main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Expanded Universe Defense Force

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , May 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Random movie quote:
    "It's all coming back to me now...You abandoned me! You left me here while you fooled around with that trollop! I spend half my life rotting in a cell, and now you come traipsing back, and expect me to travel to the ends of the Earth on some wild adventure, just because you ask me to?"

"Yes."

"Right then."

A Friendly Reminder Regarding the SotJ Site:

Remember boys & girls, that this is a public site. As such, people can & do lurk here without ever having to post. Keep in mind that there are some who lurk here who are rather hostile towards the EUDF.

Someone here made a joke about attacking the Ex-U thread and the SotJ site. A SotJ was lurking here and I've found that as a whole, SotJ-ers are very lacking in a sense of humor when it comes to the EUDF and are also paranoid in the extreme. Reaper & I spent two days over at SotJ getting the purists there to chill out and put down the torches & pitchforks in the aftermath of what what clearly (to us) a joke.

So far, the furor has died down, but those folks are amazingly touchy.

In the words of the wise sage Ice-T, "Freedom of speech, just watch what you say." :cool:

2. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    Someone here made a joke about attacking the Ex-U thread and the SotJ site

Er... that was me [face_blush]

BUT! As someone once said -

"Fishi is just a nutcase, not a troublemaker" ;)

3. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    bah!
    *takes a nutcracker and cracks fishi*

4. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I definitely avoid that place, but I never would sign up there NOR post there because I was viciously flamed there for being a member of the EUDF and the Mara Jade Fan Club.

I'd rather spend time here - anyway.

Silver 4 ready for duty. Any problem threads?

5. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I was actually pretty upset that some people at SotJ took fishi's joke so seriously. It wasnt so much that they were angry about it,(that didnt concern me at all, really) but what actually got me upset was the fact that SotJ just wont go away. I hadnt even thought about that site until this stuff happened the other day.

Sometimes I wish I had one of those mind eraser things from MIB so I could permanently erase all memory of SotJ from my mind. :::Sigh:::::

6. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I totally agree with you DVader......that's why I pretend they don't exist.....like they pretend we don't exist........

Yes, it was a joke.

This is what I can't understand: if people hate the EU, then why do they read the EU books? Is it because they want to see what the authors have done? Or is it because they want to bash it?

I like the EU as a whole, and I can't imagine the star wars universe w/o it......I can't imagine how boring it would be not to read about Luke and his teaching and stuff......

Sure, there would be fanfiction, but then there have to be more OCs.......

The EU gives us a diverse look at the star wars universe itself, introducing us to new places........new characters......new ideas........

Silver 4 going to read fanfiction, be back later.

7. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    I hope they don't take my joke a couple pages back seriously.

8. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    which one F_L?

9. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Im not concerned about it, F_L, nor should you be.

10. Fire_Light

Mar 24, 2002
    The one where I talked about that site, but using pretty much the same words Boromir did when talking about Mordor in the LOTR movie. I thought it was funny. :D

11. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    New EUDF Recruiting Slogan - "Completists Have More Fun" :D :cool:

Thread in EUC, somebody asking why we like EU, several purists have posted

No flaming, so far several EUDF members have posted and everythinkg's okey-dokey, just felt like this would be a good opportunity to make some of our core points on home territory.

EDIT: F_L, I don't care what they say about you, that was funny as hell! [face_laugh]

12. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Everything's ok...so far...

13. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I posted, too, using the same reason I like the EU that I posted here: The EU gives us a diverse look at the star wars universe itself, introducing us to new places........new characters......new ideas........
    to that thread........

If there is any trouble, I'll alert and I'm sure others will alert.

14. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    "A movie fan likes the movies; A Star Wars fan likes it all."

:D

I don't see any trouble coming from that thread. It's already been well saturated by EU fans and EUDF members alike... :)

15. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    True, but I figured with the lack of action around here a safe little debate on our own EU-friendly home turf is a good warm-up exercise.

16. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    And there are also a fair amount of Purists posting there as well.

Let's keep an eye on this one, folks.

17. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    <adrenaline...pumping>

I'm ready! Lemme at 'em!!

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "This is what I can't understand: if people hate the EU, then why do they read the EU books?"

Some of the people who hate the EU most passionately are in fact folks who used to love it. Darth Holliday, Bratzilla, quietlunatic, & jewlmc, for example, are folks who used to enjoy EU. We've all heard stories of how love turns to hate. That's the case with a lot of folks at Ex-U and SotJ.

You'll notice that the more reasonable purists, like Iron Parrot & SBH Jr., never liked EU in the first place. Without a strong emotional attachment to begin with, they are not as passionate in their opposition to the EU.

19. Fire_Light

Mar 24, 2002
    :eek: We all love the EU! Does that mean some of us will become purists?! (eyes his comrades suspicously)

j/k ;)

20. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Good points, Merk.

Also, the debate seems to have picked up in the 'Isnt the EU strange thread.'

21. Fire_Light

Mar 24, 2002
    DV, if I ever become a purist you have my permission to shoot me.

;)

22. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    if the debate continues heavily, do we have permission for "agressive negotiations"? I don't mean literally of course!

I think one PROBLEM people have with the EU is that Luke was allowed to *marry*. And to marry a non-movie character.

So what?

At least he is happy.

23. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Though Luke didn't know about the old Jedi Code, and as he was the founder of the NJO, no-one else would have either...

24. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    well, there were those data disks he got in Courtship of Princess Leia.......

In fact, those disks have never been brought up since that book was written........another part of inconsistency errors......but I still read the EU regardless because I LOVE It.

25. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Well then, it's just another one of those 'binding everything together' plots Sw is full of; both Luke and Anakin broke the Jedi Code to get married. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.