main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Exiled authors?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ive_Got_Two_Legs, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Have any authors been outright told by LFL after making a Star Wars book that they won't be asked to return to do anything else?

I remember hearing that it was done with one of the NJO authors, but I can't remember who.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I can't imagine it would happen that directly - more like "don't call us, we'll call you".

For that matter, if it did happen, they wouldn't want us to hear about it. :)

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

There are ways, Cooper, but I'll say no more.

These questions you'll only get public relations answers that will either lie or neutrally respond. You'll never know.

4. Havet_Storm

Havet_Storm Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2004
    Whether they've actually been told or not, we can work out pretty easily which authors will never come back.

5. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    *cough*elainecunningham*cough

To be honest, there's never been any kind of public coverage of that sort of thing - but then, that's to be expected. Even if LFL and/or DR wasn't happy with the final product, you generally don't screw somebody over that bad by publicizing something like that; it's bad business.

- Keralys

6. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    Dark Journey was not the worst of the NJO, by a long shot, IMHO. There were a couple of them that put me to sleep, and that wasn't one of them.

7. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    I'm curious what you found worse than DJ? THat was by far the worst IMO; I can hardly even remember the thing, and I've read it two or three times trying to pull something of value out of it... the only ones that are even close IMO are the FH trilogy...

- Keralys

8. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    Actually, I think Cunningham might have been the one I heard about.

9. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    I hated most of Force Heretic III (I and II were fine), and Rebel Stand/Rebel Dream were less enjoyable than DJ. Again, just my opinion.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    You think a publisher would admit such a mistake?

11. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    Tom Hodges has certainly cleared me of any such notions that LFL might.

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    What does that mean?

13. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Who's he?

14. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    It emans that if LFL is so afraid about letting its fans think then there's no way they're going to admit any weakness to them.

15. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003

LFL webstrip artist for hyperspace.

16. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Not directly, but you can get a pretty good idea of whose prior work they were satisfied with by seeing who they commission to write more books. (Or try to commission, in the case of Stackpole; he's simply busy with, well, stuff. Same reason why we haven't seen any significant BattleTech work from him recently either.)

Looking at the NJO, they've brought back Salvatore, Luceno, Keyes, Denning, Allston, and Stover. Ms. Tyers and W. Williams, like MAS, are busy with other projects. Which leaves Cunningham and Williams/Dix who haven't been brought back. For all I know, both are occupied with other projects as well. Or there could be a more sinister reason for their absence, as has been suggested.

Only LFL knows.... :D

17. The_Mandalorian_

The_Mandalorian_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    Whats the gentlemans name that killed off Chewie and started the Vong series? He also wrote the Dark Elf Trilogy.

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    That'd be R.A. Salvatore, who A) wrote another Star Wars novel after that one, and B) was not the one who decided to kill him.

Oh, okay. That's a perfectly valid argument and not reaching at all. :rolleyes:

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I still don't get what Hodges has to do with it.:confused:

20. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I think it's fairly obvious who is favored (Denning, Luceno, Zahn for examples) and who got the "Don't call us, we'll call you" treatment (Cunningham and the fellas who wrote "Jedi Trial" spring to mind). But yeah, LFL and/or Del Rey would NEVER come out publically and state as such.

21. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I've always wondered where someone like KJA figured into something like this. I've been thinking he most likely fits into the same areas as Stackpole in that they/he's so busy doing other things. Especially considered all he's done in Star Wars. Really would doubt he'd get the whole "don't call us, we'll call you" treatment that some of the other authors might have gotten.

I would love to see more Star Wars material from him though. Jedi Academy is still my favorite EU trilogy.

22. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    KJA's still around, since he co-wrote some of the new essential guides.

23. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Well, not necessarily--if he worked on the old iteration, and the author revised his text as opposed to building a new one, he'd deserve a credit. I don't know if he worked on the old ones or not, though. :)

24. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    He did. And Dan Wallace did most all of the work on the new one, but I don't know whether or not KJA contributed in any way to the new version beyond his original contributions to the old.

- Keralys

25. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    walter jon williams of destinys way is no doudt one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.