main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Ewoks, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Chainmail_Jedi, Feb 11, 2013.

?

Ewoks, Yay or Nay?

1. Yay

67.9%
  2. Nay

34.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Garra

Garra Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    Nay for me. They did help, but only because they thought C-3PO was a "golden god".

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That wasn't the only reason - in the RoTJ novelization the Rebels give speeches with reasons for the Ewoks to help them (Han's is heartfelt if a bit inarticulate)- and, after much discussion, the Ewoks agree.

Thuro, Ewok Poet and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  3. Garra

Garra Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    You're right again. Man, you know you're Star Wars.

4. YourGoulden

YourGoulden Jedi Padawan

Feb 11, 2014
    I would have to say yay for the Ewoks. While the parts of the battle we see onscreen do appear very embarrassing for the Imperials, I would argue that in such and actual battle the Ewoks' sheer numbers and the environment of the fight would help to overcome the fact that trained, armored, well equipped soldiers were taken out by primitive teddy bears. There is also the issue of numbers for the Imperials. The Empire would definitely have anticipated the Alliance landing some sort of commando squad and I think the amount of soldiers they hand stationed on Endor could have prevented such a squad from succeeding. However, with the help of hundreds of allies, that squad could overcome the forces and infiltrate the base. The Ewoks may not have been deadly but they were nothing if not distracting.

5. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

What did Han say to them? I'm curious.

6. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
  7. WAC-47

WAC-47 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2014
    NAY!

We're all used to the Ewokz so they aren't painfu to watchl, but it could have been done a thousand times better.

If it was Wookies (big, violent, limb tearing Wookies) it would of worked perfectly with the Emperor's trap.

Chewbacca could have been separated from the group instead of Leia, and when the Emperor sprung his trap, the Legion of his best troops, and all hope was seemingly lost for our small band of rebel heroes, Chewbacca could have arrived Rohan style with a legion of his own. It would have represented the Emperor's blunder better, made for a more realistic battle and outcome, would of been a lot cooler, would of given Chewbacca a great moment, and the strength of the Wookies was established two movies earlier with the warning to C3-PO and R2-D2 about letting Wookies win.

Yanksfan likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

After Threepio's told the story of the Rebellion up to this point:

Threepio
    "Chief Chirpa says it's a very moving story. But it really has nothing to do with Ewoks."

Han
    "Tell them this, Goldenrod- "
    "Tell them it's hard to translate a rebellion, so maybe a translator shouldn't tell the story. So I'll tell 'em."
    "They shouldn't help us 'cause we're asking 'em to. They shouldn't even help us 'cause it's in their own interest to - even though it is, you know - just for one example, the Empire's tappin' a lot of energy out of this moon to generate its deflector shield, and that's a lot of energy you guys are gonna be without come winter, and I mean you're gonna be hurtin' … but never mind that. Tell 'em, Threepio."
    "But that's not why they should help us. That's why I used to do stuff, because it was in my interest. But not any more. Well, not so much, anyway. Mostly I do things for my friends, now - 'cause what else is so important? Money? Power? Jabba had that, and you know what happened to him. Okay, okay, the point is - your friends are … your friends. You know?"

9. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Cool, thanks for posting that! I kinda like Han struggling with the words, and the sentiment was nice.

MOC Yak Face and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Green Gogol

Green Gogol Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 11, 2014
    Yea for me. I don't think it would have worked at all with wookies. First, it would have turn the Endor battle into a bloody mess. Much too serious and violent for Star Wars. That scene would have been better suited to Saving Private Ryan. Then how would you explain that they choose to build their shield generator on a planet inhabited by violent trigger happy psychotic hairy giants ready to rip your arms out of their socket if you breath the wrong way?

And the Ewoks don't win the battle. Not at all. They knock down a few stormtroopers, destroy 2 AT-ST with some clever traps and that's about it. In fact, the battle is done and lost except for Chewie that manages to capture an AT-ST. The whole point of the ewok attack was to draw the bulk of the stormtroopers away from the bunker, to sacrifice themselves for a chance to destroy the shield generator.

Thuro, Force Smuggler and Iron_lord like this.
  11. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Looking back, I can totally see why people would be upset about Ewoks. The mighty empire brought down by cute comic relief. Hell, even Episode 1 made it clear that the Gungans were outmatched and could only win on a fluke.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Without the Ewoks we never would have gotten Kettch and Yub Yub Commander. When we get as great a Gungan joke (Jar Jar doesn't count) as Kettch and Yub Yub Commander then we can talk about the Gungans

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. SarlacsDinerParty

SarlacsDinerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2014
    Yay... gotta love em !

Thuro and Iron_lord like this.
  14. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    Yay! I mean....Yub nub!

Force Smuggler and Iron_lord like this.
  15. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    I have grown to appreciate the Ewoks in the same way that I have grown to appreciate Short Round. Jar Jar may take a little more time, however.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. DahJediMan

DahJediMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2014
    Nay. They kinda annoyed me.

17. yodafan1031

yodafan1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    How did just a few (relatively) untrained farmers beat the world's best military with the best training and weapons (American Revolution). The answer is that the British military was so over confident with their ability and training and equipment, that they considered the American militia as not even close to a threat. They also "knew" their strategy (the firing lines) was the way to win a war. However, the Americans had gotten a chance to really know the land. The Americans weren't tied down to an antiquated strategy--they used guerrilla tactics to sneak around and attack the British troops where it hurt. Add to that the Americans had the hugest motivation for winning. Home and family.

Sound familiar?

Yay.

18. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003
    To the people who say nay to the ewoks, I say to the people who have a probelm with the ewoks that they were introduced to appeal to a younger demograhphic: move on and grow up and always realize that Star Wars are movies made for families and people of all ages!

19. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    Han's speech was great. Thanks for posting it, Iron_lord. It reminded me of what I have always believed the theme of ROTJ to be. Having faith in your friends.

20. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    @yodafan1031 and @Padmes_love_slave24, I agree that the idea of the Ewoks has every right to be there, both in in-universe terms of a powerful military succumbing to hubris and in real-world terms of there being kid appeal in Star Wars. But the visuals of the Ewoks defeating stormtroopers with sticks and rocks are just so unconvincing and embarrasing, I had to vote nay. The problem is the execution.

21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Based on the stormtroopers' ineptitude in the first two films, I'd say it's unsurprising that they had their white, plastic tooshies handed to them by a bunch of teddy bears.

Yay!

Thuro, FRAGWAGON and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    The video quality is horrible, but Barney Stinson explains it.

[media]

cubman987 likes this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Yay and please, more. @};- As somebody from a supposedly "backwards" place, I always stuck to them and they introduced me to drawing and love of animated films, special effects and fiction in general. Not even kidding here.

FRAGWAGON and Thuro like this.
  24. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Yay for sure. Still hoping for a Jedi Ewok in Episode VII.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    You are basically retelling some of my fantasy here, since ROTJ didn't make the use of any of the two notably Force-sensitive Ewoks at all and focused on Wicket instead, because Warwick Davis was impressive for his age and all...