"Execute Order Sixty-six.", said Palpatine to every ARC & CC, I await confirmation from everyone?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Tricky, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tricky Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I know it's something to laugh about, but are we to assume that Palpatine sent out one call to all the ARC's & Clonetrooper Commanders & then patiently waited for a confirmation of the order being recieved by each & every, I'm guesing some 400-700 people, clone that was near a Jedi?

Is there a holomap of galactic positions that he's checking off personally, does he have a staff to recieve the confirmations, exactly how much time is it supposed to take to wait for each call back, a couple days I figure, until Yoda finally shows up & wants to fight him?

RotS, Dark Lord & Order 66:RC make it quite clear that that Ordo, Climber, Cody, Gree & so on are all calling back before they decide on whether to shoot at Jedi or not & all I can imagine is this silly image of Palpatine with glasses on drinking & cup of tea, ticking off CC designations & cackling loudly about how everything is going as he's forseen it. Watching that Robot Chicken call from Vader about the destroyed DS doesn't help things at all.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    I bet he's the one that gave the clones all their silly nicknames.

"Commander Joey, execute order 66..."
    "But sir, my callsign is Shooter."
    "Jedi lies."
    "What?"
    "The Jedi told me your name was Joey. You should kill them."
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Don't forget Palpatine in Clone Wars Chapter 23, sipping tea while Coruscant falls under attack. :D
  4. RebelJoseWales Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Think about it: we already know that he could, and did, clone himself, right? So it stands to reason that he just made 400-700 clones of himself, and with their help did it all at once.

[...]

While he drank tea and worked on the Telos Holocron. :p
  5. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    I personally submit the No-Prize theory Palpatine handled most of these via Droid based Pre-Recorded Message.
  6. sabarte Jedi Master

star 4
    He probably gave personal orders to the clones of those on the Jedi Council, but I bet the rest was a little more automated.
  7. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    I'm of the same opinion as sabs. We only see personal deliveries for Council Jedi and possibly a handful of other really notables. So Palpatine probably personally delivered his orders to his list of, say, top 25 targets before opening things up with a blanket broadcast. That actually makes a certain amount of sense, as letting the clones open up on all Jedi at once is going to create a wave of mass death that could warn anyone whose execution ran into a delay. However, taking out the top targets in advance, one by one, is going to create a lot smaller blip and will give a better chance of catching those Jedi unawares.
  8. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    That actually makes a certain amount of sense, as letting the clones open up on all Jedi at once is going to create a wave of mass death that could warn anyone whose execution ran into a delay.

On the other hand, the simultaneity lessens the incidence of any delay in the first place, whereas stretching it out ensures delay and potentially causes just as much of a warning in the end.

I had thought the order was spread by the clone commanders. The ROTS novel speaks of it being given "once" and then a spreading "wave-front".
  9. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    I think Palpatine just liked giving his orders of execution that personal touch, because that's just the kind of guy he is. ;)
  10. RebelJoseWales Jedi Grand Master

star 3

Actually, in Episode III, when Order 66 is going down, we see Yoda react and put a hand on his chest, then kill the clones about to off him. This seems to indicate that because of a delay, the Grand Master of the Jedi Order, and the person who should be on the top of Palpy's hit list managed to survive because of a delay.
  11. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    Not delay in the receipt, but in the execution. If you give a blanket order, and Obi-Wan's still off with Grievous with no other clones around him, for instance, then it's very likely he'll feel thousands of Jedi deaths and be warned before Cody can axe him. If, on the other hand, Palpatine gives the order perssonally, Cody can say, "We can't get him in our sights right now," and Palpatine can say, "OK, call me when you've got him," and hold off giving the blanket order that would tip Kenobi off. But with only twenty or so Jedi deaths out there, it's far less likely to create a disturbance in the Force; only the exceptionally attuned Yoda, who's having people with decades of connection to him killed, gets any hint of it.
  12. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    Seeing as it's Yoda, I'm guessing he'd have sensed it anyway, even if he didn't already have reasons to be suspicious.
  13. LordNyax113 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yoda holding his hand to his heart was a red herring. He simply had heartburn that day.
  14. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    The staggering I think would feel more natural to a lot of the Jedi, given that they were fighting across multiple fronts across the galaxy. The delay from one to the next just makes it seem like a bad day, while dozens of Jedi falling within seconds of each other could have tipped off those with slower clones.
  15. jSarek VIP

VIP
    star 4
    I seem to recall a similar thread a while back, in which someone posted a quote (I think from the junior novelization) that stated that Palpatine contacted every clone commander personally.

Alas, my google-fu is weak.
  16. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    Actually, this theory sounds as good as any when it comes to EU canon...

Booooooring.

This sounds like a solution. The only 'personal' messages we see in the movie are Yoda and Obi-Wan anyway, and Sidious would go after them meddling wisecracks himself if he had the chance. OK, maybe he prefers playing it safe and would rather not confront them himself, but these are the ultimate high-profile targets: The one being Maul's killer and Anakin's last anchor to the light side, the other 'his little green friend'.

Stass Allie and Aayla get marked via audio transmission, while Plo's clones get a generic visual transmission, so I guess it's pre-recorded or sent simultaneously. Or both. In other words, boring. ;)

If the EU ever offered a personal address from Palpatine to a clone commander who hasn't got a high-profile target, it's artistic license. I guess some authors wouldn't have given it too much thought, just repeating what we've seen on screen.

...and in the end, one could assume that Sidious saved Yoda's death sentence for the end so that the little green guy would have felt the death of the Jedi before meeting his maker. Sidious is just that kind of guy, too. Maybe he even expected to duel a half-broken Yoda ('exactly as foreseen') - clones are very likely no match for him, and what would be a better finale for the fireworks that is the revenge of the Sith than looking Yoda in the eye while killing him?

Or that, of course. :D
  17. Vrook_Lamar Jedi Master

star 4
    Hello, you have reached Supreme Chancellor Palpatine's office. To report the death of a Jedi, press 1...
  18. Mange Force Ghost

star 4
    My guess is that Palpatine personally issued Order 66 when it concerned members of the Jedi Council only. George Lucas stated in an interview for Empire magazine a few years ago that:
    Another thing to remember is that the Commandos and ARCs made up a negligible part of the GAR.
  19. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    The Living Force senario has Palpatine personally targeting one Jedi Knight when Order 66 is issued, albiet one he had a personal interest in.

TC
  20. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    IIRC, another interesting thing was that the Order was sent out using CIS encryption, according to Reversal of Fortune...
  21. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Other Jedi Masters would also have decades of connection to some of their fellows. And I don't think we can say that we know everything about how disturbances in the Force work. In the films it's not always a case of numbers. It seems that stretching out the process could easily produce the same result.

I see no problem with Stover's version.
  22. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Tricky, tell me you don't actuaqlly think he personnaly commed them all, do you?
  23. Tricky Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Not separately no, Like a wideband call to all the ARC's & CC's yeah. I'm still not sure if he stayed in the office making sure all the clones called back to say "Yes sir!" before he had his big fight with Yoda, tho...
  24. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7
  25. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    Though I believe the Reversal of Fortune comic showed Bly getting a hologram transmission. Probably a similar one that the clones received for Plo Koon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.