main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ewoks

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by tobbs, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobbs

tobbs Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    Why does everone hate Ewoks? Okay i knwo they were a little chiledish, but the worked much better than the gungans. I knwo a climactic battleove coruscant ewould have been cool, but i think endor works better, it sets up a beutiful contrast to the death star. A machine of destruction contrasting with a planet full of life and peaceful inhabitants, personally i think the humor worked well too. If there had been a huge battle with the rebels only they probably would not have won, part of the reason for their victory. THe emperor and imperials would have not undestimated a rebel army and they would have been trn to peices. The ewoks caught the emperor off guard. Ewoks may have been chilish but if fit one of the themes of the trilogy, the power of will, nature and freedom can outdo the most deady technology.

2. DarthMalifluous

DarthMalifluous Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2002
    I think one of the problems people have with the Ewoks is that for the first time they feel like a forced marketing decision. It's almost as if you can sense the avarice on the part of GL in their creation - "Cute, cuddly. I'm going to sell lots of these". Anyways, that's my perception and I could be wrong.

3. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    I think one of the problems people have with the Ewoks is that for the first time they feel like a forced marketing decision. It's almost as if you can sense the avarice on the part of GL in their creation - "Cute, cuddly. I'm going to sell lots of these". Anyways, that's my perception and I could be wrong.

Your perception is perfect.
    There is nothing wrong.
    Your statement is exactly the same as one I was going to make.

George Lucas put the Ewoks into the films because he wanted his daughter to have a stuffed ewok toy to play with. And GL knew that she would get one because the marketing people and the toy companies also knew that they could sell a bajillion of them to kids. Because they were cute and cuddly.

When something like the Ewoks are added into a film, not because they'll make the film better or more interesting butfor the exclusive reason that they would make a great toy, then it's a small wonder the fans dislike them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.