main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Exactly How Did Darth Maul Know to Look on Tatooine to Find the Queen/Jedi?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Darth_Virgo_97, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Virgo_97

Darth_Virgo_97 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2004
    If this question has been asked, please lock or cancel this one.

I remember Qui-Gonn Jinn mentioning any transmissions would be bait to establish a connection trace. He also instructed Obi-Wan not to let ANYONE send any transmissions.

My question is, how was Darth Maul able to locate them on a remote planet such as Tatooine if no one sent messages? Did someone send a message back to Naboo or to Coruscant? Did I miss something? Again, if posted, I'm sorry! I've always wondered how this happened! THANKS!

2. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I think he plotted their most likely location given their direction and quadrants. and then planned to do a search of each surround planet and go lucky the first time

3. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    He also used the Force.

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    A connection trace means they trace the connection made when the Naboo ship downloads the message.

5. Darth_Virgo_97

Darth_Virgo_97 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2004
    Thanks guys, I never thought about it like that! I just assumed they would need to send a reply but everything you've said makes perfect sense!

6. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    I am saying that he used the force and sinced that there was a strong present on the planet...he is trained as a sith and they would be able to pick up other strong force connection like Obi Wan and Qui Gon

7. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    well he said something like "tattooine is vastly populated. if the trace was correct i should find them quickley master"
    so i would guess sidious was able to track the ship. perhaps it being something to do with it being from naboo.

8. KMG-365

KMG-365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    Padme listened to a broadcast from Naboo (I believe it was a message from Sio Bibble). Maul traced where the message was going...all signs pointed to Tatooine ;)

Sio Bibble... another unwitting pawn in Sidious' plans.

9. Darth_Howell_III

Darth_Howell_III Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2002
    Hmm, funny, though, that Jinn specifically says "Don't let them send any transmissions," as if the real danger is in transmitting, not receiving.

Kenobi, after all, allows a message to be played, and he does so in the presence of Panaka (!)... we all know that Capt "You can't take her Royal Highness there" Panaka would not sit still for anything that would put his beloved Queen in harm's way.

Hmmm.... toughie. Maybe there was a bug hidden somewh----

Naaah...

10. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Hmm, funny, though, that Jinn specifically says "Don't let them send any transmissions," as if the real danger is in transmitting, not receiving.

Unless of course the Sith have technology capable of tracing where the transmission was received. Come to think of it, all they would have to do is bribe the right Holonet employee and they'd have access to everywhere that message went, from hyperspace bouy(sp)to hyperspace bouy all the way to the Queen's ship on Tatooine.

11. Darth_Howell_III

Sep 12, 2002
    Well, not quite to the queen's ship... since the bad guys had only narrowed the field to Tatooine, and were anticipating a probe-droid search once they got there.

How did those rascals know that the Queen's ship would still be there when they got there?

How confident could they have been that the ship was stuck there indefinitely... not just laying low pending a prompt departure?

Questions, questions...

12. LORD_MICKOLAS

LORD_MICKOLAS Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2005
    Well he could had felt a disturbance in the force when qui-gon got intouch with anikin.

13. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Well, not quite to the queen's ship... since the bad guys had only narrowed the field to Tatooine, and were anticipating a probe-droid search once they got there.

Well, seeing as how the planet didn't receive the transmission and the ship did, I would still say they traced it to the ship. In doing so they were able to determine it was on Tatooine, but you're right, Maul still had to search the planet.

How did those rascals know that the Queen's ship would still be there when they got there?

It seems overconfidence is a weakness inherent in the Sith :D

How confident could they have been that the ship was stuck there indefinitely... not just laying low pending a prompt departure?

That one is a good question. I don't think they would've known the hyperdrive motivator was damaged. Perhaps they figured since the ship landed on Tatooine and didn't go straight to Corscant there must've been some problem.

14. Darth_Howell_III

Sep 12, 2002

It's almost like... someone was eavesdropping on their conver---

Oops, here comes my boss, gotta go.

15. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    Exactly How Did Darth Maul Know to Look on Tatooine to Find the Queen/Jedi?

Process of elimination. What they didn't show you is the part where he looks all over 200 other planets before he finds the right one.

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.