main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Excited more for prequels or sequels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    When did you see the OT? Was it before or after the PT? I'm fascinated by peoples Star Wars stories. :)

2. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with shooting the sith. I'm just saying that if you guys want more objective results you might want to ask this question in a more "neutral" forum. IMHO I think people who are more intererested in the PT spend more time in the PT, those who are more interested in the CT spend more time in the CT, and those who are more interested in the ST would spend more time in this forum. That just makes sense to me. Not trying to start an argument. Simply trying to be helpful.

3. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I honestly can't remember much about when I saw the originals. I think I saw them with my dad around the time I was in 5th or 6th grade. I can't remember much of the specific experience. Its just one of those things you know you saw, you know all the details yet you can't remember a specific date. Its just feels like something you love yet dont know where it came from or where it started *weird I know*. Later when the sequel trilogy came out, I watched them all over again and tried ever so hard to get my little sister *6 years old* to watch it. It was SUCH a fight to get her to watch it. At first she protested saying "Its the worst movie ever! I hate it!" even though she never saw them. After a long battle, I sat her down, put in the original unaltered episode 4, and she managed to watch it. Coarse right afterwards she refused to talk to me and for a couple nights slept in my parents bed cause she was terrified Darth Vader would kidnap her but she quickly got over it and now its her favorite movies ever. She now demands that I buy her all the action figures, buy her lightsabers, all these books and keep her up to date with the movies just cause she loves them soo much. Unfortunatly she got pissed off when she found out Luke *who she calls her boyfriend* is now older. She actually ranted for 10 minutes straight on the sequel trilogy just cause Luke wasn't pretty anymore. Sometimes I wonder whether it was a good thing to show her these films....cause she's such a purist now *she rants on continuity for christ sakes!* and its suprising to hear some of the stuff she talks about since she's only 6. But I guess part of being a Star Wars fan is to pass on the films to a next generation.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  4. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Definitely excited more for the Sequel Trilogy then the Prequel Trilogy. Back in the early 90's, I was hoping Lucas started with 7,8,9 (while Ford, Fisher and Hamil were still young), and then do the Prequels after that. The problem with the Prequel Trilogy is Lucas was hamstrung in the story because he had to have everything fit nicely with the Original Trilogy, plus we all knew what happened to each character. With the Sequel Trilogy, Lucas and Abrams can do whatever they want because it is a continuation of the Original Trilogy story, and they can kill off any character they want, or make any new offspring to any character they want. There is more freedom in Episode 7,8,9 and that is why it will be a much more compelling story, and I think a better trilogy in the end.

Darth Claire likes this.
  5. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Well, I have to say, I was more excited for the prequels.
    The main reason is the story of the prequels. The fall of the Republic and Anakin's turn... I don't think that the ST can outdo that.
    The other reason is that the sequels will be one of many new SW films so my focus probably won't be just on those movies.

6. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Prequels, definitely. 1, 2 and 3 HAD to be made as we already had episodes 4, 5 and 6. If you watch them n order, 1 to 6, you really feel like the story comes to a conclusive ending.

Now I'm sure the sequels will be good and I will be there in the cinema on the opening day to see them, but if we're all being honest, it does just feel tacked on and kind of unnecessary...

Darth_Harmon likes this.
  7. AkshayTheJedi

AkshayTheJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2013
    I'm looking forward to a new story. With the prequels we kind of had an idea how **** would go down. But the fun is in not knowing what to expect.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2

8. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
  9. Dave Hoffman

Dave Hoffman Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2012
    Just purely learning that they were in the works, I would say I was more excited to hear about the sequel trilogy... by a small margin.

15 years after RotJ, I didn't expect to be hearing news of a new trilogy being made, so I was completely excited about it.

After the PT was all over and done with, I really didn't expect anything after it. Although the PT was a box office success, it wasn't that much of a critical success. I read tons of scathing reviews in the past, about the wooden acting, the horrible writing, the artificially bland sets, yada, yada, yada. And then of course with George hearing all of the negative feedback about the PT, and about his constant tweaking of the old movies, "Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?" That was early 2012 when he said that.

So I figured that there would never be any more Star Wars movies any time soon, if at all. That said, hearing the huge news in October 2012 was a complete shock out of left field. So I have to say that I'm more excited for the SQ just because I really wasn't expecting this one.

As for content, I'm easily more excited about the SQ. With the PT, anyone who saw the OT knew exactly where it was going to end up. You knew who wasn't going to die, who was going to die, who the Emperor was, ect. The only real interesting thing to observe was how it was going to get there. It's like watching a sporting event when you already know the final score. Still entertaining, but lacking any drama.

With the SQ, I have no clue about anything that will happen. I like that.

10. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    the PT definately,

I'm not all that excited about this new set of movies, hense why I don't post here often,

it all depends on where they go with it,

I just hope it's a brand new storyline we haven't seen before

and not an adaption from a poular book

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No worries, they already confirmed it wouldn't be an adaptation.

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Although the PT spanned the last bits of childhood/into the beginnings of who I am today (TPM released when I was in the 7th grade, ROTS released a year after I graduated high school), I'm more excited & intrigued for the ST. Why? I can understand/experience/take in all the hype, discussions, etc. better than I did from 1999-2005. Being a bit older helps a lot.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    i was a kid when the PT was released and that definitely colored my excitement for it. i anticipated each prequel the way a toddler would anticipate an impromptu trip to dairy queen (or how i would at my current age, let's be real).

my anticipation for the sequels is a little more mellow and controlled. there's certainly the childlike excitement, but i'm also decidedly more cautious and aware of all aspects of planning and production. my cynicism will keep my local systems in line.

14. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I am excited for the prequels of the prequel Trilogy which is Tales of the jedi/Knights of the old republic. I know its going to happen, but the down side is its not going to happen for a long time! Yoda movie is closer thing to happen faster!

Sequel trilogy is what I am looking forward to right now!

15. Obi Whan Kenobi

Obi Whan Kenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013
    I remember the very very first time I saw Star Wars Eppy 4. I was 5 years old and the experience has still stuck with me. People need to forget trying to recapture that feeling. Its like your very first time having sex. Well for us men its like your very first orgasm, you'll always remember it.

I was more excited about the PT because it was all about the fall of Anakin Skywalker. How can you not be excited about Darth Vader and finally seeing how he became part machine and part man. I was extremely excited to see the Jedi in their heyday in all their glory. Plus we learned more about the sith. The OT barely told us anything at all about the sith, why they do what they do, their powers, capabilities and their understanding of the force. All we ever got in eppy 4 5 6 was be afraid of the dark side, the dark side this the dark side that and if I remember correctly the word "sith" isn't used once the 4 5 6. What makes Star Wars cool and mysterious is the religious conflict between the jedi and sith and the power struggle between these 2 unique set of individuals and their motives and understanding of the way the force works.

All that being said, I'm excited but not overly excited about 7 8 and 9 because I think these movies may just be money making projects for Disney and they won't have a true sole or story to them. I'd be very excited to see and Obi Wan movie where he confront Darth Maul again to protect Luke. But as for 7 8 9, Anakin Skywalker has been redeemed, the sith have been destroyed. Their are some other cool villains in the SW universe but I don't want to see spin off versions of generals grevious wielding double bladed light sabers, or black light sabers, or the energy axs from the clone wars. If their is no religious conflict with the sith or if the sith aren't in 7 8 9 or brought back in some dignified way then really how interesting can the ST be?

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    While not everybody finds the "religious" aspect of SW to be the driving point of interest, I am certainly much more into the facets that you described than I am a fan of the "ragtag" team of Rebels & scoundrels part. Han Solo stopped being the center of my SW universe in 1983. I never had a plastic blaster fight. Lightsabers were it for me.

17. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Exactly, unknown territory. I for one am more excited for these new movies.

18. ARAJediMaster

ARAJediMaster Jedi Knight

May 11, 2013
    Well, I’m going to be as honest as I can without being to inappropriate.

As I kid, I wasn’t all that excited for the prequels at first because I didn’t fully understand what their purpose was. Of course, when I saw Episode I, I was totally stoked because of the Podrace, the fight to free Naboo, and the last battle with the Jedi at the end was good. I didn’t really care much about the Jedi in general—except for Luke and Ben Kenobi from the first films made—but seeing the young Obi-Wan fight and win against Darth Maul made me feel good inside because he had lost his master and he triumphed over it. Now, I can’t forget in “Return of the Jedi” when Obi-Wan told Luke that “I thought I could instruct him [Anakin] as well as Yoda. I was wrong.” But seeing as he was asking Yoda to train Anakin regardless, it makes me think Obi-Wan just wanted to train Anakin at Qui-Gon’s request, not to be as good as Yoda.
    Of course, by Episode II, Obi-Wan is beginning to wish that he should have trained Anakin as well Yoda would have do so. Here, we begin to see how Anakin’s antagonism’s for Obi-Wan are coming into play, notably during their argument in the nightclub when hunting the assassin. Obi-Wan asks Anakin why he doesn’t listen to him, and the Padawan’s response is a tired “I am trying.” Anakin admits that Obi-Wan teaches him well in a conversation with Padmé, but is unhappy that he isn't about to face the Trials as Obi-Wan did. After the death of Anakin’s mother, he blames Obi-Wan for not teaching him to stop people from dying—a desire Palpatine plays upon when Anakin experiences nightmares of his wife dying.
    Now, once again, I loved the big battle at the end of the film with the clones against the droids—and when I heard the Imperial March at the end, I realized then that the Republic was slowly decaying into the Empire, and the clones would become stormtroopers. When Dooku slashed off Anakin’s arm at the end of their duel, I immediately thought of Luke losing his hand like that and I thought “how much is Anakin like is son”.
    By the third film, this is where everything is revealed; Palpatine is really Darth Sidious from Episode I, he’s manipulated both sides of the war, he transforms the Republic into the Empire, and turns Anakin to the Dark Side. In the ROTJ novel, Obi-Wan mentioned that Anakin fell into a molten pit after a tremendous duel. Boy! Was I glad to see that! And seeing Anakin become Darth Vader as well Luke and Leia being born—I didn’t want to see them coming from the womb, gross!—I knew that the story was finally and totally complete.

As for the sequel trilogy, it feels like a violation to me. I don’t see any real symbolism behind it; just a cash grab for entertain-deprived people. The prequels meant something to me—they told the story of how a man can fall to evil, and how one so evil like Sidious could seize control of the galaxy. Then, by watching the originals again, I got a much bigger picture on the final fates of those two people; Vader renounced his evil ways, became Anakin again, and destroyed Palpatine to save the one person he loved; his son, the last tie to his long gone wife. Episodes VII-IX feel like a denial of that symbolism on how those two people; both of them died, but one of them found a better way to live again—through the Force and the ways of the light. Now, I acknowledge Palpatine’s return in “Dark Empire”, even though I haven’t read it. But the point I must emphasize is that these new movies would, as Yoda would say, “Help ‘Star Wars’ you could, but you would destroy all for which they have fought and suffered.” I’ve heard of the Vong invading the galaxy and killing Chewie in the process—that I wouldn’t mind being rid of. Everything else about these future movies, I just don’t see a place where they’d fit in. The prequels fit in nicely with the other three films, but this new trilogy, not so much.
    To me, what happens after ROTJ is quite beautifully explained in the EU, and disregarding them as non-canon would break the hearts of these authors after putting so much work in them. I haven’t read them all yet, but I can understand what these people have gone through, and I want to be an author and filmmaker one day. Disney’s involvement in this seems exclude people from the world of Star Wars rather than integrating them into it. I like to think of having the films and the EU work and live together in perfect harmony. Like I said before, creating and releasing the sequel trilogy will mostly like cause uproar in the Star Wars because of its discontinuity with the EU and misplacement in the film continuity as a whole.
    With the closure of LucasArts a month ago, it truly brought a pang to my heart. The symbol that created such fantastic Star Wars games and stories has just been shut down. If I where in charge of the Disney company, I would have kept it open, let them finish the development of any games they have in development, maybe reorganize it to make it better instead of letting 400 people go out into an economy that isn't doing well. With the development of new technologies and the skills of artists increasing to decrease manpower, I believe that the LucasArts developers could work on multiple projects one time without much hassle. In other words, if one game don’t work out, another one will. In fact, I would have looked on LucasArts as a fallback plan if the movies didn’t go so smoothly. Shutting it down feels to much like a big risk for fans and workers alike.
    In short, while I didn’t mind the prequels being in the Star Wars Saga, I’m not so keen on these upcoming films, just so everybody knows.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ARAJediMaster: Welcome to the forums. While I agree with your sentiments about the role the PT played in bringing the saga full circle, try to be encouraged that we honestly have no idea, whatsoever, what the story of 7-9 will be, so the "symbolism" (as you put it so accurately...) may be as significant in closing out the Skywalker "Fathers & Sons" theme. There are so many potential threads from as far back as Episode I that could potentially require redemption in Anakin's grandkids just as much as with his children. Leia only began to deal with their family's issues in the closing reels of ROTJ. This could be a really significant set of films.

20. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    The prequels. I am expecting the sequels to be better, though.

w4tkn likes this.
  21. w4tkn

w4tkn Jedi Master star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    If you had asked me mid 90s,I would have said the Prequels because we knew Anakin turned to the darkside we also had a pretty decent ending at ROTJ, I would have said and continue to say now - where can the saga go that is meaningful?

And same as Rachel In Red - the sequels will be better, and with having kids of suitable age when they come out, I am most excited for the sequels.

22. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm stupidly optimistic about these films. I'm 42 and probably shouldn't be getting so excited but I really thought we were done as far as films went back in 05.

99 to 05 were great times, I could behave like a big kid again, along with many other like minded people and this new trilogy will have me acting like a juvenile again. I saw the OT in the cinema, the SE editions on opening nights (I'll never forget the roar that went up in the audience when the Fox fanfare started before ANH and nudging my slightly less SW inclined mate and saying "See? Its not just me!") the PT on opening nights, hell even TCW on opening night. The ST will be my first experience of SW in an American theatre (visa permitting) and I can't wait :D

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i was more excited for episode i than just about anything ever, including my first kiss, graduating from college, getting married, and the birth of my children. let's just say that actually seeing episode i has tempered my excitement for subsequent star wars films, lol.

24. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    I'm not in the slightest bit excited regarding these sequel films, the prequels were a bit disappointing and now that Disney'll be the driving force behind these new films any joy for them I had has fizzled out. As my wee guy's a huge SW fan, I know I'll be going to the cinema to see them and my excitement will be seeing the excitement in him as these will be the first SW movie's he'll see in a cinema (as he wasn't even born when ROTS was originally released). The thing I'm looking forward to is seeing how the old OT characters will fit in the new movies.

ARAJediMaster likes this.
  25. L0RD VADER

L0RD VADER Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    The prequels, for the sole reason there was so much mystery and references in the OT... The Clone Wars, the story of Anakin Skywalker...

Sincerely, I am no Prequel basher, I enjoyed every minute of it, but... It would be a serious candidate for a remake.

As for the Sequels...

Well, for me, it is still Caravan of Courage :)

I never consumed EU stuff, so I hope it will be a relevent follow up to Return of the Jedi so it makes sense by only watching the 9 episodes back to back as a whole.

DarthKreVass likes this.