main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ewoks vs stormtroopers

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by smellyouvediscovered, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smellyouvediscovered

smellyouvediscovered Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2004
    is there any way to justify the ewoks triumph over the stormtroopers? i mean, i give the gungans a better shot and they would only last 5 minutes. were the STs getting old?

2. Jolt-Cola

Jolt-Cola Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 27, 2002
    To answer your question: no, there is not.

When you take Palpatines line about the "legion of his best troops" into consideration, you can not possibly find an acceptable excuse for the Troopers losing it out to some ridicilous furballs.

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Why could the ewoks win?

1. They were defending someone they thought to be a god...a bit more motivation.

2. They knew the land well, home town advantage!

3. They planned it out, it was a perfect ambush.

4. They had the help of the rebels.

5. The Imperials were so suprised they could do little.

6. The Ewoks did not really do much besides provide a distraction so that Han and Leia could destroy the shield generator, once that blew the Imperials were pushed into chaos and could do nothing.

-Seldon

4. smellyouvediscovered

Jun 3, 2004
    seldon, that was a comprehensive,well thought-out, intelligent objection. OVERRULED

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Seldon's right. Plus, there were absolutely tons of the little guys running all over the place.

It's not always the guys with the best weapons and shiniest armour that wins the battle.

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Which, of course, is not only true of the battle between the Ewoks and the Empire, but of the battle between the Rebellion and the Empire as well. The Empire was massive, organized, and had all new equipment. The Rebels were small, unorganized (by comparison), and had to forage for old equipment to use.

And yet the Rebels still won.

7. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Ah yes, so midgets with stone age weapons can defeat the Emperor's personal elite guard?

8. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    This question about this dern battle has bugged me ever since I first saw the Battle of Endor in ROTJ.

You're correct, there is no way that this legion of Palps' best men could have lost a battle to the Ewok forces, had it been a standup fight where the Stormtroopers and AT-ST's knew that the Ewoks were coming to engage them. If this were the case, there would be no Rebels capturing and destroying the bunker at all.

But if you take into consideration the fact that the Imperials believed that there were no other hostiles that were attempting to attack them at this moment other than this captured Rebel strike team, they were definately open to a surprise attack, as someone said earlier. I mean, what good are all those Imp weapons if they're not even pointed in the right direction?

Another explanation could be the standard Vietnam analogy. The Imperials in a sense are the United States, fighting in a place where they are not trained to fight, i.e. the dense Endor forest against 3-foot teddy-bear warriors. They were clearly unacustomed to jungle warfare, and to top it off, you had those Ewoks running all over the place making things in the woods around that bunker a might bit confusing.

I think this scene would have been really cool if the Rebels actually had landed another, much larger force of commandos and surprised the Imperials around the bunker with that. I think that this would be a lot better; having the best Rebel legion against the best Imperial legion, with a few angry Ewoks for flavor, but I think George went a little overboard with the use of the Ewoks.

Your friendly Death Star Designer,

Lem

9. smellyouvediscovered

Jun 3, 2004
    i like the idea of another rebel force landing later to help out. it just bugs me that the climactic land battle is highly questionable.

10. EH_Pilot

Dec 12, 2003
    "they were definately open to a surprise attack"

Suprise goes only so far. That'd probably last about 5 minutes at most. But why were those AT-STs randomly marching around in the background doing?

"I mean, what good are all those Imp weapons if they're not even pointed in the right direction?"

And it only takes a second to turn them around.

"They were clearly unacustomed to jungle warfare,"

You're right. But they were fighting in a forest.

"you had those Ewoks running all over the place making things in the woods around that bunker a might bit confusing."

And there was no need for the Imperials to disperse like hyper-active children when the Rebels were staying back at the bunker. In fact, why did the Imperials not gun down the Rebel commandoes or at least bind them in some way? If the Empire was suppoused to anihalate the Rebels at Endor, why bother capturing them?

11. smellyouvediscovered

Jun 3, 2004
    EH u and i are on the same page. worst thing about the OT IMHO

12. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I don't like the way people ignore the fact that until Chewie & co. stole an AT-ST, the Ewoks were getting their furry butts kicked by viscious crossfire from AT-STs. Only after they're motivated by the heist to they find the right traps for the AT-STs.

13. smellyouvediscovered

Jun 3, 2004
    remember what the clones did to the federation droid army. we're talking about ewoks here. and yes, i think theyre still clones by ROTJ. they dont sound loke individuals.

14. EH_Pilot

Dec 12, 2003
    Maybe the Emperor's personal guard, but not standard Imperial army and stormtroopers.

How large is a legion anyway?

15. Jolt-Cola

Jolt-Cola Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 27, 2002
    A legion is usually the biggest group of troops in an army (at least it was in the Roman empire).

The thing that bugs me the most with the Ewoks and the battle is how much better it would've been if the ewoks would've been wookies as originally intended. There was no reason to bring another furry creature to the Star Wars saga (except to make money of course) and the wookies would've gotten better explained. I know we'll see Kashyyk in Episode 3 but just think about what it could've been like.

A wookie army ripping Stormtrooper hands is a lot better than a 3-feet tall squirrel throwing stones and sticks at them.

16. DarthSylvanus

DarthSylvanus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2004
    It also makes me think hard on how troops dressed in shiny white armour in jungle/forest regions manage to survive at all! They may be the emperors elite, but had the Emperor never heard of camoflague!

17. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    I agree with the previous poster who stated basically that the Imperials acted like a bunch of clowns when the Ewoks attacked. It's pretty unforgivable that Han and company, unarmed, were able to overwhelm their more numerous and firearm-toting captors, reclaim their weapons, and take cover around the bunker.

The rebels landing another strike force would have been sweet, but I don't know if it would have been possible with the Death Star shooting down ships and the rebel fleet engaged with the Imperial one. Any landing force would have had a heck of a time trying to get down to Endor.

As to the camoflague issue, the rebels are no better. Yes, all the humans in the strike team have on camoflague (even black-wearing Luke), but they blow the whole point of camoflague by bringing two shiny droids on the mission.

18. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    I never understood the no-camo for droids idea. How stupid can the alliance be?

19. General_Kor

General_Kor Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2004
    I guess even in the OT they didn't want the droids to be utilitarian in appearance.

20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The thing that bugs me the most with the Ewoks and the battle is how much better it would've been if the ewoks would've been wookies as originally intended. There was no reason to bring another furry creature to the Star Wars saga (except to make money of course) and the wookies would've gotten better explained. I know we'll see Kashyyk in Episode 3 but just think about what it could've been like

What it would have been like? It would have been like the Holiday Special, IMO. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to sit through the last half of ROTJ hearing constant Wookiee moans.

Also, I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to find people to actually play the Wookiees. Little people are easier to find and hire for the job than tall people. So, I'm guessing Lucas took that into consideration.

21. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    What I don't understand is why didn't the Imps at some point bombard the planet or just annhilate it when the battle was going against them.

22. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Would it really be that hard to find a bunch of really tall people? Peter Mayhew isn't some one-of-a-kind mutant. Just recruit an average college basketball team, and bam, you've got a bunch of tall guys (most probably well over six feet) to be Wookies. Plus, as the Lord of the Rings films showed us, lots of tricks can be played with props and camera perspective to make us believe certain people are really tall or really short.

23. ZX-34122

ZX-34122 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2004
    How would the Ewok's rocks and sticks even hurt the Stormtroopers? They might startel (?) and knock them over but it wouldnt kill them or knock them out it should bounce off the armor and not damage the armor at all.

As for the Empire destroying Endor, they couldnt, it would destroy the Sheild Generator and leave DSII (which was unfinished and hardly as invulnerable as it was gonna be when it was done) wide open for Rebel attack and kill the Emperors leigon of his finest troops.

24. smellyouvediscovered

Jun 3, 2004
    reminds me of pippen and merry throwing pebbles at the uruk-hai and knocking them down. retarded

25. Kristyne_Skywalker

Kristyne_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2004
    Yeah I know rocks and sticks against blasters and AT-STs?!?!?!? I was always puzzled about the Rebels' win at Endor.

Also there is a perfectly logical explanation for destroying Endor...The shield generator was already down and it was a desperate attempt to destroy what life and Rebels they could. And to cause a big explosion. It was in the novelization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.