main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Exam Results

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by Miso_Jace, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miso_Jace

Miso_Jace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2007
    Just thought I'd share it with you lot, I got the results for my new Highers today.
    I left school over 7 years ago, these highers that I did at college were a hell of a gear change for someone who had been out of the education system for so long, but I worked my little tail off.
    The results are ok, but not as good as I'd hoped for:

History - C
    Modern Studies - B
    Psychology - B

I had 2 conditional offers from Strathclyde University to do a degree in English & French, and I've only just fallen short of the entry requirements (althogether I have BBCCC, they wanted AB or BBB), so I have to wait until the afternoon before a final decision can be made about me (they review all the applicants that have a small shortfall & see if they can be fitted in after the ones that made it).

[face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying]

If I eventually don't make it, my next option is trying for the English & french degree at Stirling, it's a lot more travelling, but I meet their entry requirements.

More than anything I'm relieved that it's over, and also shocked that i actually got a B for Psychology, I was so sure it was going to kick my arse! :D

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Congrats [:D]

3. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    eeeech

fingers crossed for you. Do you get an interview, or a written submission, anything in which you can impress them beyond the bit of paper with the Bs and Cs onn it?

Strathclyde might have the slightly better rep, but its a grim city centre concrete tower, compared to Stirling's gardened splendour. In many ways, Stirling could be more enjoyable. And the train trip between there and Glasgow isn'y much really.

4. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    Congrats and well done! =D=

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Congrats, and best of luck :)

6. Miso_Jace

Jun 1, 2007
    Sadly, Strathclyde eventually turned me down. I'm disappointed as I had my heart set on going there, and I thought my personal statement would have swung it despite narrowly missing the grades I needed.

I am in a dilemma now, I can settle for a different area of study at Glasgow Caledonian (I have the entry requirements for their BSc Biomedical Sciences), or I can travel to Stirling or Dundee to do what I really want to do.
    The travelling means I'll most likely be knackered, but I don't really want to concede my choice of subject just to go to a local Uni.

I'm in a pickle. [face_thinking]

Going to be phoning Stirling & Dundee to see if they would definitely be interested in taking me.

The best laid plans of mice & men indeed.

7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
  8. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    well, Glasgow Caledonian /Tech was good enough for me :) and my mickey mouse degree in Communications.....

More recntly, I was also across there doing some NUJ web-journalism courses earlier this year.... and it is very well equipped these days. Cracking study facilities. And biomedical science will always lead to real-world jobs.

However, if your heart is set on languages, well, that's what you should do.

Or, if possible, be a student for longer and do both. Wouldn't be the first person who augmented an arts degree with a science follow-on. If fundin g can be found.

9. Miso_Jace

Jun 1, 2007
    Dundee offered me an unconditional place on their Psychology & English joint degree, so I'm going there. Technically, I shouldn't be getting in because their entry requirements are higher than what I have, but I impressed the head of the psychology department with my mad skillz (patent pending) and he decided that I sounded like I knew my stuff and would do well and said he'd be happy for me to be on the course, hurrah!

10. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    I sense an essay on "Why grown men dress as Jedi Knights, from a Freudian perspective"

11. Miso_Jace

Jun 1, 2007
    Hahaha, I'm so going to do that! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.