main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Excited more for prequels or sequels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 1, 2012.

1. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I was like, three when they announced the PT, so obviously I'm more excited about the Sequels than the prequels.

Though, if I was a fan in my 30s, I'd still be far more excited about the ST than the PT, we will finally get to continue where we left off in ROTJ, and unlike the PT, we don't know how it ends.

Jcuk likes this.
  2. chondi

chondi Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm more excited for the sequels especially now that George may not be as involved as he was for the prequels. Don't get me wrong, being a star wars fan, I'll like probably anything, some maybe more than others. I just feel that George contributed as much as he could. I was really excited for the prequels but am even more so excited because I'm hoping they tell a new story, one that will captivate us as much as the OT. And I'll admit, at the time that the prequels were announced, I waunt following star wars as much as I am now. I guess in a way the prequels got me interested again in star wars.

3. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    As a fan since '77, yeah, sequels all the way.

In future it might be fun to explore the ancient foundations of the Republic, the Jedi Order, Sith Empire, etc., but for now: sequels, sequels, sequels.

4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Old Republic films. Srsly. I want some naga sadow.

Lord_Shame likes this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I was still a kid when I first heard about prequels being made, so obviously that wins out for excitement level. Maybe I'd be able to catch some more old time giddiness if Lucas was going to have a very significant role in making at least one of the new films, but based on all this new generation stuff at the moment I view this the same way as I do the novels, comics, and games.

Short of the Wachowski siblings revisiting the Matrix, looks like Ridley Scott is the main reason I'm significantly intrigued about a couple of upcoming big franchise continuations.

6. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Sequel trilogy. Which isn't to say I wasn't excited about the Prequel trilogy, because I was and still love them. The Prequels gave us a new visual of what a Jedi was, they got my mind thinking of the possibilities of what the post-RotJ SW universe looked like. They prompted me to get into the post-RotJ EU novels (first novel, for me, was DN III: The Swarm War). Now we know we'll get a chance to see for ourselves what the new Jedi Order looks like on the big screen and what Jedi Master Luke Skywalker looks like. If possible, I am definitely more excited about news of the ST, than I was when I heard of the coming of the PT.

7. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    This is interesting! Last time around, most of the folks looking forward to the prequels (at least the ones on this board) were youngsters when the OT came out. This time around, there's fans who grew up with the PT as well as the OT. Now we're all just fans waiting for the next installments. Cool Beans!

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Definitely the Sequels. I grew up with the OT and anything that continues on with that story is a done deal for me.

9. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I think ultimately my excitement will be about equal for both, which is basically off the charts excitement.

But they were both different. With the PT I sort of always knew that someday we would get them one way or the other. Lucas had basically been saying so since the 80s. When he announced it in 1993, it was only confirmation of the expected. It just helped the excitement grow.

With the new sequel trilogy, I am still in such shock even 48 hours later that I don't think I have been able to let that same type of excitement hit me yet. I woke up yesterday morning and this morning trying to make sure I wasn't dreaming about it. Just still disbelief so far. LOL

I think in some ways, this trilogy is going to be a ton of fun to see unfold because it can go anywhere. The PT was confined to story elements that HAD to happen. But in terms of excitement, they are about even.

Actually, I take that back just a bit. For me, the story of Star Wars is the story of Anakin and rise, fall, redemption, and ultimately his death. When he dies, I have always viewed it as the end of the story. I always wanted to see the story about how Anakin became Vader and how the Empire came to be. With the prequels, I could die a happy man with the complete story as a box set on bluray LOL. This new sequel trilogy is not as essential to completing the story as the PT was in a way. Its more like the icing on the cake, cherry on top, or the dessert after the main course. In other wards, the story as Lucas intended is 1-6, anymore are just gravy. Taking all of that into consideration, the PT edges out the ST by a slight margin. But come on, its Star Wars! It's pretty freaking exciting anticipating a new movie no matter which way you slice it.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Sequels. I was 7 when TPM came out, 10 when AOTC came out and 13 when ROTS came out. I don't remember much about the time before the release for TPM or AOTC. I was super excited to see ROTS. I watched the trailers several times, played the game and read the novel.
    I am so excited for Episode XII it's not even funny

11. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Sequels > prequels.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Sequels. For good or ill, the PT is done. It's time to face the future and all those usual stock phrases.

13. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Same for both, even though I saw A New Hope in theaters in 1977. I love me some Star Wars!

14. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I had mixed feelings about the prequels. On the one hand it was more Star Wars, so I was excited. On the other hand I was disappointed since I felt like I pretty much knew what was going to happen in the prequels before I saw them. However when I finally saw the trailer for TPM and there is Qui-Gon and Darth Maul and Jar Jar (and I didn't know any of their names yet) and all these characters that didn't coincide with what I thought I knew was going to happen, it started to get interesting.

With the sequels I can only re-state what someone said earlier about "pioneering into uncharted territory." I think that makes it way more exciting IMO - that I don't have a clue as to what it's going to be about.

lokus likes this.
  15. lokus

lokus Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2004
    I agree with you. While it would be nice to have a sequel based on something from the EU, I would rather have a completely brand new story that doesn't relate to anything already written post ROTJ. It makes sense to make reference to past events but I think it is much more exciting to have a sequel based on new characters, worlds and stories. Why rehash existing stories already in book form in a sequel? Don't we all want to hear new Star Wars stories?

16. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I remember as a kid talking for hours with others about how vader got to be vader, etc and i wanted the prequels for so long

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Definitely the prequels. I still remember this conversation taking place in my living room in late 1998-early 1999 when the famous little-Ani-in-front-of-his-mother's-hovel image appeared in a commercial.

Me: "Is that Luke?"
    My husband: "No, that's Anakin Skywalker. Luke isn't born into Episode III."
    Me: "Holy ****. We actually get to see him grow up?"

I was royally pissed off when I first got the news about Disney buying LFL and making new movies every 2-3 years, thinking that the movies would become mainstream and cliche. Star Wars, for whatever flaws the films have had, has always been original and a bit more of-course than the rest of Hollywood's productions.

But, I've calmed down enough to remember that I've liked most of Disney's recent work, especially Brave. Still not overly excited about sequels though, I'm waiting to see the direction they take with it before I decide whether it's something I'm interested in seeing. I'm hoping I'm proven to be a pessimist.

18. shiny_black_helmet

shiny_black_helmet Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2005
    I was really quite young for all of the prequels, and the OT was obviously before my time (although I did see all of it in its original form a good year or so before TPM came out.) There's really no denying how amazing it was to grow up figuring out the origins of Vader, the Empire, and everything else we know and love from the OT. However, throughout the prequels we all knew where it was going. Anakin would become Vader, Padme would die, the Jedi would be destroyed, and somehow Luke and Leia would come about. From the beginning, very little was actually up in the air. Emotion and excitement still existed, but there were no big surprises, nothing like "I am your father," at least.

With this new trilogy, the future is the most undecided it's been in 30 years. So, while it was great to grow up with the prequels, I think my excitement for this next era is equal or possibly more. It's great to go on a film adventure in the Star Wars universe and have no idea how it ends again. I haven't felt that since I first watched the OT about 15 years ago. Fun times ahead.

19. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    This is a tough one for me. I was hooked into all of this the moment I saw Vader's grand entrance in ANH back in 77 when I was a little boy. I really liked the prequels (especially ROTS), but the idea of going into unknown territory is great! The writers will not have to worry about being painted into a corner. I would have to say that it's equal for me then.

20. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    you old farts like me, remember this and looking at ALL DAY! [​IMG]

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  21. ObiWanandonly

ObiWanandonly Jedi Padawan

Sep 23, 2012
    More excited for these new sequels, because there is more mystery involved. We pretty much knew what was going to happen in the prequels already, but this new trilogy will have a new generation being exposed to the kind of brand-new content that you only experienced if you lived during the first trilogy's release.

lokus likes this.
  22. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Each one will be different in its own way, but Prequels has an edge since I was in college and after the Special Edition came out, and seeing more action figures, it got me back into Star Wars. The Prequels turned out the way they did, which was good, but I wish they had the Clone Wars and introduced Count Dooku/Master Sifo Dyas in Episode I, it would've been better (and not as much Jar Jar).
    I however would be more anticipating the Sequels if the story and acting is good. Can't go wrong with JJ Abrams so it looks like all they have to do is have a good story, show space battles, have Sith or Dark Jedi vs. Jedi, and keep us guessing and anticipated Episode VIII

23. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I'm pretty much in the same starship. (Altho I didn't see Vader's grand entrance in '77 - I was only 3)

It's an equal amount of excitement, yet somehow a different kind of excitement. Before it was the anticipation of how they would get to ANH. This time it's the anticipation of....

Do you see what I mean?

At the end of the day, as many have said, more SW films can only be a good thing and my excitement will run parallel for all of them. Spin offs included.

24. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Definitely the ST without a shadow of doubt. For those of us who grew up with the OT, this is what we've been waiting for since 83! Yeah the back story was all well and good but there was no mystery attached to it. An all NEW Star Wars trilogy! with an all new story to tell!

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  25. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    SEQUELS!!!!

[and maybe a Darth Sidious/Darth Plagueis spinoff, which would technically be a prequel ;) ]