main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ewoks

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SithLord-Will, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    Most RotJ defenders say that the reason that the Ewoks fought so well against the Imperials, is the fact that they use Gorrila warfare tactics, something that Stormtroopers are never trained to handle, and that the Trooper armor was meant to protect against blaster shots, and weren't designed for blunt forces. But something just crossed my mind as I was watching it.

In the camp scene, when the Ewoks are about to Cook our beloved heros, they're all hung on a pick, and held up by only two Ewoks, this is true even for Chewy, this made me think about something, how strong are the Ewoks? What if the creatures were exceptionally strong for their size? This would further increase the effectiveness of their blunt warfare. There stout frames does support this theory...

2. Darth_Trump

Darth_Trump Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2004
    I wouldn't be surprised if they were stronger than they appear. They seemed pretty powerful when lifting full size humans and wookies.

3. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    hell, why didn't I ever notice that? :p

4. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    I think that was just a technical flaw. Han easily jerked the spear away from his face when agitated.

I like the idea though. In a lot of the pre production artwork, the Ewoks were sleek agile and seemed capable of great speed and stealth. Unfortunetely the illusion doesn't come across well given the natural limitations of the actors who portrayed them.

If any part of the OT needs a revamp, it surely is the Ewoks. Ideas that come to mind are more realistic and longer hair, faster ground speed, better aerodynamics of the arrows and spears flying through the air and some CG work demonstrating a limberness not capable by the actors.

Also eyes that blink would do well. I think the eyes of the trade federation lackeys is a good indication that we may see a lot of blinking eyes in the future of SW. One thing that is fantastic though are the faces of the Ewoks. I have to give Kudos to the guys who designed the head part of the costumes. It is perhaps one of the best elements for the entire series.

5. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    That is a good point, but maybe it wasn't the fault of the strength of the Ewok, but of the strength of the Spear, they're not all that well made, and the Ewok wouldn't want to break it's only weapon...

6. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    I like hw everyone always makes fun of the Ewoks, but they forget one important fact:

Those cute little teddy bears were going to EAT Luke, Han and Chewy.

I'd be glad they were on the Rebel's side. It kinda makes you wonder what happened to all of those defeated Stormtroopers...

7. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    The Ewoks are just fine the way they are.

Their fur is completely realistic, but only is you've seen real life animal before I suppose.

Ans so what if the troopers get knocked down? The truth is that only one trooper is ever shot by an arrow, and there is no reason to assume that the troopers felled by rocks are anything but stunned.

As for the Ewoks being "primitive", one word: Hanglider.

8. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    I think the answer lies in the ROTJ novel. The movie had limitations in terms of cast, but in the book, there were literally THOUSANDS of the little guys.

AND they were very stong for their size.

9. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    like hw everyone always makes fun of the Ewoks, but they forget one important fact:

Those cute little teddy bears were going to EAT Luke, Han and Chewy.

I'd be glad they were on the Rebel's side. It kinda makes you wonder what happened to all of those defeated Stormtroopers...

This is what I've been saying for years. The ewoks are the top of the food chain on Endor. They're horrible little flesh eating mongrels, with big pointy teeth and claws designed to rend and tear out the flesh and bones of their prey. They're, like, a jillion times worse than that rabbit in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

10. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
  11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Gorilla War Tactics? I didn't see them standing on their huts, snatching for TIE fighters :p

It wasn't really guerilla tactics, too. They just jumped on them and were more of an annoyance to the stormtroopers (with the arrows and rocks), than anything else.

Also, and I just realized that tonight watching it with commentary, the Ewoks don't put up much of a fight against the Stormtroopers. In most of the battle, they lose (get shot down by AT-STs, dragged along, etc.) and can only distract the troopers from shooting the Rebels. Only nearing the end they do some damage (using cut-down trees).
    Which is nice.

12. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Long Live Corpsey the Ewok!

ummmm,,,wait a minute,,,

Stay Dead Corpsey the Ewok!

13. YPL

YPL Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2004
    Long Live Corpsey the Ewok!

ummmm,,,wait a minute,,,