represented.

But The Gungans, it was such a new aesthetic and atmosphere, a city beneath the sea, beautifully realized and brilliant constructed with an inner logic that was executed and worked, you simply believed it. It was one of the most engrossing moments in the saga, even my daughter was fascinated by it, that's just how powerful the concept of an underwater city is. As a species it was well designed and not only existed well with the saga we had know up to that point, but it also played into the logic and culture, all necessary to make us believe in this universe. Definitely the Gungans are my favorite of the pair, if only because it was able to be realized, and was such a unique atmosphere I has never imagined in Star Wars before.

Iron_lord likes this.