Exotic Lightsabers

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by fryda_swaid, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fryda_swaid Jedi Knight

star 1
    Looking for game stats for forked lightsabers, light daggers, and light whips. Can someone point me in the right direction?
  2. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    Lightwhip

weighs: 1.5 kg
    range: 6m
    damage: 3d6
    crit range: 20
    skill: craft (lightwhip)
    Feat: Exotic weapon proficiency (lightwhip)

plus the normal bonus for disarm/trip whichever it is in the book :)

3. DarthBobbalot Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    what about light shurikens? Are those possible?
  4. fryda_swaid Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't see why not. A Kerestian darkstick is similar in concept to a light shuriken.
  5. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "Light Shurikens"?
    I believe it's called "a Blaster"

Sorry to sound nasty, uppity, and snooty, but these sound like Kevin J Anderson's more horrible reject ideas.
  6. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    A shuriken would typically be used in stealth, correct? Rather than using a gun or something blatant.

A "light shuriken" would be glowing...therefore obvious.

If you have line of sight on someone, why throw a light shuriken, when you have the option of a blaster? Doesn't make sense to me.

If you need to cut through the DR of something, you could simply use saber throw. When the lightsaber returns to your hand, it can be practically used in melee and for deflection. Once you've thrown the light shuriken, is there any use once you get it back?

Can't see much of a tactical use for such a device.

Koohi's phrasing amused me greatly.
  7. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I suppose it could be something like the star-shaped weapon from Krull, if anyone remembers that movie. Use the Force to telekenetically control it. Of course, the big drawback to telekenetic control is someone with stronger TK can take control of it from you...

Light-dagger is just a short lightsaber. Luke used a knob to shorten the length of his saber to mere centimeters in Splinter of the Minds Eye so that he could pick a lock.

Forked lightsaber? What, like a trident? Why would you want something like that? What's the benefit? I suppose you could tie two smaller sabers to a pole with the diameter of the pole separating them, but again, I don't see the reason to do so.

----------
    Always happy to entertain. :)
  8. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    on star wars galaxies (ick!) there's a Polearm Lightsaber variant, but afaik there's no rules on it
  9. DarthBobbalot Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    what i meant was a light shuriken being a 4 bladed lightsaber. No real purpose to it except it would be kind of neat to see someone use it without dying. That would be an extreme feat in my book.
  10. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I might award an intimidation bonus for such a display.
    :eek: =D= [face_hypnotized]
  11. fryda_swaid Jedi Knight

star 1
    The Zeison Sha Force Adepts presented in the Hero's Guide use a similar type of weapon known as a discblade. However, considering their opinion of Jedis it is highly unlikly that they would teach a Jedi how to use one.

So you're saying that they would both do the same damage.

Actually I had a similar image when i first heard about this rare lightsaber. Actually it is a lightsaber that has a second blade that comes off at a 45 degree angle frome the first. Here is a link to the wookieepedia artical about it: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Forked_lightsaber

Always happy to be entertained.[face_dancing]
  12. DarthBobbalot Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah that forked lightsaber looks awesome... I was just having an image in my mind last night of a 4 bladed lightsaber and it kind of reminded me of that Klingon metal thing, but only a lightsaber. You'd have the regular double bladed part, and then have a little part of the hilt come perpendicular to the hilt and jutt off about 4 inches or so, and then have it turn off parallel to the main part of the hilt and have the 3rd and 4th blades parallel to the main blades. So in effect you could catch lightsabers down the center and twist their blades out of their grip, and possibly a lot of other things. It would be awesome. I need to start writing fanfic again so i can create an uber saber duelist.
  13. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    a lightsaber is a lightsaber is a lightsaber.
    Same damage, even if you have the 2km blade-length varient. double-bladed? still does the same damage, but might add +5 to the difficulty to use it. Set it to dagger length? No problem: the energy output is the same.

This is why I like d6.
  14. DarthBobbalot Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well i think the attack should be significantly decreased if youre using my view of the 4 bladed lightsaber, but if you get enough feats in it then your attack and defense should be raised.. thats looking at it from an rpg standpoint, i was actually just looking at it from a effectiveness and a fanfic type of thing... It WOULD be awesome, i think. But meh, i can't write anymore lol. Someone should implement it into their campaign! Its a neat idea!
  15. Shrimpus Jedi Knight

star 1
    The Sith Lanvarok is also close to the shuriken. Though, there is very little "light" to it. Just a bunch of metal death disc's meant to perforate the opponents vitals with a little help from the force.
  16. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    While some of the 'exotic' stuff I find to be straight up silly, I have somewhat encouraged some uniqueness, albeit in simple ways.

Strobe:
    In base of the Lightsaber hilt is a high intensity strobe light. A Jedi may make a moderate difficulty feint, and if successful, a single opponent loses initiative for a round and has a -2D to parry.
  17. Nktalloth Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just for the sake of silliness: The light-discus.

It's four lightsabers activated by a force technique embedded inside a discus and permanently set to a short length. You throw it at someone, and while they wonder what the hell you threw, you activate it via the force and watch the mayhem.

Not very usefull.

But wouldn't it be awesome?
  18. Fanficfan Jedi Knight

star 3
    4 bladed saber eh? I've actually tried something similar with 2 firesticks crossed over each other and it's near impossible for me. I suspect that if I practised with it all the time I could probably make it look respectable, but I doubt it would ever be effective for fighting. Never the less, it would be awesome as an rpg device, perhaps for the uber baddie.

Being as KotoR is the only rpg rule set I have even a basic understanding off I'm trying to present this weapon in that format...

4 bladed saber:
    Damage: same as a normal lightsaber (2-20 I think)
    Critical hit: 17x20
    -6 to attack
    +2 to defence
    +2 attack per round
    2 handed weapon (well not really, but seriously, imagine trying to make the other hand do anything...)

Can be upgraded the same as a normal saber (maybe have extra cyrstals?)

Visually I see the blades as being shorter than on a short lightsaber. The handles would have to be fairly thin too, otherwise it would be near impossible to manuever it around your body. Could have the option of having each blade a different colour.

That's all I've got for the moment, feel free to play with these rules, it's not like I've copyrighted them ;)
    Let me know ehat you think, one way or the other
    fanficfan
  19. dizfactor Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No, it's not. If anything, it's a (and I feel dirty just typing this) "lightboomerang."

Well, lightwhips have appeared in the Marvel comics, The Cestus Deception, and Jedi vs. Sith. I actually kind of like them.

There are D20 stats for short lightsabers (aka "lightdaggers") somewhere. Yoda's lightsaber is a short saber, as is Sora Bulq's off-hand saber, and it's not supposed to do as much damage as a full length saber.

Light shurikens [face_rolling eyes] have thankfully not appeared in anything outside this thread.

The Kerestian darkstick, while lame, is canon, but before you get snooty about D6, please note that they first appeared in a WEG Galaxy Guide.

Fanficfan, you spin fire?
  20. Nktalloth Jedi Knight

star 1
    Somehow a lightwhip sounds incredibly useless to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it could kill someone very easily, but the sheer collateral damage caused by it'd be little intimidating. Not to mention the purpose of a whip is to:

A) Deal non-lethal damage as a punishment.

or,

B) Disarm or otherwise restrain someone.

So, as the nature of a lightwhip removes the two primary uses of a whip along with the Indiana Jones coolness tricks, it seems like it'd be a pretty useless weapon.

Dear God but I just realised how late I am responding to that...
  21. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Never heard of this darkstick thing. (not doubting your word, just that it's never come up). Any idea which WEG galaxy guide it was in? Any chance it might have been included in another book?

Marvel comics also had all lightsabers with red blades for a number of years.

Don't forget the Ferengi energy whips that appeared in 1 episode of ST:TNG, and (as far as I know) never again.
  22. Darth_Laudrup Force Ghost

star 4
    Nope the energy whip never appeared again. Indeed the entire Ferengi race was changed for the better.

23. dizfactor Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Galaxy Guide 12: Aliens - Enemies and Allies, in the entry for Kerestians.

The D20 version is included in the Ultimate Alien Anthology, also in the entry for Kerestians.
  24. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yup, there it is.
    Oddly, it has never come up in any game I've played.

Probablly never will unless I want to give it to a really nasty bounty hunter. That ought to scare the party...
  25. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I'd think a disruptor weapon would induce more fear, at least in my party, but then again you'd probably have to have Knowledge (technology) to even know that it's a disruptor, so I guess a flaming whip might have more fear-inducing properties than a disruptor: "Hey, that guys holding a really weird looking blaster-*boom!* DEAD!" :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.