main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Exodus: Gods and Kings

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Easily the best big screen rock monsters since Galaxy Quest

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The angels/rock monsters were pretty excellent in Noah- at first they seem like an odd fantasy inclusion for a biblical story (albeit one with an awesome visual style throwback to stop motion animation), but then as they are explained they make a lot more sense and, ultimately almost become the heart of the film (or, at the very least, the most sympathetic characters- given that they were punished for helping people, compared to Noah who has the whole accessory-to-genocide thing going on).

3. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah the Rock Monsters kicked ass. And Nick Nolte voiced one so that adds another plus in their corner.

I liked Noah a lot. However for some reason I just don't think Nofsky went as far as he could have. A lot to like in that movie though.

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I get the feeling Fox decided, "Hey, it worked for 'The Interview'."

The2ndQuest likes this.
  6. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Being that I am not a religious type of person and if anything I boarder on being an agnostic and when the mood catches me right i lean toward Buddhism, i don't care about Biblical Inaccuracies. I am seeing Exodus Gods And Kings on Wednesday at 12:00PM at my local Regal. Has anyone on here actually seen the movie and can please tell me what they thought of the film, instead of critiquing a film before actually seeing it? My two favorite Ridley Scott movies are Gladiator and Kingdom Of Heaven !!!!!!!!!!!!

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I've seen it .

it's ok , the 3D is actually quite good in this , Scott doesn't keep shaking the camera about etc.

Bale and Eggerton are pretty good , but other actors barely have anything to do - sigourney weaver and aaron paul .

the plagues are well done , it's great when the crocodiles start attacking , had me laughing anyway , good CG , God is very vengeful and full of wrath !

it was better than I expected .

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

I saw it a couple of weeks ago. Honestly, I didn't think it was that good. It only has a rating of 29% on RT, which should say volumes.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I was sorry to hear about the negative response. I figured it would be cool seeing the plagues on the big screen and Bale is a great pick for Moses. But I guess it didn't work.

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

To be fair, it looked great and the performances were bad as such, but other than a few scenes of Ramses kicking ass, nobody really has anything to do.

11. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    But what did you guys think of Kingdom Of Heaven? That is one of my favorite Ridley Scott Movies, may be we just have major differences in what we think is a good movie??

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Well, I haven't seen the DC of KOH, so I can't comment on that, but even taking the TC on its own merits, its a much movie than E:GAK. I remember a few years ago, Steven Spielberg working on an Exodus film tentatively titled Gods and Kings and in that light, E:GAK might actually have the some of the same problems that Interstellar had, in that it was partially reworked Spielberg script that needed a couple of more drafts.

13. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I was under the impression that Spielberg ditched the idea of Gods And Kings because both his and Ridley's film were to come out at roughly the same time and Spielberg did not want to be a copycat of Ridley so he made his Cold War movie instead? Similar reason was given to why Spielberg did not Direct Interstellar he thought there were to many films coming out about space and he had done to many space pictures.

and on a side note I have not seen the Directors Cut of Kingdom Of Heaven but I thought the original cut that I have on DVD was Awesome I loved it, what did you think of the original cut on its own ?

14. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    First of all, this is the first I've heard of a Steve Spielberg Cold War thriller, so that's very interesting news. As for Spielberg's and Scott's competing Exodus projects, I only every heard about Gods and Kings, even then only a couple of times, so my natural assumption was that Spielberg walked away and the script bounced around Hollywood for awhile until it caught the attention of someone else who interested. As for KOH, I've heard repeatedly that the Director's Cut is the definitive version, but the theatrical is a very watchable film in its own right.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IMO, the TC of KoH was slow-paced to the point of boredom, and the characters were underdeveloped with murky motivations and relationships. The director's cut cleared up those issues. It is a longer film, but it felt shorter because it was so much more interesting.

16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    KoH looks great and there's some great action at the end , but it's killed by Orlando Bloom's performance , he's too wet .

17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Exodus: Gods And Kings
    Bible belter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Plot
    Kin to the future Pharaoh and enjoying a life of luxury, Moses (Bale) is rather shocked to discover he’s actually a member of the Hebrew people ‘his’ family have kept in slavery for 400 years. And that God wants him to lead them to freedom...

Review
    [​IMG]
    Browse more images »
    The Bible shows us God can talk through killing or through allowing his son to be killed. It’s the weird, confusing and sometimes wonderful contrast between the Old and New Testaments. The achievement of Ridley Scott’s take on the most famous story of exile, imprisonment and escape is not that it solves that apparent contradiction – that would be a miracle – but that it lives in it. This is a film that poses more questions than it answers. Where does faith become fanaticism? When does freedom fighting become terrorism? Why does God work through people, or people pretend to be Gods? All that, and **** gets blown up. Well, okay, not quite: people are devoured, sliced and starved in wide-screen spectacle. Oh and, yes – spoiler alert, if you didn’t pay attention in Sunday School – children are killed in their sleep.
    Scott has DeMillions to mount the ten plagues and eclipses Cecil’s Ten Commandments with aplomb and invention. The script by Adam Cooper & Bill Collage, Jeffrey Caine and Steven Zaillian brightly attempts to rationalise the horrors that befall the Egyptian people, before leading us along with Moses to realise the answer may be in how God identifies himself: “I Am”.
    If you ignore the scale, splendour and slaughter – for a moment – then the biblical pic this bears most comparison to is not those afternoon-long ’50s costume parties, but The Last Temptation Of Christ. Like Scorsese’s heartfelt, fascinating film – too readily dismissed by some Christians as heretical – Exodus: Gods And Kings has a lead who’s not sure if he’s the messiah or just a very naughty boy. Is he mad or bad or from God? Bale, here, is perfect casting, at war with himself as much as he is with Egypt. You feel that tension throughout his performance and throughout the film. It’s a Bible epic that isn’t sure that God exists, and isn’t sure he’s benevolent. But it is also a film that wants, in its heart, to believe.

Verdict
    As spectacular and surprising as you would expect from Scott. Its spiritual uncertainty – and lack of triumphalism – perhaps robs it of a truly satisfying, cathartic conclusion, but also makes for a truly modern, thoughtful biblical blockbuster.

[​IMG]
    Reviewed by Nev Pierce
    .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I went on Empire On lines message boards and went to the Exodus Gods And Kings review thread, the review thread has only one page and most people on there don't like the film but two people loved it, I know, its a small sample size....

this is a review from Empire Magazine, one of my favorite Magazines that I will be subscribing to in 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As often is the case with Scott's epics, I'm rather curious to see if an extended cut is released, particularly if it expands the pre-exile portion if the story (or Ramese's in general), as I found a lot of those dynamics to be when the film was actually working well (outside of the plagues).

The film overall may not have been that good beyond the visuals, but it does have those few nugget of time when it manages to work in spurts and gives you a glimpse of the good film it arrived to become but fell notably short of.

19. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Me and my dad just got back from a 12:00 PM showing of Exodus Gods And Kings and we both absolutely loved it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would say Scott's best film in the epic genre since Kingdom Of Heaven and Gladiator, I found Robin Hood to be incredibly boring but I loved Prometheus but Prometheus was in a totally different Genre. I really don't get all the hate the film is getting on here? At least my favorite Magazine Empire Magazine gave it a really positive review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  21. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Diggy May be I missed your review of the movie but, what did you think of it?

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh, I wouldn't waste my time or money seeing this! Do you see the trailers? It looked terrible!

23. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Diggy May be I missed your review of the Film but, what did you think of the movie?
    @Chancellor_Ewok

Every thing I said about Spielberg and the film he was going to call "GODS AND KINGS" and Spielberg's Cold war film are true I heard it on Empire Online You can probably get it on the Archived section of Empire Online's headline section of there site. The cold war movie is in post production i think, and filmed in New York And London, you can probably check out production photos on Empire Online Or on Google....

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    As the Virgin Mary said to the Arc Angel Gabriel...come again?

25. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You mean more ludicrous than repopulating the world with only a handful of people and only two of every animal species in the world after being tucked inside one really big boat for the better part of two months after a capricious imaginary sky friend decided to flood the world as a do over? More ludicrous than that, son?

Edit:

The Director's Cut of KOH is an excellent film, in my opinion. This and Blackhawk Down are definitely two of his best more recent efforts.