main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Ewoks, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Chainmail_Jedi, Feb 11, 2013.

?

Ewoks, Yay or Nay?

1. Yay

67.9%
  2. Nay

34.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Even today, I don't really have a problem with the Ewoks. Wicket was adorable when I was a kid, and later learning Warwick Davis was just a child himself in '83 explained some of that.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    Wookies would have been better and if they did it in the Holiday Special what's to say ROTJ (with a bigger budget and a little bit more of creative imput by GL) couldn't have pulled it out.

But....I dont mind Ewoks. I like them.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    When I was a kid the age divide was around 10 years old.. under 10 you loved the Ewoks more than life - over 10 and you tolerated their presence (and in some cases disliked). I was on the older side of the equation. The feeling was (and is) that Ewoks would have been far more acceptable if they didn't defeat "an entire legion" of the emperor's "finest troops."

4. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Yay. For the moment, let's set aside the decades worth of EU, interviews, etc., and look at the Ewok evidence presented solely in ROTJ.

From the start, IMHO, they were never presented solely as comic relief. It makes sense that when you have a species both smaller than the average humanoid and evolved within a specific environment, that they're going to be able to use said environment to best effect against an invading force. The very first scene where Wicket sneaks around the Scout Trooper made sense to me, because A. Wicket is naturally camoflagued and B. able to maneuver better.

(Seriously, who wears black and white armor to a forest environment? And armor has natural gaps. If spears or arrows don't penetrate a chestplate, aim for the neck or joints. It's not such a stretch to consider that an "inferior" force might overcome a technologically advanced one.)

The village scene, where Luke uses the Force, is another example. The Ewoks were going to eat their captives. It's all the more unsettling now because they were cute. True, applying deep thought to the scenario means that Luke likely would have freed the others, but at a terrible cost to the Ewoks and maybe Team Skywalker - sometimes being in real control of a situation means watching, waiting, and analyzing. Jedi don't slaughter furballs, they try and make friends first.

Back to the EU: The Essential Guide to Warfare pretty clearly lays out that the Ewoks were more in charge of the situation than ROTJ presents. And while Imperial arrogance about the "primitives" isn't evident in ROTJ, there are several EU examples where the Empire considered the Ewoks not worth the trouble of containing/otherwise confronting.

Even before that, there are plenty of examples of Ewok courage and determination in the EU (Kolot, the Ewoks manning that weapon emplacement in, IIRC, Dark Empire). They aren't just teddy bears, they're warriors.

5. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    I never minded the Ewoks at all and the backlash they get I think is tiring. They're not even really that cute when you think about it, they were going to eat Luke, Han and Chewie, not exactly kiddie stuff.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  6. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    And they were losing the battle, people. Quick thinking and some Corellian trickery carried the day.

7. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    I'll go with yay. They legitimately fought the battle. They didn't win by some crazy luck or something. They're pretty cool and I did liike them as a kid. Heck, I still like them now. Celebrate the love, yub nub!

8. Jeff McKissock

Jeff McKissock Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 11, 2012
    I like the Ewoks and have no beef with them. I never understood the bad rap they get (but that's just me)

Bob Octa, FRAGWAGON and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I like the idea of the Ewoks that a primitive species can help make a stand but it's the handling I don't like. The potential of human sacrifice and worship of what could basically be a golden idol due to Luke's playing on their fears. No, thanks.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    A part of me would kinda like to see a much darker take on the Ewoks with them eating their prey. I think it could be fun to see as part of a twisted spin-off story.

11. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    I like Ewoks, I really do. The problem is when the battle comes in. I would have at least like to see a stormtrooper able to withstand an Ewok on his back instead of crashing to the ground. Sure they know their terrain better and have other tactical advantages, but come on. Stormtroopers are cannon fodder in the OT. Its like they're there, purely for the purpose of being killed.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  12. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    NAY.

And I find it funny that so many OT purists hate on Jar Jar and the Gungans for being too "kid-friendly," but completely defend the concept of an army of cute teddy bears being able to defeat the Empire.

Completely ironic.

13. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Nay, because there is no way a stone-headed spear can be that effective when thrown at such a low velocity.

14. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I just like to sit in Star Wars movies yelling "NO WAY!" at every scene.

Bob Octa, Gamiel and Sarge like this.
  15. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Love them. Love ROTJ, love the cartoons, love the spin-off films. Yub yub.

FRAGWAGON and Iron_lord like this.
  16. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Yay. I absolutely love that our heroes are brought together with a tribe of animist warrior teddy bears in order to defeat the Empire. Hence my signature.

Allayloo ta nuv!

Jedi Knight Fett and FRAGWAGON like this.
  17. Jessie1111

Jessie1111 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2014
    Yay. A pride of Wookies ripping storm troopers apart would have been more than I could have take as a child.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  19. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    Never had a problem with them back in '83 and I don't recall many other people having an issue with them back then either.

I'm all for a Yay... Static eyed ones and not the blinking buggers from 2011.

20. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    They are fine.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  21. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    They need to bring them into the senate with slicked back hair and business suits

Sarge and FRAGWAGON like this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Ewoks of Wall Street

Ewok Poet, fuzzbox77 and Odolwa like this.
  23. AkshayTheJedi

AkshayTheJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2013
  24. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Yay. Forever.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  25. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I like them and never really had any issues with them. I would be more than alright with some Ewoks in the ST, even if they're just background characters.