CT Ewoks, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Chainmail_Jedi, Feb 11, 2013.

?

Ewoks, Yay or Nay?

Yay 141 vote(s) 67.8%
Nay 73 vote(s) 35.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaronaman Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Well I agree with you when you said the Ewoks mostly 'distracted' the Imperials....I mean you can't get more distracted than being killed?? They had also taken down AT-STs before Chewie had borrowed his so for you to say they wouldn't have taken out the others is confusing to me?

The Empire hadn't just turned up on Endor so the Ewoks had plenty of time to establish a lot of traps, especially seeing the AT-STs had a very limited place to walk it wouldn't have been hard to ambush them.

Had the Ewoks not shown the Rebels the back door the battle would have been over before it began....this act can't just be flipped off as a non-event. Han would never have had the chance to out smart the Imperials in the first place if it wasn't for those furry little buggers.
    Andy Wylde likes this.
  2. darth ladnar Force Ghost

star 3
    I agree with you. This is one of keys, and without this info about the backdoor, the rebels would've lost, and the Ewoks were responsible for giving this info. So, again, I agree that without the Ewoks (and the decisions made by Han and by Chewie), the rebels couldn't have won. My main point is that the Ewoks didn't defeat the Imperials in battle. I also agree that they took out many AT-ST's and many troopers, but IMHO, all the Imperials outside wouldn't have been defeated without Chewie getting in one of the AT-STs. And there were still Imperials who were safely protected behind the doors of the back door entrance, and if Han hadn't outsmarted the Imperials, then they wouldn't have gotten in. So, I think we're pretty much in agreement.
    DarthBoba and Aaronaman like this.
  3. Ambervikings91 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I loved them as a kid so I'm fine with them now, however I think as an adult if I saw them now without having more of a predisposition to liking them I wouldn't really be a huge fan.
  4. Team Padme Force Ghost

star 4
    I voted for yay, I really like them.
  5. darth_mccartney Force Ghost

star 2
  6. AkshayTheJedi Jedi Master

star 1
  7. Obi-Wan21 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yay! The Ewoks are adorable, fuzzy and incredibly violent warriors! Come on!
    Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. OldSchoolFan Jedi Master

star 1
    I'm not voting as I hated them when I first watched ROTJ but I've warmed to them over the years...so it could be a yay or it could be a nay........but I still would haved loved Wookiees instead but the little fuzzballs are a big part of the Star Wars universe and unless Uncle George totally cgis the second half of Jedi to wipe them from our minds then I'm afraid we'll all just have to put up with them!!!
  9. SweetZombieJesus Jedi Master

star 2
    The idea of what they stood for, fine, it's an archetype.

The fact that they're teddy bears, <vomit>
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
  11. Randwulf Crescentmoon Force Ghost

star 4
    Would Star Wars be better without Ewoks?

Hhmmm...

Ya know...I look at Ewoks as being as much of a staple in Star Wars as Wookies or any of the other mainstay characters for that matter. George Lucas-genius that he is-seized upon broadening the demographic through art, science, future-tech, a gripping story, and yes even adorable creatures such as the "teddy bear" Ewoks.

Now...to have someone direct a story and incorporate characters that can "pull at your heart strings", so to speak...that takes the movie experience to a whole new level of awesome...especially if it's done in a non-depressing fashion...

I think Ewok, and it reminds me of cartoons that I grew up watching like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Biker Mice From Mars, Cowboys and Mumaysa, Might Ducks, Looney Tunes, etc.

George Lucas thought about his dog when he came up with the idea for Chewbacca...

...and that's what Star Wars is about, isn't it? I mean...if we couldn't draw any semblance of reality from our own lives to put into the Star Wars Universe, would it mean as much to us individually as it does?

Ewoks? I vote Yay... ^:)^
    Ewok Poet and Seagoat like this.
  12. MOC Yak Face Old Films' Curator

Manager
    star 4
    I like what George is saying with the Ewoks, so yay.

... can't believe I just said that...
  13. FRAGWAGON Force Ghost

star 4
    Hell yes Ewoks. Love the little man-eaters.
    Andy Wylde and rumsmuggler like this.
  14. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
  15. Star Wars age 9 Jedi Padawan

star 1
    Why couldn't LucasFilm afford Wookies instead?
    Seriously now.
    How could THEY not have the budget - on the 3rd Star Wars film?
  16. squir1y Force Ghost

star 2
    Sounds strange, but I was on the fence about the Ewoks until I watched the old cartoon... I actually like it better than the Droids one. I say Yay!
  17. Charlie512 Jedi Master

star 1
    They (almost) ruined the third act for me. It really sucked seeing an epic battle between Vader and Luke and then cutting to teddy bears stomping the Empire's finest. Huge face palm and roll eyes. The only thing that salvaged the movie was after Vader's turn. That stuff was awesome.
    Star Wars age 9 likes this.
  18. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    Man flesh eating mini wooks are always a good time.
    Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Jordan1Kenobi Host of EUC Battle of... Games

Game Host
    star 6
    Yay. I thought they were a great addition to ROTJ, and I liked Wicket, Logray, Chief Chirpa, Paploo and a couple of other Ewoks.
    Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. LittlestEwok Jedi Padawan

What is not to yay about them? They're cute, they're furry, they're dangerous, but they're also compassionate. And the Ewok on the ST bike was hilarious.
  21. Rachel_In_Red Jedi Grand Master

star 3
  22. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    Haven't seen the cartoon series or Ewok spin-off movies yet- but I liked the Ewok comics.
  23. sith_rhino Force Ghost

star 1
    I am OK with them in principal, and as other have mentioned, some of the scenes with them (stealing the bike, the one dying in battle, I also love that they thought C3-PO was a god and wanted to serve the others in a feast in his honor) but the battle fairly ruins them, for me. If I had been younger when I first sat this (I was 14) I might feel differently, but the battle did make the stormtroopers look like a bunch of incompetent boobs. If they had shown the battle more in the stormtroopers' favor, with the Ewoks successfully delaying and distracting the stormtroopers rather than actually winning, and fairly easily (at least that how it appears to me) then I would be totally fine with them.
    Sarge likes this.
  24. sith_rhino Force Ghost

star 1
    Me either. I would like to check them out.
  25. Darth_Arapsis Jedi Knight

star 2
    In the EU. yay, but they felt out of place in ROTJ.
    Last edited by Danj, Jun 5, 2013